SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daba78

Is this a job for a structural engineer?

daba78
15 years ago

Hello!

While reading these forums over the years, I have occasionally seen references to structural engineers, and the use of them to verify the soundness of construction. I was wondering if one would be useful in my case.

Here's the deal: We are considering purchasing a house on which construction was begun, but not completed. The exterior of the house is pretty well complete (roof, siding, etc.), but the interior is not (drywall not complete, wiring roughed in but no fixtures, and so on).

We were wondering if it would be possible to hire a structural engineer at this point to verify the basic soundness of the house, in other words, if the house is properly supported, roof trusses correctly spaced, etc. Could the engineer spot any serious issues at this stage of constuction?

Also, how does one go about finding a structural engineer in his area? I consulted the Yellow Pages, and the structural engineers listed seem to do more large-scale work (commercial buildings, bridges, etc.). Would an architect's office be able to refer me to such a person?

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Comments (15)

• logic
    15 years ago

A structural engineer should be able to spot those issues on those areas that are still visible to the eye.

Many structural engineers practice soloÂor as a small business. There are number of them in our state (NJ)...you'll have to make a number of callsÂÂand if the places you call handle only large scale, they may be able to refer you to someone who does handle small scale jobs.

Make sure the engineer has a Professional Engineers (P.E.) license in good standing in your stateÂÂwhich means you will have to verify that with the office that licenses them in your state. Make sure he has errors& omission insurance as well as general liability that are currently in effect.

Last but not least make sure the person you hire is the one who will do the inspectionÂ..some P.E.'s farm it out to employees who work for themÂÂbut are NOT licensed P.E.Âs.

AlsoÂif the engineer finds errors, is your builder prepared to take his word for it and make the recommended repairs or changes? If not, can you walk away?

That is something you may wish to establish first, in your contract, before spending the money for the engineer. IMOÂÂyou first need to consult you attorney on this matter.

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I don't think I'd go for a SE. I think a good home inspector maybe actually better qualified to make judgements in the field. I assume the house already passed a rough inspection during construction, since some of the drywall is up. The only thing I would be concerned about with a house like this, is finding contractors willing to finish a half finished job (and guarantee it). You could end up paying a premium or limiting the pool of potential contractors willing to finish this type of project. I wouldn't want to be an electrician trying to finish someone elses work.

• Related Discussions

Structural engineer needed??

Q

Comments (7)
    That makes me feel a little better. It has been since January, and we have had many very bad rainstorms in that time period. We were planning on speaking with the roofers before they begin work. There are no holes in the sheathing that we have seen. So, you don't even think a home inspector is warranted? Or, is there just no one whose primary job responsibilities cover this sort of situation? Other than, of course, a GC...and that is a whole other issue. We just wanted to be sure that the wood is not somehow compromised or rotted. Thanks for the feedback.
    ...See More

Unprofessional Structural Engineer

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for your feedback! Sombreuil_mongrel: the architectural plans noted those particular roof measurements as "existing" and also included a note that measurements would need to be verified in field. The engineer's plans also included the note that measurements would need to be verified in field. Would he be liable in this case? And yes, if the architect had taken proper measurements in the first place there would be no problem, but that's neither here nor there :/
    ...See More

do we need a structural engineer?

Q

Comments (10)
    I know Lebanon, my step-son used to live there and he had an old house too. It's a lovely community, proud of their old homes, and if you got one at that price, you did well. This isn't a terribly cosmopolitan community and I'm not saying that in a disparaging way. It's a farming community, and the quintessential All American 'small town'. Sagging floors and cracking plaster are very typical problems with old homes in Ohio because of our geology. Just keep in mind that renovating an old home doesn't have to be an overnight project. It usually isn't. One lives with some of the renovation for years/decades. All the time, you find yourself learning as you go along. Our floor joist situation took us twenty some years to address, and that was as we were able to afford to address it, as we pay cash as we go along and danged glad to do it that way. I would not be afraid at all to call in various GCs to give estimates on the floor situation. Most of the time it's done for nothing. The replies and suggested fixes will go all the way from obvious patch up jobs to total tear up and replacements. But, you will get year's of experience somewhere hidden in all the info they throw at you. We were able to do some floor jacking at first and eventually ended up with joist replacement. Buying the time to do that allowed us to get all the work we needed done on a room renovation at the same time, and that translates into less disruption and a lower dollar figure. Hang in there and ask lots of questions and ask around your community for recommendations for any work you need done. You'll find in an area like that reputations get around.
    ...See More

Price for structural engineer opinion? $300?

Q

Comments (5)
    Ours charged us $200. He was the leading engineer in the firm, and did a very thorough job, knocking and cutting holes in the walls so he could see the framing behind the drywall, and crawling around from above when necessary. We wanted to knock down 3 walls to make a great room, but all the GC's we got bids from couldn't tell us if they were loadbearing or not, and wanted to build into the bid an 80K beam. I had the engineer come out after the demo...we left the framing of the 3 walls intact but ripped out all of the drywall, so he could double check before we knocked the framing down. He only charged us about $100 for his time the second visit, so our total cost was also about $300. I'd say that's a very fair price for and expert opinion. We ended up GC'ing the job ourselves, and never needed the beam. Saved a lot of money. What I learned in the process is to never scrimp on professional fees when it really counts. The peace of mind is worth it.
    ...See More
  • logic
    15 years ago

chris8796 "I think a good home inspector maybe actually better qualified to make judgements in the field"

The inspection of new construction is beyond the scope of a home inspection in many states. That said, the OP should ascertain whether or not HI can legally do so AS a "home inspection"...and if the HI has the documentation of proper insurance for such (not just take their word for it, as some HI's don't even know or care that their insurance does not cover the inspection of new construction) ...because if it is not classified as a home inspection as regulated by their state, their insurance for home inspection will not cover any errors or omissions.

In addition the OP would have to check to see just how much experience the HI has with new construction...which should be extensive..which is not too easy to find with HI's.

A home inspection is just that; the inspection of a HOMEÂand many states designate (NJ is one) that the house should have been in existence and used for at least a year.

A "home" is NOT a structure that is partially built as it is uninhabitable.

As such an HI inspection is by nationally accepted standards and most if not all state regs a PERFORMANCE inspection,Âand generally their determinations are sometimes made by observing problems that result from the structural defectsÂ..which sometimes do not become evident until the house has been used and subject to loads.

In addition,. The P.E. can provide method of repairÂ..which is also not permitted by just about every state that regulates the HI profession.

That said, if they DO hire an HIÂÂand he does cite structural issuesÂthey will have to hire the P.E. anyway for method of repairÂwhich just makes the whole process more costly.

In addition, I think a builder may be more apt to listen to a licensed structural P.E. who is a proven expert in the specific application than the HI who is a generalist.

• Linda
    15 years ago

I would say you should call a home inspector, not a structural engineer. A home inspector can inspect in various stages of construction. If he/she finds something that they believe is an issue beyond their scope of knowledge, they will tell you to have a structural engineer, well guy, septic guy etc. look at the issue. This way everything is getting inspected. There is no reason to pay for a structural engineer at this point.

• chris8796
    15 years ago

My opinion is based on my personal experiences. I know many SEs that are great doing load calculations in the office, but have less experience on an actual construction site. Most licensed SPEs I know rarely do residential site visits and would just send someone else out. There are different legal definitions of HIs, but most I have dealt with are capable of making a general inspection and identifing visible structural problems. I would expect if they had a specific structural concern they would investigate deeper and ultimately bring in a PE if needed. This is new construction, so they should have a set of plans stamped by a PE and your just making sure the contractor is doing his job/following the plans. Housing construction methods are fairly common and not exactly rocket science. I would guess very few new construction homes have ever had a LSPE inspect them. I would also say, visible structural problems are probably very rare in new construction, with the majority the result of post framing modifications (e.g. tradesman cutting or boreing a structural member).

My opinion is a HI can catch the majority of the visible structural problems while inspecting many other systems at the same time. The LSPE is an expert in structural matters. I just think it is overkill for a routine inspection. If you have reason to believe there may be specific problems or the house is very unorthodox, get the expert. If its just an average house, get the routine inspection. Ultimately you should get someone you trust.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

The best would be if you can find a structural engineer that is also a home inspector. If you are in the Austin area I can recommend one.

• logic
    15 years ago

linda 117, NYS has the same defintion of a residentail building as NJ: It is as follows:

"§ 444-b. Definitions:

5. "Home inspection" means the process by which a home inspector observes and provides a written report of the systems and components of a residential building including but not limited to heating system, cooling system, plumbing system, electrical system, structural components, foundation, roof, masonry structure, exterior and interior components or any other related residential building component as recommended by the home inspection council and implemented by the department through regulation to provide a client with objective information about the condition of the residential building. The home inspector shall clearly identify in the written report which systems and components of the residential building were observed. A home inspection shall not include an inspection for radon or pests.

7. "Residential building" means a structure consisting of one to four dwelling units and their garages and carport but shall not include any such structure newly constructed or not previously occupied as a dwelling unit."

Most HI's do not have the training education or experience to effectively perform "phase inspections" on new structures and there is nothing in any HI training course that trains for this type of inspection because it is beyond the scope.

Therefore one really needs to delve into their education, training and experience in such......as they certainly did not get it doing home inspections.One can't assume that because they practice as an HI, that they also have this experience as well..as such an assumption is without foundation.

This does not mean that none of them have the proper education, training and experience in inspecting new construction, phase or otherwise .....only that one should be aware that they need to verify the education, training and experience, and not assume that because the person is an HI they have the background by which to perform the job.

