SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

'Adjust' or replace laminate counter?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

We have an 11ft x 6ft (overlap in the corner, so really a 4ft butting into 11ft) "L" shaped countertop in my modular home built June 2007. No backsplash. There is 1/4" gap at back of sink, 1/8" gap in other places I thought a tile b/s could cover.

But in measuring the overhangs I realized that even with the 1/4" gap behind the sink, I only have 3/4" overhang in front, which is why I keep dripping water down the face! The overhang on that 11ft long leg of the "L" ranges from 7/8" near the range to 3/4" over the whole 36" sink base to almost an inch (15/16") to left of DW, where part of corner cabinet door is. The overhang on the short (6ft) leg of the L is 1 1/8" with only about 1/8" gap at the back. I figure since DH probably won't go for replacing 17ft of countertop with the exact same thing b/c of builder's mistake (and it's out of "warranty" - only had 1 yr for workmanship), I have to live with it until the laminate starts getting really scratched and icky, but try not to destroy the sink base. Although the cabinet boxes are particleboard, the drawers have solid sides, fronts and backs with dovetails and Blum Tandem Plus glides so we think they should last.

So I was wondering if it might be possible (or worthwhile) to unscrew the countertop, disconnect all the plumbing, take down the fridge cabinet and end panels, and try to slide the long leg forward 1/8" - 1/4" (and cut the short leg shorter at the fridge). Or maybe even just try to pivot it a little and maybe we won't have to cut it. I would just have a larger gap at the back that I could then cover with oak trim or backerboard and tile.

Or we could replace it - builder gave me $500 for a screw they put up through near the stove, I know it won't pay for the whole thing (I didn't notice the other issues at that time and used the $ for island) but would it be better than fussing with it?

Should I go back to the builder (who doesn't work with this factory anymore - in fact, I don't think he built a house at all last year so is probably out of business) and tell him about the uneven overhang, and the cabinet with the back corner broken out, even though the 1-yr warranty on workmanship is long over and I already took $ for this same section of countertop? I'm just thinking I'll get nowhere with that.

Or should I just trim out the existing gap, try not to drip too much and ruin the sink cabinet, and just plan on replacing all the countertops (roughly 67-68 sf) about 8-10 years from now?

Comments (6)