SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

Need ideas on addition/remodel (floor plan attached)

newenglandsara2
10 years ago

Hi All,

Our family of five is downsizing to a smaller house within our neighborhood, but we will still need to renovate and make some additions (hopefully small ones) to the new house. We are trying to work as much as possible within the existing floor plan. We welcome some fresh opinions, if you have a moment to take a look.

As you will see, the house includes a first floor family room addition that has not been built above on the second floor. There is also a decent-sized screened-in porch, but our architect hasn't measured it yet. (I penciled it in.) That could probably be strengthened with piers and added above. Finally, there is an attached two car garage, but it isn't in great shape. Our architect said that we could probably shore up the foundation with insulation, but it would take a lot of work in the garage to make it a decent enough space to build above. (Plus, we would lose a bedroom to create access to the garage.) We COULD do a small bump out off the back of the house, but we are trying to keep additions as minimal as possible. Still, this might be necessary....

Here are the things we would like to have:

*a 4th bedroom upstairs
*a master bathroom upstairs (a double shower would be great, but we don't need a tub)
*laundry on the 2nd floor (side-by-side in a closet is okay)
*a mudroom on the first floor
*a full bath on the first floor (instead of a half bath)
*an open concept kitchen and family room space with the family room oriented at the back of the house
*an eating area near the kitchen that is separate from a kitchen island

I welcome any and all ideas!

I will add the first floor existing plan to this email and create a follow-up post with the second floor plan.

Thanks!

Sara

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida