SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keepermom_gw

Master suite addition - bath vs closet

KeeperMom
12 years ago

I am new to the site but I have been lurking for a while.

I am considering an addition to my tiny little house. I currently have about 1320 sq feet in my 1950s rancher.

A lot of families in my hood are adding on or even tearing down existing structures to build bigger homes. I think we are maintaining our property value pretty well.

Since my house is small I don't want to double my size necessarily but I want to get the most bang for my buck. While I'm not going to sell anytime soon but I want to consider resale value. I definitely do not want to over-build for my existing footprint or my 'hood.

I would like to add approx 800 sq feet to include a master suite with bath and closet, a laundry room and a family room. Due to some structural constraints (roof, property, etc) I can only do so much.

It is currently just me and my tween child right now but what I have is getting smaller and smaller each year.

Do I build a great "glamor" bath and a small-ish closet or do I go with a decent master bath and get a bigger closet?

Also, would you rather have a separate shower and tub with a single sink vanity or a great shower, no tub and double vanity? Whichever I chose I can probably have at least a sink with a make up desk. Of course, there is the option of a shower/tub combo but I really don't think that's what I want. I'm not sure I would use a tub because I've never really had a tub so.....Maybe I'd like it?

I do have a full bath in the existing hall bath and have a small shower in my existing master bath so I have at least one full bath in this house.

I'm just having a tough time deciding which one I'd rather have. One one hand, a smaller bathroom = less to clean, but on the other, I might enjoy a tub bath and so might my kiddo.

I have a million and one redesign / remodeling questions! So many decisions....so little money!

thanks for any suggestions!

meredith

Comments (5)