SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gakrywy

How much frame should be visible with full overlay cabinets?

10 years ago

Hello all,
I have to ask this. I have tried researching this issue and can't seem to find much on it. But I need to decide right now if this is something I am justified in being concerned about, before it's too late.

My GC just installed my full overlay shaker style cabinets and the space/gaps between the doors/drawers of my separate cabinets is kind of bugging me. In all the beautiful kitchen photos I see online, they seem so much more seamless than mine.

(I'm not sure how to attach more than one photo, so I will post additional photos separately. Sorry.)

Are the gaps between my cabinets within "normal limits" or should they reasonably be tighter. I know that the cabinets were placed as close together as they could be, as manufactured, but was my GC supposed to trim the sides of the front frames so that they fit more tightly together??

If you look at the photo of my range top, you can see that there is about a 1 1/2" gap on the left between the doors of the adjacent cabinets, but on the right, the gap was much less. Actually, when I pointed this out, my GC actually widened the gap on the right with a filler to make it more symmetrical, since on the sink side, there is a gap closer to 1 1/2' between the doors under the sink and the door to the corner cabinet.

To give a little more background, my GC is trying to stay on schedule (to his credit), but the cabinets were installed in one day so that the counter top people could come and do their template. So if I do end up making an issue out of this, the templating would have to be repeated, if they haven't already started cutting. This was just yesterday and the counter installation is scheduled the middle of next week, so I'm hoping I still have time. But obviously I need to decide now.

I had decided that I was fine with the gaps, but I've been looking at photos online all day and it's driving me nuts. Please help.

Comments (15)