SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scuzz

Quartz Installation Nightmare

12 years ago

After 4 months of renovation, my quartz countertops were finally installed along with my sink last Friday. I could hardly stand the suspense and excitement...running water! Maybe even my rangetop installed soon!!! But those dreams were short lived as soon as I saw the installation of those countertops.

I was a little annoyed by the installation company, as I had called the day prior with my cell number just in case they were somewhat early for the 2-4pm installation. At noon, my GC called and said "Guess who's in your driveway?" So I leave work, rush home to find the installers who had called my home phone..so much for calling ahead of time with cell number. I had also discussed the issue of whether I had to have a seam; when the guy came to measure he put on the checklist a notation to have the salesman call me to give me a price without a seam. No one called during the 10 day waiting period, so that was one of my day-before questions. Salesman said I had to have a seam as the counter top was going in between two walls and they could not risk ruining drywall etc. I again said I was concerned about seeing this seam and he reiterated the seam would be no wider than a hair. OK fine.

I hung around downstairs for abit prior to installation discussing seams etc with the head installer who was more interested in letting me know way too much about his private life. I have asthma issues and once they starting installation, I spent most of my time during the installation upstairs with the windows open trying to breathe as the smell was overpowering.

For whatever reason, and I understand my responsibility in this, I did not check the finished product nor did the installer ask me to look at it. I have to tell you I have no idea why I did what I did..I have checked and double checked every other vendor/installer that has been in my home for window replacement, carpet etc etc. In my defense, I did have a major concussion last fall and have been dealing with brain issues every since. However, what was done was done and by my looking at it then, wouldn't have changed the installation problems. This is a reputable company that my original kitchen designer uses exclusively and I couldn't imagine any issues. So,I went outside to pay them with GC's without looking at the installation.

I walked back in when the smell had lessened and to my horror found these issues...see coming pics. I immediately called the salesman. (MY GC had left at noon that day for his vacation, so I had to handle this....payment was handled through my GC). The salesman handed my call over to the installer who had just walked in. I started to discuss the widening seam connecting the two pieces and the installer said "You are just seeing shadows..there is no problem with that seam." I found it insulting and ridiculous. I decided I would not speak to him anymore and ended the conversation. I photographed all of the issues and sent an email to the salesman that night along with a request to meet with me and my GC the first of next week. I asked the saleman to confirm. I received an automated message stating that the salesman was out of town until April 23 and to send all correspondence to another salesman. I then forwarded my original email and photos to this current salesman. I have had no response.

I called my GC and left a voicemail so he knows what's happening. Although I doubt he can get reception where he's at now.

I am appalled that I haven't heard from the fabricator/installer. I have run my own service oriented business for 30+ years, and can't imagine not responding to a client's unhappy email. (Thankfully, I've only had to respond to one of those since I've been in business and I won't go into that).

I am angry, scared, nervous as I am dealing with this issue as a single woman, and unfortunately have run into some less than stellar behaviour on some vendors attitudes..including being called a "little woman". I've read on another post here, that under no circumstances should I let them do any work on site. My GC will be back within a week and now I have visions of my cabinets being ruined if these counters need to come out. I pulled a tube of unused RTV Silicone White Lightning out of this trash heap the installers left in my garage along with lots of razor blades, used gloves, rags, some kind of mixed epoxy and paper toweling that they had thrown on top of the sink box. Again, IMO, sloppy work and clean up.

I know that emailing is the best way to go since I will then have proof of dealing with this.

Has anyone had similar issues and what have you done? Or any guidance on what to do during the time my GC is away?

Thanks for letting me vent and sorry for the long post.

[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x26/harleysbud/newcounterssinkwall.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (35)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH