SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Venting...open house and agent....

patty_cakes
16 years ago

I bit the bullet and decided to have and open house this weekend~I called my agent on Tuesday, and made the suggestion it be on Sunday. He agree, but called me on Thursday and said that wouldn't work, and could we have it on Sat. instead. I compromised, and had it today~#1.

The pictures that were taken last Thursday by a stager he uses are not online, YET. When I asked how long it takes to get them re-posted he said, 'oh, only 15 minutes'~#2.

On Tuesday, I called to tell him I would be out of town until Thursday eve, and that the main road to get to my place would be closed from 7am until 5 pm. I didn't want to inconvenience him and a client if there were to be a 'possible' showing. I also talked to him about an agents open house, and told him I wanted to be home. He called me on Thursday to tell me he had an apents open house that day and one agent showed up, which leads me to believe he only gave them a one-day notice. Didn't I make myself clear that I wanted to be home~#3.

Today when talking to him after the open house, where one couple showed up, and one other person, who happened to be one of his old teacher's who lived in the area and saw his sign posted. He said WE needed to do something to boost up the showings, like offer incentives or up the commission to 6%. He said I should check out new places to find out what *they* offer as incentives, to which I replied 'my place isn't new, but I would offer HOA for a year,' which I had already discussed with him. He talked about crown moulding, granite(which he knows I already have), but basically upping the commission so it would look 'more attractive' to the buying agent~#4.

So those are my 4 gripes.

Can you tell i'm PO! My home has been on the market only two weeks, he hasn't had one showing, and is already asking for the commission to be changed from the agreed 5%. I commented that I thought agents were 'hungry' and 5% was better than the 4 1/2% others were offering, and had also heard that agents were leaving the business things were so bad. He gave me a little nervous laugh, and I think he realizes I feel he isn't pulling his weight(hey, where are the damn pictures?)but i'm supposed to bend over backwards for him and up his commission to 'maybe' get showings.

Here's a question, agents~would an agent hold back showings until he got 'what he wanted'? I'm beginning to feel this is just the beginning of a game I don't want to play. ;o)

Comments (21)

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just realized when I saw the signs posted at the corners, there wasn't a flier box, nor on the sign in the front of my condo. And I didn't drive down the street to see where he started posting the signs. For all I know, there may have been just the two on the corners, and the one in front of my condo~#5.

• dabunch
    16 years ago

There are 2 schools of thought re: commissions.
    -Some say that REA are hungry & will glady show the house just to make ANY commission.
    -The others say that the REA skip your poperty over & show the ones with higher commissions. In essence, you're boycotted.

I'm sure nothing is black & white. However, if you want to sell quicker, a larger commission is enticing to ALL REAs.

I understand your anger. I hate when REAs play games:
    1-either list your property too high just so you give them the listing. As soon as you sign the papers they start working on you to lower the price.
    2-List your property too low to sell quickly & look like THEY have done a fantasic job.
    3- Use the old "I have a buyer...." to get your listing
    4-Looks like yours took your listing at 5%, promising you the world & now is working on you to up the commission so it sells quicker. He himself cannot bring you a a buyer. He may need help from the "p..s"(the ones who will show only for 6% plus).

Next will be the price. You watch. They should just level with you without building your expectations. Selling is extremely stressful.

I hate their manipulation. You feel like they've Bait n' Switched you. Realtors DO NOT understand how a seller feels.

