SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgshores

bad client or bad realtor

mgshores
16 years ago

Hi, I'm kinda new but have read alot of posts. I have a question about expectations from realtors.

My house has been on market for 4+ mo and no offers. My dh and I are not happy with the marketing efforts of our realtor and we have dropped our price 2 times. I have to suggest things for the realtor to do or he doesn't seem to do much, for instance I requested that he contact the buyers agent personally after a showing to get feedback. He uses a website homefeedback.com, which at first I thought was pretty cool but then I realized he is not having a productive conversation with other realtors that could clear up any potential concerns the buyer may have or bring future business from that particular realtor. He has done 2 open houses and he is one not to believe that an open house will sell a house. I agree somewhat but then what does sell a house. Of course the house is on the MLS and his webpage but he is with a new firm and only has 4 realtors in his group. In heinsight I wonder if I should have went with a big name like Remax because they are big in our town and have 200+ realtors in thier group to market to. I heard a rumor that his firm was trying to get as many listings as possible just to get thier signs out there but they have no marketing budget, and that they will list a house at the price the seller wants just to get the sign in the yard.

One of his strategies was to take out the flyers from the for sale sign to force potential buyers to call into his office, I actually had to ask him to put them back in after 2 weeks with no calls, then he said he wanted to give it another week. I understood his strategy but if no one called after 2 weeks what was another week going to do. All the houses in our area have those flyers and I think people will just drive by and not give the house a second thought if they are not out there. After he talks us into dropping the price he doesn't even update the price on his own website.

I finally got desperate because of 2 mortgages and decided to rent the house. I do not feel I have been a bad client but he really seems quiet around me, I sense something that he is not wanting to share and he almost seemed relieved when I told him I was considering renting.

When I was at the house today the neighbors told me that 6 different families have been by in the last 2 weeks to look at the house yet my realtor just told me that no one has looked in over a month. How can he not know the house was shown? If I had known so many people were recently looking at it I may have waited a couple more weeks before placing the ad to rent it.

The rental market in my town has the same problem, way to much inventor because of so many sellers in same boat as me. I found a renter on the first advertised day and the potential renter commented many times that they couldn't believe our house did not sell. My contract with the realtor isn't up for 2 more months but we are just taking it off the market. I feel bad because he did the pictures and virtual tour, but don't know what else to do. My renters are going to sign an 18 mo lease so I hope the market will be a bit better in spring 09.

I have not told the realtor how I really feel because he is in a business group and we are friends. It makes me wonder if it is equally as hard for realtors to do business with other business associates for fear of not selling and letting a client down.

Just need some direction to prevent future mistakes. Please let me know what you think.

Comments (18)