In additon, there is also the insurance issue..as the HI insurance does not cover practices beyond the scope.

If one does endeavor to hire an HI....the HI needs to documet their ability to be fully conversant in reading blueprints if the buyer wishes to know if the structure is conforming to the plans. Don't assume.

I have yet to meet an HI (and, as a consultant to the profession, I have met hundreds) who is even mildly conversant in reading blueprints. Again...this does not mean that they don't exist...only that they are few and far between.

I am often confounded by the lack of understanding of the HI profession by so many RE professionals, considering so many REA's refer HI's and impart advice about home inspections.

Lyfia's advice is spot on...hire someone who is licensed in BOTH professions, with the P.E. licensed in structural engineering. Problem solved. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Article 12-B...

• mariend
    15 years ago

If the inside (and out) are not complete, contact your local city/county building dept. You will need permits, etc to make sure this uncompleted building is up to code. No HI can do this. They are not qualified. If building was done without permits, and your county and city requires them, you have a problem. They will require plans and/or blueprints of work done and to be done.
    My DH was a inspector for LA County in CA. Also you might be required to buy construction insurance. Anyone working on the property could get hurt and who pays the bills.
    Also make sure that all the material on the property is paid for, get paid receipts. Their could be liens by a contractor. When we built, we got a lien release from the contractors, bought the stuff ourself, or got a paid in full recipt from anyone that brought material on the property.

• Linda
    15 years ago

Most HI's do not have the training education or experience to effectively perform "phase inspections" on new structures and there is nothing in any HI training course that trains for this type of inspection because it is beyond the scope.

Logic, we've gone round and round before about what a home inspector can and can't do. If a home inspector is qualified enough to find problems with a completed house, it would seem to me they can find the problems during the phases even better. IF they find an issue that is "beyond their scope" a structural engineer is recommended. Since new construction homes are being inspected by the town engineer, it seems to me there is no reason to pay for a structural engineer unless a home inspector notes something that needs attention.

If you don't have the confidence in your home inspector to do a "phase inspection" why the heck would you use him to inspect a home that is completely covered up with sheetrock?

You make it quite clear every time you comment on the qualifications of home inspections that things are the same in NJ as in NY, however, not all home inspectors are doing "just the basics". A structural engineer will inspect the structure and that is it. In my area that is a $1500 inspection if you can find someone to do it. Why not hire the home inspector for $500 and get the inspection that covers it all. If there is an issue (most times there isnt a structural issue on new construction), then a structural engineer will come in.

As a side note, I had to have a structural engineer come in to inspect a basement wall that the home inspector thought was leaning. I had a hell of a time finding someone who would come and inspect it, (the job was too small), the guy who came in the end was a home inspector with a structual engineers license.

• logic
    15 years ago

Linda 1117: If a home inspector is qualified enough to find problems with a completed house, it would seem to me they can find the problems during the phases even better.

Sigh.

Apparently you chose not to read my above post..or you failed to understand it. Home inspections are PERFORMANCE inspections.

Houses, when they are used and occupied, will show any weakness...plumbing leaks, electrical malfunctions, HVAC issues..and..drum roll please..EVIDENCE of structural issues once loads are placed on the home in the form of furnishings, fixtures and people. THIS is what HI's are trained to look for...none of which is evident in new construction..especially pahse inspections.

Contrary to the fairy tale wishes of all too many REA's the HI SOP'do NOT include any of the following:

1) Licensed Structural Engineers
    2) Licensed plumbers
    3) Licensed Electricians
    4) Licensed HVAC techs
    5) Licensed radon techs
    6) Licensed wood destroying insect inspection
    7) Well inspection
    8) Septic inspection
    9) Lead paint inspection

1. Mold inspection
    2. Underground oil tank inspection
    3. Pool inspection
    4. Asbestos inspection

This does not mean that an HI can't obtain education, licensing, training and experience in any of the above and offer the service as an ancillary service outside the home inspection.

However, anyone who hires an HI to do any or all the above, and fails to verify education, training, experience and INSURANCE in those specialties..as well as a license if their state mandates such, is a nothing short of a fool.

That said, what "seems" to you is irrelevant..as the state licensing board knows better, in that there are a myriad of differences involved, and home inspectors are NOT trained or educated on those differences, which is WHY it is excluded.

