SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'm out! Who cares?

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

maries1120 asked in another thread, "What is IN or timeless for backsplash."

As I'm reading responses and reacting, I realized the thread is a bit dated (like me), but I thought the topic worth of expanding on.

Sayde posted, "This is a bit of a rant but I'm feeling perverse. Am just feeling more and more put out by the notion of having to conform to some idea of timeless or classic. I'm not against following rules of good taste and decorum, and definitely have made decisions that reflect the style envelope of my old house. But I am so tired of designers trying to tell us what is "classic" and " timeless" and even worse, necessary for resale. The worst was when I read somewhere on these boards that a designer told some client not to get a 30 inch range because it was a "kitchen killer." I mean, seriously??? If I had not already gotten a 30 inch range, for reasons of scale and sheer pragmatism, that would have fired my determination to have one."

Sayde, I can't agree more. When we were designing our new home, we told the architect that the "R" word (resale) was forbidden. We planned on living in this home until we died or went to a nursing home. We were not fortune tellers and had no way of determining what was going to be "IN" 20 yrs hence. What if we predicted a future, built what we didn't like, and were wrong! It would have all been for nought.

I remember when they were building the fabulous "executive" colonials of the 1980s. They had a separate master bath! and a downstairs powder room for guests! They had a separate family room AND a living room! 4 Bedrooms! Yowzah! Today they are considered small, run of the mill, dated homes. Then we went through the jacuzzi in the master bath, the master bath must be as large as the family room, the master has to have a fireplace in it, and you have to have the "bonus" room over the 3 car garage. You must have the 2+ story front foyer, a separate study, and preferably a circular drive out front. And of course, our perfectly serviceable 1950s ranch was off the radar screen. Right and left they were being torn down and replaced with McMs. In Westport, people were up in arms as they squeezed these giant homes onto small lots changing the character of the town from one of open acreage to side by side houses. So not just the homes changed in 20 years, but the entire town.

My point is, 20 years down the road, what people will want and need will be impossible to predict. So build what you love and what works for you now while you're there to enjoy it. When we staged the old home for resale, we did nothing but clean up the kitchen and fix up the backsplash. We knew it was in great condition, solidly built, but 'dated' and we were never going to figure out what the new home owners wanted so we left it. Rumor has it, they tore it out right after the closing.

florantha added, "On a slightly different tack, I'm wondering if the tile mural over the range will be a kitchen no-no in future, a hopeless feature of 1990s and 2000s. Even in the 3 or so years that I've read this forum, this item seems to be disappearing but it was all the rage 10 years ago."

When we were building, all the real estate agents told us we HAD to have stainless appliances, granite tops and hard wood floors. The decorating magazines are chock full of subway tile. We used none of those. And I love my mural behind my cook top and my coordinating wreath of silk flowers. If no one else likes it or if it's dated, I don't care. I figure I'm ahead for the mural backsplash comeback! I love the colors, the art is a classic still life which will never go out of style, AFAIC, and it's great because it has every color under the sun in it. So it is a neutral. In the future if I want to change the color scheme in here, I can and it will still go (though many probably it should just go....)

It was our hard-earned $$ and our house, and we were building what worked for us. Our house is not spec in any way. No builder would have ever built this place. It is ours to a T. Let the next owners figure out what they want to do with the place, not us....and let them pay for it!

Comments (42)

• Oakley
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, and I so agree with you! When we gutted the front part of our house and added-on, our builder kept saying "no no no" to a lot of things I wanted.

But he was a builder in the City, where homes are cookie cutters, even large homes. I'm in the country where it's common to decorate country/farm style.

We did a fireplace and had to hire someone who specializes in this particular one, which made us at the time only the 2nd place in the state to have one. The builder was freaking out over that. lol Not what it looks like, but the way it's built inside.

My kitchen backsplash and floor is not the norm at all. But when all was said and done, he was stunned at how it all turned out.

I think my kitchen would be a turnoff if it was in a large city, but it would sell here in the country. Who cares though, I'll be dead by then. :)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I absolutely agree that you should decorate for yourself first. However, as someone struggling to replace a built-in 36" refrigerator for a reasonable price, I would have been happier if the layout of the kitchen in this house weren't so darned efficient that there's not a spare half inch to be found anywhere.

• Related Discussions

Who cares if it's February, I'm makin' Jelly!

