SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lara_jane

Buying a fixer (no kitchen!)? Weird agent! Should we bid?

lara_jane
16 years ago

Okay, this post got reeeeeeally loooooong, and I apologize! This is just a quirky thing and I wanted to give you as many facts as I have so you can formulate and educated opinion! ;)

We're thinking of putting in a bid on a 1927 Tudor Revival (we think!) bungalow. It's been vacant for a bit because the seller has moved, and he's lowered the price by $20k since it went on the market in February.

Rundown:

It's kind of in one of those pockets of a nice "historic" neighborhood. Within blocks of each other are fantastic (from the outside, at least!) grand dames going for 2 times as much as this home's asking price, but then there are little rundown shoeboxes going for like 15% (also of this home's asking price)!

As mentioned in the subject, there's no kitchen! Seller gutted it with plans to remodel but apparently moving out was more important! jk! It sounds like seller & his agent determined that slapping in a cheapo kitchen wasn't worth the time since new owners would likely rip it out anyway. It's down to the studs (including ceiling) except for one wall.

No CHA. Whole-house fan and hot water radiant heat.

Copper wiring (not old house-savvy enough to know what that means, but guessing not Romex) and on fuses rather than breakers.

Plumbing is unknown.

Roof is 6 or 7 years old.

Foundation looks good. But of course we'd have an inspection done by a structural engineer.

Disclosure mentions that the PO had termites and treated for them. (Seller has owned the house for 12 years with no termite problems. Of course this would be another inspection!)

Also mentions lead in the soil which was "removed and refilled." What does this mean? We never drink tap water, but this still doesn't sound too good!

What else...

Um, cracks in plaster in various rooms. The hallway adjoining the kitchen is in the very early stages of remodel also (down to studs in some areas).

Regarding the agent... I'd made an appointment with her and told her ahead of time that I'd be cutting it close with a meeting immediately preceding. I did end up about 10 minutes late and found her lounging in her car. No biggie, whatever. But on the way in she told me she was going to give me "free rein." (???) She proceeded to give me a quick tour of the house, and when we ended up back at the front door she said I could look around and she showed me how to lock up, and then she left.

WTF??? Yes, I was late, but she knew I might be, and she couldn't have shown the house properly in that 10 minutes anyway, so it's not like I actually held her up from another engagement!

It was kind of okay and kind of not. I liked being able to look at everything at my pace, but I had questions about the things I've mentioned above, and I only got answers on some of them from the seller's disclosure she'd placed on a counter.

I wanted to take my husband back to check it out and called to make another appointment. It so happens that his one free day off was the day of her daughter's graduation (okay, so this isn't necessarily her fault!), so she said she'd have the house unlocked by the appointed time, and again, free rein.

My mother thinks it's highly unusual for an agent to leave a prospective buyer alone in a house. As mentioned, it's vacant, but Mom thinks it's not only bad business, but also an insurance liability!

Anyway... My point. We would need to have a contingency on our current home selling (we weren't looking to sell right now but we happened to find this great house!), but no contingencies on repairs. Considering these things, and the fact that the seller has lowered the price several times in the past 3 months and is "highly motivated," should we bid?

Does the fact that the price has been lowered AND the agent seems to flee for her life rather than actually SHOWING the house turn you off? Do you think the buyer is so "motivated" and his house has already been vacant for X amount of days that he wouldn't WANT to wait for our own house to sell?

Okay, say you still love the house (as we do! We still really, really do!), you aren't turned off by any of this, and you want to make an offer. Knowing the above facts, and knowing the necessary repairs just to have a functioning house (you know... the "no kitchen" part! LOL), what percentage of the current asking would you offer?

Gah. Are you still here? :)

Thanks a million for your opinions and especially for your time!

Lara

Comments (26)