SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcmatteo_gw

Building a 2nd floor addition and have a problem

MarcMatteo
12 years ago

I'll try to make this brief. We are building a 2nd floor addition over the back room of our house. The main living area has a cathedral ceiling currently with 2x8 ceiling joists at 16" on center and a span of only 8 ft (the ceiling begins on an angle, it then goes straight, then comes down on an angle to the load bearing wall that is the entrance to the back room). So now, we are raising the wall to the entrance of the back room by 8'10" eliminating the slope of the ceiling. Here's my dilemma. The ceiling joists will now span a total of 36 feet. 19 feet to the first load bearing wall then 16 feet to the second load bearing wall (which are the new bedrooms). Code calls for R38 insulation which doesn't fit in 2x8 ceiling joists. Foam is not an option because of the expense. So here's my two questions. One, can I replace the existing 2x8's with 2x12's? And two, because of the great span, can I have a 19 foot 2x12 go from the one side to the first load bearing wall and then a 16 foot 2x12 to go to the next load bearing wall? Structurally will this work?

Comments (5)