• Related Discussions

Advise: Buying w/o An Agent But the Sellers Are Agents

Q

Comments (10)
    teelag, you are thinking exactly what I'm thinking about the market trend in CA whether it's in No. or S. CA. I don't think these owners are in any hurry to sell even though they are "AGENTS", they are posing such a unrealistic expectation to the price of their dear home. They also commented about spending $300K on upgrades but just like most people believe that most of the time you upgrade the house because you want to enjoy the upgrades that bring to you personally. If they eventually add value to the house, that's great. That's a bonus. But we shouldn't expect that any buyer will gladly agree to reimburse all the $ the owner spent on the things they may not even care for as much. I'm pretty knowledgable and confident on the buying and selling RE in general so I am not afraid of representing myself. I just don't like to face this particular situation when the agents are selling their own home and they're not showing the honest, integrity and ... As most people think that the worse thing I'd get is a No from the owners/agents with my look-like low-ball but realistic offer. Sure, the only thing I don't have is the same access to the current market data as an agent. I'm sure if I want, I can pay to get that kind of data. If these owners are half knowlegable agents, they should have known how bad it can be to set a high price when selling a home. But I just really don't understand these people, maybe they just simply want to test the water like anybody else to see if any fool would want to pay a high price to get the home.
    ...See More

Buying a home off market when working with real estate agent.

Q

Comments (6)
    To clarify some of the above, I don't know of any agreement that will prevent you from buying a FSBO without an agent. I doubt that there is an enforceable agreement that requires you use an agent to buy a house. However, there are agreements that will make you pay an agent even when not using them. If you feel the realtor is due some money, you can even ask to sign a buyer's agent contract so the realtor can get paid something. In this case, your realtor is not a party to the transaction but still advises you and is paid by you rather than from the proceeds.
    ...See More

Need help negotiating with agent selling their own home.

Q

Comments (3)
    Get an agent. Let them walk in and negotiate an asking price. Then, you will know if you are even interested. You are out of your depth and don't know what you don't know. If you are certain that this is the one, get your financing lined up and ready to go. You may have to move fast when the property hits the market.
    ...See More

Need help negotiating with agent selling their own home, part 2.

Q

Comments (5)
    Typically it's best to keep all of your questions in a single thread. I'd recommend deleting one of the two nearly identical threads. If your market is like many, there won't be much to negotiate. Even when selling FSBO, some agents will owe part of the commission to their broker. It depends what their agreement is.
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    16 years ago

May I suggest a gripe #5: He said I should check out new places to find out what *they* offer as incentives

Hey, bucko, that's your job!

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Patty, that's super-frustrating!

I think it's awful when Realtors want you to start giving away your money right from the beginning. I always say, "Let's give away some of mine first!" Broker's opens, Group Open houses, advertising, fliers, DEFINITELY photos online, etc.

As far as graywing's #5 gripe, if the Realtor was suggesting that you look around to see what kind of incentives are offering, he may just be trying to bring it to your attention. I'm perfectly aware of what builders and other sellers are offering, but recently I told a client to start keeping her eye open for some ads that were being run by a local builder. They're offering 3 free mortgage payments if you close this month. I told her that not because I didn't know, but because I wanted her to see that unless we did something similar, it's likely we'll be overlooked on the market.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're priced out of the market:

If there are new condos in the area, *they are your competition*, & those sellers are serious:

They usually pay top commissions & bonuses to encourage agents & offer lots of incentives such as special financing, help with closing, etc to encourage buyers.

Answer to the question:
    No agent would "hold back" showings.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, very well could have been me writing some of this stuff. IMO, the agents open should be at least 7 days notice if not more. Ask what he does to get the word out. In my state it is Tuesday's; and with the holiday coming up, I wouldn't consider one until September.

Open Houses should be at least a week notice also. Sunday is the day here. Most use directional signs, although my agents assistant didn't. She also didn't have helium balloons which IMO are important to help people see the signs.

IMO, from what you are saying, he needs a reality check. Send him an email that you want to see the new pictures up in 24 hours. Next, in the email or a different one, where you can keep the topics separate; tell him that next Sunday is good for the open house and that he should put it on the MLS and his web site. If you want newspaper advertising (which you may need) tell him that and tell him what days you expect. I want Friday to Sunday advertising for opens. If he's one of the ones that doesn't believe in it, mention that you have a condo and that perhaps older people might like it. Most older people don't have computers.

