SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_19

Gambrel roof 2nd floor addition

dan-19
17 years ago

I am contemplating replacing the gable roof on a ranch with a gambrel roof to allow for additional space on the second floor. I have been reviewing several books and other sources regarding the kind of framing required, but I would welcome additional input. The style of the roof I am considerint would be steep lower sections ~60 degrees and less stee upper sections.

The existing home is supported by reinforced concrete foundation (basement) and steel center beam. the width is about 24' I would prefer an open span in at least portions of the second floor.

Would it be possible to use 2x6 or 2x8 roof rafters, joined at the ridge and joints with plywood gussets to span the entire area? If not, I would consider a structural ridge beam, but since I do not need this across the entire length, I am wondering what might suffice for about 20-24 feet of span. I don't need to have a ceiling that follows the roof line exactly, in fact, I would prefer enough "attic" space to run HVAC ductwork under the peak.

I would appreciate advice, links, references to good books or anything that will put me on the right track. I have worked as a home improvement contractor, built smaller additions. I prefer doing the job myself, but I want to do the job right.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments (3)