SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need spackle advice for my 18 feet of closet doors

lkplatow
13 years ago

I already posted this to the paint forum, but then thought that the folks here would also have some good advice. So I figured I'd post it here as well.

I don't know if you remember my "18 feet of sliding closet doors" post from a few weeks ago, but I decided to go with gluing flat door blanks together to make wide sliding doors that I plan to paint with chalkboard paint. But right now, the seam where the doors were glued together is very visible, and of course, it will be bumpy when the kids try to write on it (the edges of the doors have a very slight bevel, so it's not just a flat seam, it's kind of a groove that's maybe 1/8" deep and 1/8" wide). Also, because of the stock sizes available for the door blanks, the doors were a bit wider than I wanted, which causes the seams to look off center a bit for some of the doors (if it wasn't all covered up in plastic because we've been painting the ceiling, I would take a pic so you could see waht I mean). So anyhow, I'd really like the doors to look like one seamless piece wood (well, mdf really, but you know what I mean).

So I am wondering what the best product is to use to fill in this groove. I would think a regular spackle might crack as the doors get slid around and banged, so I wonder if the lightweight or vinyl spackle might work better. Or something that dries soft and flexible like caulk might be better from a cracking standpoint, but I wonder if that would hold up under chalkboard paint what with writing on it and such. I was also thinking of something like woodfiller or bondo. And I've also seen rubberized spray-on coatings that you can put over repaired cracks to keep them from opening back up, but I'm not sure whether that would dry sticky or goopy or have a weird texture and not work for the chalkboard paint.

I guess I could also try covering the doors with a "veneer" of something solid and thin to hide the seam (like sheet metal, maybe? or wallpaper?) but that seems complicated and expensive. I'd need something that's 56" wide, and I can't imagine that 56" wide sheet metal would be cheap or easy to work with. And anything like vinyl or fabric would probably not be easy to paint and use a chalkboard. I guess I COULD just cover them with home dec fabric and call it a day, but I really have my mind set on the whole chalkboard thing.

So anyhow, any advice or suggestions on what product might work best to cover the seam would be greatly appreciated. You guys were so awesomely creative on the original thread that I know you'll have some good ideas for me! Thanks so much!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida