SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

We want to put a room in the basement-ideas?

linlily
13 years ago

We have a ranch style home and my husband and I would like to have a room that is finished to use for hobbies and a TV in our basment. The only fireplace in the house is there, but the former owners did not finish the room. The block walls are painted white and the floor is kitchen carpeting over old tile floor. The room is already partitioned off from the rest of the basement with old wood paneling. We are going to replace all the paneling and would like to find something to cover the cement block walls, and add a large closet system for storage.

We looked into the Corning Basement finishing system, but after reading and learning about the costs involved with it, decided to do this ourselves. We cannot find an equivlent system out there for the do-it-yourselfer. Anyone know of anything?

We did see moisture resistant, wood-looking paneling at Lowes and thought about using it over a green board base. There was also a plastic looking textured paneling there, but the finish was very shiny and we thought it looked a bit "bright and shiny" for basement walls.

I do not want to put drywall up and have to finish and paint it. Too much dust and mess to deal with, so we are looking for other wall ideas. Thanks for any help you can give us. Also, the basement is dry.

Linda

Comments (4)