SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tauphidelt

Take the Risk of Dual Ownership?

16 years ago

We have put an offer on a house that is vacant. Currently it includes a contingency with a kick-out clause that we sell our current home by December 31. However, the sellers' agent has said that they'll entertain the offer but will want to see our house on the market by the end of next week.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

We weren't planning to move. Woke up last Friday and said, "I want a new toy" and by Monday had found this house. Since I'm not quite done with my kitchen remodel, I have no idea what brought this on, but the house is in even worse shape from everything being moved to temporary locations while that was going on.

Aside from general decluttering, major things to be redone include refinishing hardwood floors downstairs (we did the kitchen/dining room and were just waiting for that project to finish to redo the rest, which have pet stains and are very worn); repaint most of downstairs to something more neutral than "retina-searing yellow"; reframe/rescreen the formerly-screened porch to repair damage where the dogs decided they wanted an open-air porch; rebuild rotting railroad-tie steps in the back yard; fire-bomb the basement workroom because there just is no hope for it.

Coincidentally, we just found out a large chunk of money we're due should actually appear in about two weeks. It would be enough to put 20% down on the new house, move, do the repairs and cover both mortgages for a period of time. Clearly the painting/floors could be done so much easier if the house were empty, and with 3 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats, the thought of keeping the house clean for showings is overwhelming. That's after I get through the overwhelming part of even getting it ready without the major repairs.

The agent says we can list without actively showing, but I feel that just negatively impacts the long term, when days on the market shows high or an agent sees its current condition and seriously lowballs us and forevermore remembers it with bad floors and screaming paint and a junky screened porch.

So, while I think it would be so much easier to deal with an empty house and I truly believe it will sell faster if it is vacant, I just wonder if I'm not trying to talk myself into it because it's the easier route to move first. I do think my house will sell, I've looked at the comps, we're a good location, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for the risk of owning two for an indefinite length of time.

Comments (19)