SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheryl8185_gw

how to get a feasibility type estimate?

sheryl8185
14 years ago

We have found a great home, in a location that suits us very well and has the amenities we are seeking (mostly that it is horse property very near a public riding trail while still being close in to employment areas - hard to find around here!) the problem is that it is too small, is only a 2 bedroom and we would want to add a master suite (ie bedroom, bath and WIC) to the first floor. This would entail upgrading the septic. We like the rest of the house and it is updated including a recent kitchen remodel.

Before we put an offer in on this house I would like to get someone out who is informed about what we are up against here - costs, dealing with the county whatever else we need to know about since we have never done an addition. I know about what a new septic costs, but I have no idea what is involved in going from it's current use to an additional bedroom.

I think it makes sense to find an experienced contractor and get at least a ballpark of what this would cost and how long it would take but a) i don't know how to find someone with good judgment on these things and b) I don't know what they would expect in terms of compensation for their time. Any thoughts or recommendations on how to proceed?

Some of the remodel horror stories on here are enough to scare me away, but we have been looking at houses for awhile, and you know when you drive up to the land that fits your dream and go into the house and it feels right... well, it is worth at least checking to see what can be done to add another bedroom.

Comments (6)