SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Buyers remorse? I bought a Janome Mystyle 100

User
12 years ago

I was planning on trading my Pfaff in on a fancy new machine, but not my old New Home. I was just going to get it fixed and save it for my take along machine.

My New Home was over 22 years old, a real workhorse with straight stitches, and not the least bit picky about type of thread or fabric (except knits).

It was making a high pitched squealing noise so I took it in and the diagnosis was that it needed to be serviced. The usual service charge was $99 but it was going to be $180 for this.

I told them to just do it then and both the sales lady and the service tech said I would be better off with a new machine for the same price. Lighter machine, same stitches, and a year warranty vs 60 days on the repair. My New Home was $450 new in 1987, and the new Janome was $189 with the trade-in. The suggested retail of the Janome is $299 but most stores sell it for $229. They said they'll use the New Home for parts so basically, I got $40 credit for the trade. I kept all the feet since they'll fit the new machine.

I haven't taken the new machine out of the box yet. What if it won't sew over a bulky seam like a flying geese? I'm thinking I could just take it back tomorrow and have them fix my old machine.

My dh said he knew I would start having buyers remorse the minute I signed the check, but it didn't start until I got home and started looking at reviews on the Horizon 7700 and the Pfaff Quilt Expression. People seem to have so much trouble with straight stitches, even 1/4" seams, and thread snarls that I thought I made a terrible mistake trading in my old machine.

Did I?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County