Read your contract. Is he holding up his end of the deal?

The pics will be on 30 differeent sites, including realtor.com, and he said should be up by Sat. eve~will keep you posted.

Did you check the 30 sites?

I found it on realtor.com, then did a google. It's listed on Movoto for $445,900 - you have 18 pictures there. Sandiego.com - main page $445k - when I go to the listing, price is right, with 12 pictures

Doing a little more on the search, I managed to find the KW site you listed with along with the agent. I clicked on his name to view his listings, nothing comes up. I go to KW's search, put your MLS # in, nothing comes up. You need to do these yourself to make sure I am doing them right. If you go to the agents site:
    Sorry, there are currently no matches for your search.

# Begin a new search

# Refine your search criteria

HTH

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're priced out of the market:

If there are new condos in the area, *they are your competition*, & those sellers are serious:

Her pricing is different, it's listed at $399,900 - $445,900 but is coming up for me as the higher number on some searches. Patty will have to play around with various sites to see if it's on others that way.

Patty, did you sign up at all of the major sites to watch your house?

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

"...He gave me a little nervous laugh, and I think he realizes I feel he isn't pulling his weight(hey, where are the damn pictures?)"

There are such things as non-performing agents which is why I would limit ANY new agent to a 3 month contract and only offer contract extensions if their work is satisfactory.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Two quick questions:

1. Out of the total commission you're paying how much is he co-broking? (Perhaps he'd be willing to give up a little bit of his percentage to offer a higher percentage to the buyer's agent?)

2. Did you verify what costs you might incur if you cancel your contract with him? Hopefully none, but if your this unhappy after 2 weeks, it might be time to lay it on the line, or excercise that option now before you've wasted anymore time.

You know what...lets make it three :)

3. Did you price your home @ where his CMA placed you, or did you insist on going a bit higher, which might, just might maybe possibly, be the reason for no showings?

Nat

• catfishsam
    16 years ago

I would switch realtors. It sounds like you are just wasting your time with this one.

We switched after only 6 weeks since we didn't like the realtor we had since he wasn't doing much.

Now we have a really great realtor that is a hard worker. However, we still aren't getting many showings. LOL

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't begin to tell you guys how helpful you are! Knowing nothing about RE, when I need to know anything, this is the first place I come to look as I know i'll get the *real* answer.

Dabunch, boycotted~you hit the nail on the head cause that's exactly how I feel. Funny thing is, I started going to open houses and talking to agents before listing my place, and they were telling me 5% was what they were usually getting. I talked to a friend last night and she told me that at the moment, that was the acceptable rate in S. CA.

Graywings, exactly how *I* felt!!

Reno, I look at new housing as always having some sort of incentives, but this 'new deal' with resales is insane. I did tell him a a year of free HOA's would work, but putting in crown moulding(did I mention that to be one of his suggestions as an incentive?)in a condo in this price range would be ridiculous. There are several new condos going up not too far from me, but i've always considered that area to be less desirable. I'm going over this week to see what's being offered~what do I have to lose, even though *he* should be the one doing the leg work.

Sylvia, i'm priced right where I should be, and probably even lower if you take in the amount in sq ft compared to most.

Roselvr, YOU ARE A SWEETIE. Thank you so much for every single one of your suggestions! I haven't checked any of the other listings, so didn't know about the higher price coming up~that's very 'enlightening', to say the least, and could kill my sale. When it was first listed, I saw the listing on the KW site. However I tried to find it last night and nothing came up~what the he** is going on? I haven't signed up to watch~didn't realize that was an option. Will do that, too.

Newjersey, the contract is not for a set time. It is listed as dismissing the agent at any time if not happy, which may be sooner, rather than later. No moneys to be paid.

Nat, each agent would get 2 1/2%, I don't know how the broker is figured in, if that's what you're asking/suggesting. I almost said that to him, 'why don't *you* offer a percentage of *your* commission to the buyer's agent? And i'm priced right where I should be. I'm not looking to 'make out like a bandit'. I want to sell, and ASAP, but won't give my property away either.

