SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pittsburgh_amy

3/4 bath, lr/mud combo design in 1900 farmhouse

Pittsburgh_Amy
10 years ago

We are buying a 3000 sq ft. farmhouse built in 1900 with only one bath. We would like to add a bath on the first floor as well as complete a lr/mud room.

There is a laundry/mud room(about 8' x 11') when you enter the side door . Adjacent to this space is an area under the stairs which we could use for a 1/2 or 3/4 bath. Working within the current layout would be the easiest and cheapest option.

But...it really bugs me how the front center hall comes back to the middle of the house and has lots of doors off of it...but not a door to the mudroom. You have to go straight down the center hall into the sun room and then turn right to the door to the mudroom. It would make a lot more sense to have the mudroom connect directly to the hallway.

So, I'm trying to come up with another option, but it is eluding me. We could actually connect the mudroom/laundry room to the hallway (there is even an original door frame in the hall in that spot). But if we did that we couldn't put the bathroom under the stairs.

We have a 1/2 acre and plan to have big gardens. We also have three kids. A wall of cubbies is unlikely since the rear wall of the mudroom is almost completely windows.

Here is the plan for the first floor I appreciate any ideas that you have. I read this post about mudroom/laundry room combos and it gave me a lot to think about:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg051142351939.html

Comments (9)