Hmmm...I've bought two houses..sold one. It seems to me that I should be able to work as a REA..no further education, training, experience, licensing or insurance required. ;-D

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I'm not sure about the ins and outs of HI vs. structural etc.
    but it would seem to me that many of the smaller individual builders may not be that busy right now and they certainly would be able to spot construction related issues such as improper joisting or window framing. Whether they can legally do so, or would inspect another builders work I don't know (perhaps if its a big builder like Beazer?) Some HI's used to do construction.
    As for structural engineer - I would want to get someone, maybe even a civil engineer, if I had concerns about a basement, knew the area had a high water table - that type of thing. Or at least someone to educate you on what to know and what questions to ask. I knew a guy who bought a house whose basement kept flooding. He went round and round with the builder. After much aggravation and legal beagleing he got them to jack hammer up the basement floor and put in some sort of tile system. There were springs in the neighborhood and highly variable water tables. Some houses never had problems, other did. The builder did the minimum, built all the houses the same, and then fixed the ones they had to.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Linda I'm with logic here a Home Inspector is not the best choice for wanting to look at new construction that is not finished yet. They might be able to spot something, but are most useful in spotting things on an existing homes and inspecting framing etc. is not something they normally do as most homes already have drywall up. I would think it would be a waste of money to use a home inspector for new construction unless they also have additional qualifications such as knowing the latest code (code inspection or structural engineer). BTW building codes change often so although they may have been in construction at some point it doesn't mean they know the latest code and construction requirements.

I also like the idea of hiring another builder or a town inspector to look at the structure. At the very least check and see if inspections are required by the town. Though realize that all they will do is check that it meets code. They won't look at anything beyond that scope. I also know there are many areas where there is no enforcement of codes or sign off required.

• Linda
    15 years ago

BTW building codes change often so although they may have been in construction at some point it doesn't mean they know the latest code and construction requirements.

Lyfia, the town inspector will be inspecting the new construction anyway. There is no need to hire another engineer to do that.

Logic, once again you have gone off on one of your tangents. The SIMPLE question was: IS THIS A JOB FOR A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER? The majority of people on this post dont believe it is. Most say to hire the HI, if there is an issue then a structural engineer can be called in. The town engineer is already inspecting for codes and structural defects.

As for your list of things that a home inspector is NOT licensed to do. No one said they were, however, of your 13, 9 of them are given some type of inspection and or test by the home inspectors in my NY area. IF there is a problem, then someone who specializes in that area is recommended.

Houses, when they are used and occupied, will show any weakness...plumbing leaks, electrical malfunctions, HVAC issues.

Gee, I guess people buying an already built new home, spec home or vacant home should just forget about the home inspection.
    You make it sound as if a home inspector comes to the house and basically does nothing and is qualified to do nothing. Gee, what the heck are all these people paying for?

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Linda - not necessecarily will there be a town inspector all depends on where the OP is located. You can't assume that there will be town inspections. I live in an area that doesn't do them, all we needed was a septic permit and that is it. I think for those areas it is an option to hiring one from another town if you want to make sure all things are to current code. In general a HI can not do that for you. Some are better than others, but I learned that for new construction a Home Inspector that is a PE was a much better choice. You can not use the normal signs of structural integrity that is often used in existing homes for new construction unless it is really poor construction.

Maybe a Home Inpsector that does nothing but new construction inspections might be a possibility, but one that normally does existing house inspections will most likely miss things as they are not used to look at the same items.

• logic
    15 years ago

Linda 1117:
    "Most say to hire the HI.."

That is because many people have misconceptions about what IS a home inspection...and what ISN'T a home inspection.

Apparently, often these misconceptions are fueled by HI's who pretend to be something they are not...who fail to explain that these services are beyond the scope and require additional training and experience that they donÂt have...simply to make more money from the inspection.

In addition, REA's who fail to educate themselves regarding home inspections...but refer HI's and give advice on inspections based simply upon their own misconceptions and assumptions, further fuel the misconceptions and expectations of the home buying public.

Linda 1117:
    "You make it sound as if a home inspector comes to the house and basically does nothing and is qualified to do nothing. Gee, what the heck are all these people paying for?

I don't "make it sound"...I reported the facts of your stateÂs (NY) lawÂperiod, which is pretty much the same for most states that regulate the profession.

One more time, since you apparenlty missed it: by NEW YORK STATE LAW, BY DEFINITION, the inspection of a residential dwelling that is newly constructed and/or not previously occupied is NOT...I repeat..NOT... a home inspection.

State law trumps your assumed HI SOP's as well as all other REA's assumed HI SOP's who want to cling to their beliefs otherwise.

That said, GOOD HI's hardly do "nothing", they do quite a bit which has apparently either escaped your notice, or you have only had an opportunity to witness the slackers of the profession in action....and I find it peculiar for you to say that simply because their job is not what you assume it to be...

This is really quite simple. I'm not clear on why this is all so terribly difficult for you to comprehend.

That said, since you now seem to be genuinely interested in discovering what a home inspector is supposed to doÂ.and not do....I provided a link above to the legislation and the NY state website that spells it out for you..

You may want to seriously consider reading it, as it will enable you to educate your clients on the factsÂ.. as opposed to erroneous assumptions. IÂm sure they will be most appreciative. :-D