Catfishsam, I can see that happening.....soon. Unfortunately, i'm leaving to go to TX for 2 weeks next Sat., and can't see anything happening before then.

I'll be talking to him about all my concerns on Monday, as he never seems to return my calls on weekends. I realize he has a family, but I would think in todays market it would be important to stay in touch with your client. I'm just dumbfounded by his behavior. This guy was calling me several times a week to get my listing, and now that he has it, i'm not seeing that aggressive personality that I heard on the other end of the phone.

....and the 'new' pictures still aren't up!

It has been suggested to me since i'm a woman selling, I should find a woman agent. Thoughts on this anyone??

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, I'm sure you know I've learned a bit in the last few weeks of doing research since our contract was about to expire (it did last week). I don't want to write a lot on a public board, especially after what happened to the other poster yesterday. If you want to know more of what I've been (similar to you) through, I will share in an email...

IMO, catfishsam is a little different. If you do a search for the posts, they were listed as victorian and the house was not. You posted to her post about the fenced in yard, the front was fenced with a wood privacy fence. The post Thinking of taking house off the market - is here. The pictures are gone but if you reread what you wrote, it will refresh your memory.

Roselvr, YOU ARE A SWEETIE. Thank you so much for every single one of your suggestions! I haven't checked any of the other listings, so didn't know about the higher price coming up~that's very 'enlightening', to say the least, and could kill my sale. When it was first listed, I saw the listing on the KW site. However I tried to find it last night and nothing came up~what the he** is going on? I haven't signed up to watch~didn't realize that was an option. Will do that, too.

You're very welcome!
    I ended up doing a bit more looking after I posted and was going to post but I figured I'd wait till we got back. It was one of those days where I couldn't shake my meds after waking up, so looking at this stuff was perfect for this morning.

At Remax (http://rbranchandbeach1.california.remax.com) if I searched using $375 - $400, your place did not come up. It was only when I used the $400 to $450 that it did. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed. Why use "value pricing" if it isn't showing up for the lower amount catching those buyers?

What I would do is send an email with all of your concerns and tell him he has 48 hours to fix them or you are going to consider breaking contract. There is nothing I dislike more then to be ignored by an agent once they have my business. If he was ignoring my phone calls, he would get either (or both) a phone call or an email with me asking how he planned to present offers to you if he isn't accessible during the weekend. Tell him that this is a major concern of yours, that you are afraid it may lose a sale. The longer you wait, the worst that the market can get. Since you are able to break contract, do so.

I have no thoughts on the man vs. woman agent. I really feel that it is the individual agent that I have to click with. Things they say to me are weighed, then I decide.

Find out about the commission. From what I am hearing from agents I interviewed the other day, 6% is better and may make a difference on whether the house gets shown. Ours was also 5%, but in our case, I really feel that we have to go local because the inventory is high, they don't have to go out of the office for listings to show. We'll see.

Dabunch, boycotted~you hit the nail on the head cause that's exactly how I feel.

If I am right, the reason you are being boycotted is because your house is not listed properly. This is due to the lower pricing not being searchable and the fact that you are not on his personal / company web site. This is a biggie; be sure to address this now, with 48 hours to fix this.
    I haven't signed up to watch~didn't realize that was an option.

You know how I am always saying to sign up on all of the major sites using your house info as the search options like you were buying? This is what you need to do. Go to Remax, Century 21, Keller Williams, Weichert and any of the magazine sites - if you have a real estate book from the super market, they should have a site. Yahoo has a real estate site as does MSN. Be sure you break the search info down into 2 different ones - one to watch the lower price you have and another for the higher. You'd use say the numbers I listed up top. I know it is a lot of work, but you need to do this before he fixes everything so you can see if it comes as an email update.

