SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madm_gw

Kitchen Makeover - Layout Help!

MADM
12 years ago

Hi All!

I've been stalking this message board for about a year and now that we�re finally ready for our kitchen makeover I finally get to post something (hopefully I dont screw this up!) and get all of your input and ideas to help me with my fugly, non-functional kitchen layout

So here's the deal - I'll try to be succinct. My husband and I bought a 50s bungalow about 3years ago and its just been us working to fix it up. Somewhere between the 50s and now - somebody owned this house and "renovated it". they knocked down most of the walls at the back of the house and turned what were 3 separate rooms into one large area. They kept the original wood cabinetry but moved it around so we now have one long run of cabinets on one side of the kitchen with absolutely no cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. Well, I'm sure from my plan and the photos in my album you can see what kind of problems I am having and why I feel like I don't have proper "zones".

We had originally planned to gut the whole place and start from scratch, but it's just not possible with the budget we currently have. about 5000$ not including appliances. We are now thinking about doing a "make-over" / refresh of the kitchen. We'd like to keep as much of the original cabinets as possible since they are made of real wood. (We want to somehow re-face or re-paint them). My husband is actually really handy - and we are going to do most of the work ourselves. He suggested that we cut the large cabinet on the left of the stove and turn it into top and bottom cabinets with a counter top so I could have some counter space near where I'm cooking. He is adamant that he can do this without any problem and create or fix the doors so they will look identical to the other cabinets. I personally have it out for the large pantry - I am ready and waiting with my sledgehammer. I figured while my husband is building new cabinets I could get him to build me a functional pantry as well. Anyway - my basic question is: is that even the right thing to do? Maybe the appliances should all be moved around? My husband really doesn't want to move the sink and I would like to oblige him if possible. We are going to be purchasing a new stove and dishwasher, and as for a fridge - we have a vintage 50s totally refurbished fridge in the basement and would like to bring it into the kitchen - I realize it's a bit small for a fridge but it's a sacrifice we want to make for cool style. We'd also like to know if we should be/could be fitting in an island or some kind of peninsula. We'd just really like to have some input on how to make this kitchen work better and look better!

I should probably also mention that I do cook everyday - just me - but the hubby hangs around and watches. We drink a lot, and the majority of that large pantry is our liquor supply. My husband loves his coffee - would be nice to have an area for that. We do actually have a lot of guests over for dinner/drinks and the kitchen/dining area is the main hang out. I need someplace for the dog's bowl and bed and that's about it.

As you can see from the photos - my husband, myself and our guests seem to come into the house - head directly down the hallway into the kitchen and plunk keys, jackets, purses and personal effects on the table. Even though we have a separate home office my husband likes to use his laptop in the kitchen so he's "in the mix". The "weird area" as I call it - right now it's temporarily acting as my studio until I get moved into my new workspace - so none of that stuff is staying, but I still had thoughts of blocking that area off from the kitchen/dining area?

Wow - that was not a brief as I had hoped. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of my kitchen

Comments (18)