SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elinsd

Advise: Buying w/o An Agent But the Sellers Are Agents

elinsd
17 years ago

My husband went to see a house without an agent (we haven't met one we like) and like it very much in the Bay Area. The seller is the listing agent. The house is in a very nice upscale neighbohood and they did some nice upgrades but it has a nice size, very plain backyard. It has 6 bedrooms but has no media/recreation room and no separate library/office which I really like to have. I know bedroom can be used for different purposes but it would have been nice for a house that big (over 4k sq. ft.) to have those built-in.

We originally thought the price was pretty good for this five-year home since we are from out of the county and the builder is still building new houses in the same subdivision and those are priced higher. (The cheapest and slightly smaller one is selling about 20k higher than this 5-yr. old one.)

One thing I'm really bothered with is their pricing. They said they are priced to sell and gave my husband two comparable listings that one were sole in Feb. '06 and the other were in May '05. By looking at those two comps, they are pricing accordingly but I have to LOL because they reflected the market a couple years ago when the market was at the top. Market has changed so much for the last couple of years. I can tell that they are just normal people who can be emotional and can't part their own home with the business of selling it.

I did a lot of digging on the web to find comps and found one similar-size, 3-yr. old house was sold in the same subdivision last August with a sold price that is $250K lower than the asking price of this house my hubby has seen.

The asking price is outside the higher end of the range that we originally wanted to spend but this is a very nice house in a secluded, prestigeous neighborhood and the rest of the houses in the same neighborhood are almost all more expensive (and larger)than this one.

I don't know if it is true that the market has turned around for the sellers as most people posted in this forum believe. As a buyer, I too certainly don't want to pay any more than the market reflects.

The house has only been on the market for 3 weeks. We decided to sit on it a bit for now. I don't have to move before the summer for my son's schooling so I can wait a bit but I also want to get this housing thing settled down as soon as possible.(hubby rents now and is 8-hr. driving from us) If we do decide to make an offer, what would be the best strategy to approach this touchy situation when we didn't bring in an agent with us to negociate and the sellers/agents don't seem to be realistic in price?

After I saw the comp I found and think the market has somehow dropped a bit from Last August, a selling price that is $250K lower than the asking seems to be a very good price to me. Any good advice on the pricing and negotiation as well? Am I the one who is being unrealistic?

Comments (10)