Sorry for the book.... I didn't write it all at once lol

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

"It has been suggested to me since i'm a woman selling, I should find a woman agent. Thoughts on this anyone??"

All my agents--buying and selling--have been women (I am a woman). I didn't set out for it to be this way, it's just how it worked out. I interviewed a couple male realtors before I put my last house on the market...one constantly interrupted me and talked down to me, and the other was just a dud--no enthusiasm for anything. This may sound sexist--and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone--but it seems like many female salespeople, no matter what they are selling, work harder than a lot of men do because they are still "competing" in what traditionally has been a "man's world." I've been pleased with all the female agents I've worked with.

If I were you (OP), I'd change realtors now or give him 48 hours as Roselvr suggests. If you are unhappy this soon with this realtor, drop him, and find someone who really wants to sell your condo. From what you've told us, it doesn't seem like this guy is all that interested. Is he a new agent, btw? He sounds like he's new to real estate.

Good luck!

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roselvr, thank you again! Today is going to be my 'list making day', and i'll either call him later or tomorrow. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before jumping the gun on this, although I sincerely feel the agent I talked to on the phone several times, is NOT the agent I hired. When we had our initial meeting, and I asked the question of how it would be handled if things didn't work out, he said, 'you fire me'. I still need to read the fine print in the contract to make sure there isn't some type of clause. And 5% seems to be the going rate for commission. Besides, *he* hasn't given me any reason to 'up the ante', but says it will attract the buyers agent~it's my opinion he's thinking of himself, not the buyers agent.

I'm going to check out the other sites, including the KW again~i'm not 'getting it' if my property isn't listed on THAT website.

LOOK FOR AN EMAIL FROM ME.......

Terri, thank you for your perspective on male vs. female. I feel the same as you, having been in sales for many years~women *do* seem to make more effort. I haven't quite figured out if it's because we have a bit more of a struggle and have to prove ourselves, or because we pride ourselves on working hard and doing a good job, not that many men don't have these same qualities. This guy *had* the enthusiasm, or so I thought. He talked the talk, but he ain't walking the walk.

I need to get my list together and will let you guys know the outcome, this means I need to check out the other sites, ASAP.

• minet
    16 years ago

The realtor we've used for the last three years while we were thinking of moving to Oregon is male, and he did a good job for us. Knew the area, advised us on neighborhoods and traffic, kept in touch through email, was available to take our calls, and was willing to show us as many houses as we wanted to see.

The realtor we used twice in California was a husband/wife team. When we were looking for a house, she was the one who went looking with us for the most part. He did the negotiating and writing up contracts. Worked for them, worked for us. If she wasn't available to show us a house, he did. We used them again to sell our house in a difficult, slowing market (last fall) - others in the neighborhood are still on the market. He made good choices on pricing, listing, and marketing.

The first realtor we ever worked with in California, and let go after a few weeks, was female and not a good agent. Not available, not knowledgeable, not especially helpful.

I don't think it's gender related, so much as personality related. Some people are just better suited to being in certain industries. Look for one of them.

• triciae
    16 years ago

There's also another factor at work here...many people entered real estate sales during the boom years. For the past five years, you didn't always need terrific sales skills. People were buying anything that hit the market.

Now, the long-timers will shine. They've been through these real estate bear markets & know the drill. Yes, every cycle is slightly different; but since they've "been there - done that", experienced agents will be much quicker on their feet to change directions & do what's necessary to get a property sold.

IMO, this is not the time to give an inexperienced agent an opportunity. A seller needs solid & long-term experience from their agent during this part of the cycle. So, when interviewing agents if they don't have at least 15-20 years experience I'd keep looking. That's going to eliminate a lot of choices but real estate cycles are long & it takes that much experience to have been through just the last bear market for residential real estate.

/t

• redcurls
    16 years ago

Why don't you discuss with your agent the possibility of changing the SPLIT of the commission to 3% to the SELLING agent, 2% for the LISTING agent.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

LOOK FOR AN EMAIL FROM ME.......

