SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Today's arrivals? Tree Swallows! 3 pics

caroline94535
14 years ago

The new bird arrival for today is the "Tree Swallow".

They came zooming in this morning with great fan-fair and hysterical twittering (not the digital kind! LOL). They've checked out the bluebird and chickadee boxes, tried the back-yard gourd that is hanging in the maple tree on for size, irritated the martins and, in general, acted like Tree Swallows.

We're still trying to get three more nesting boxes up, so I'm sure they'll eventually settle down. "We" will make more progress when hubby gets off 13-hour shifts and finishes his Terrorist Awareness training.

I think the Cape May Warbler has left for the completion of his migration route. I've not seen him all day. It was so exciting to add a "new bird" to my list. He was such a delightful little visitor while he was here; I hope he comes back through in the fall.

It really may be "spring" now! Purple Martins, Baltimore Orioles, Hummingbirds, Rose-Breasted Grossbeaks, Harris Sparrows, and Tree Swallows! Today is the first day I've ventured outside without my fleece hoody on.

A pair of tree swallows on a nest box

And this is my photo of a Tree Swallow checking his nest in one of my smaller, natural gourds.

My first clutch of five Tree Swallow hatchings from 2006. They all fledged. TSs line their nest with feathers, lots of big, fluffy, preferably white, feathers.

Comments (8)