Will do soon as I finish posting

There's also another factor at work here...many people entered real estate sales during the boom years. For the past five years, you didn't always need terrific sales skills. People were buying anything that hit the market.

Now, the long-timers will shine. They've been through these real estate bear markets & know the drill. Yes, every cycle is slightly different; but since they've "been there - done that", experienced agents will be much quicker on their feet to change directions & do what's necessary to get a property sold.

IMO, this is not the time to give an inexperienced agent an opportunity. A seller needs solid & long-term experience from their agent during this part of the cycle. So, when interviewing agents if they don't have at least 15-20 years experience I'd keep looking. That's going to eliminate a lot of choices but real estate cycles are long & it takes that much experience to have been through just the last bear market for residential real estate.

Tricia, thank you. What you said fits what happened to us. I really liked one agent but there was something I couldn't put a finger on. Today I spoke to another with 20 years experience that spoke about the last housing slump. He seems to know what to do, so we'll see.

• C Marlin
    16 years ago

I agree, go with an experienced agent, a calm one that is not emotional. Some think the sky is falling, no it is not,, we've been here before, we will all live through it, if we don't panic. You want a calm presence, not an emotional agent, you've got enough on your hands with selling, you are paying your agent to assist you, not irritate you.
    Also, 5% is very normal here in CA, you already discussed that, why he re-discussing it now???? He is blaming you for the problem.
    BTW, I just worked with a female, very calm, also just worked with a male on another sale, he was great. I'm working with a male on an open transaction he is also great. (I buy and sell lots of property)
    I'm getting better at weeding out the ones I don't want to work with. BTW, the reason I use different agents, I transact different areas.
    Sorry, I haven't bought or sold in San Diego.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still working on my list, and have gone on the KW website(no listing), but wanted to read their 'mission statement' under their 'welcome'. Sure sounds good, but again, don't see any 'innovative results'.

Minet, you may be right re:gender. More to the point, ambition and motivation are essential for a good agent, and in difficult times, not as easy.

Ohhhhhh Tricia, I think that's part of the problem. He's only been an agent for 6 years, the majority of the time it was smooth sailing as the market was already on the upswing, so consequently he didn't have to work too hard. Now it's turned around, and he could be overwhelmed as he's never experienced a tough market. Great point! I almost went with a 20 year 'vet', but had heard he sold fast cause he priced low. Maybe I need to interview him anyway.

Redcurls, I thought of that too. I think *he's* pushing for the 6% cause he wants the 3%, so don't know how willing he would be to give 1/2% away.

Roselvr, so you hired the 20-year 'vet'? I'll be anxious to hear what he does differently. These are the guys that have been on both sides of the fence and have survived. They must be doing something right.

Cmarlin, you *could* buy in SD. I know of a nice condo for sale. LOL I wouldn't call him emotional, but I don't think he's 'hungry' enough. Maybe by the time winter rolls around, and he's not getting what could be a potentially easy sale, but he's slacking, he'll come to the realization that being in RE is about service. The male vs. female thing depends on who you talk to.

Got to get back to my list..........

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, I got the email and started replying but got side-tracked, it will have to wait until tomorrow. I was going to give you a link to the shoe post and see that it was bumped up... it's like someone has ESP lol

Yeah, we're going with the 20 year agent that is male; also happens to be the broker.

How are you doing with signing up at sites? You want to be prepared so that when he fixes things, you will get the email notification that a property has just been listed or new pics, price adjust (you get the drift)

With commission, he sounds like he is panicking. He thinks that offering a higher commission will bring people in when it is him that is wrong due to not listing correctly. I don't understand why it isn't on the main KW web site but it's on realtor.com. This happened to the person I know in Ohio that I'd posted about. If I put the MLS # in the search it returned the house but never showed on a search. It was weird, like it didn't have the right keywords attached to it.