Q

Comments (3)
    Makes sense to me, you won't be working in a too warm kitchen. In fact, it makes more sense than when I sometimes do it...in the middle of berry picking season, when I take the older berries from the previous year out of the freezer to make room for the new. Like I don't have enough to do those weeks :)
    ...See More

I'm a newbie. How do I take care of Italian Large Leaf Basil?

Q

Comments (3)
    A larger pot would be a good idea. They're probably very root-bound, so try to gently tease out the outer roots before repotting. Basil will grow well in a window box and needs pretty good humidity and plenty of sun. Fluorescent lights won't help much for plants that are beyond the seedling (up to 6-8" / 15-20 cm) stage. Cooler night than day temps will help keep it from getting leggy. If your place is really dark, you might want to just harvest the basil, get some low-light plants, and maybe buy some basil oil for potpourri.
    ...See More

I'm confused as to bougainvillea care

Q

Comments (0)
    I recently purchased a Barbara Karst Bougainvillea. Unfortunately, before planting I failed to read the card attached to the plant and planted it pretty much like I have done other flowers and vines. So I watered it well after planting. However, I'm a bit confused. As I was looking up care for this plant there was mention of it liking water, but the tag says 'Arid Dry.' So which is it? I think I gave it too much water and it was awfully droopy so I moved it out of the ground and into a pot and did not give it any water. I live in SC and the soil drains well but after a day in the sun (and 80+ degrees) the plant was and is still drooping. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
    ...See More

I’m having trouble caring for this plant

Q

Comments (3)
    gal said: It's a florist's cyclamen ==>>>> what i interpret that to mean is that it is a temporary... disposable ... plant that you should enjoy the heck out of.. and then be prepared to go buy another when it gets past its prime ... maybe some time in the middle of winter .... but one thing for sure .... do not think its your fault .... this would be a very hard plant to be a starter plant for a newb .... where are you?? ... it might matter ... up here in MI ... once the furnace kicks in for winter ... the lack of humidity becomes a problem.. not to mention ... light levels go down ... not to mention.. this warm weather plant.. wont like sitting near a cold window ... whats the upside.. lol ... it will probably be long past its prime.. before it ever needs fert ... its a plant.. not a child.. it does not need to be feed .... and fert is rarely solution to a problem ... learn to water it by weight ... water it.. and hoik the pot ... note how heavy it is.. then dont water it again ... until you note its a lot lighter ... or wilting ... overwatering is one of the easiest ways to kill houseplant ... the alternative is to insert your finger in the pot.. if there is room to get it in ... enjoy the heck out of it .... its graceful .... ken
    ...See More
  • mpmg46
    11 years ago

Annie,
    Yep, yep, and yep. :)

Your kitchen is lovely. All in all, style is personal.

We can't take any of it with us, which I sadly remembered this past week, in burying a childhood friend, who was just 40 and left behind 3 children and a lovely wife.

This morning I awoke to an email from another childhood friend, who is serving in the Peace Corp in a tiny town in remote mountains. He shared stories of his simple life there and that of his PC friend, who was building his own shower where he was placed for the next 2 years, as there wasn't one in the "house" that he was living in.

Yes, we just redid our kitchen--for better function for our family and loved ones. We did put hardwood flooring in (b/c it's much easier to keep clean and will last longer than carpet (not to mention, we have a child with many allergies). We put granite counters in, which were actually cheaper than laminate. Our family and friends have a better place to gather now...which is what's important for us. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakleyok, you are right. Builders like to build what they know as it is efficient for them. We built green and had to teach architect and builder what that meant...we did a lot of research and sourcing ourselves as they just didn't know. So if you want really custom to your taste, you do have to work for it.

fun2Bhere, yeah, some of the choices we made yesterday are a regret today, but isn't that always the case? If I didn't have that brownie sundae yesterday.....

mpmg, Oh I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are absolutely right that we have to enjoy what we have today as tomorrow is uncertain. And a house is just a house without the people we love to make it a home.

• User
    11 years ago

And yet, Annie, I see many elements in your beautiful kitchen that have been influenced by current style--- if only because of their prevalence and availability. Your ORB faucets and pendant lights are fantastic... And very much in style. We don't live or decorate in a vacuum, so we are all influenced to some degree or other by trends. When we (me!) prefer something considered out of style we are still being influenced by a trend, just an older one.

I get what you're saying, and no one should adopt a look she doesn't like merely because it's fashionable if it doesnt suit her lifestyle. Otoh, I don't have a problem with people who want everything au courant because being "in" is important to them.

Our mantra is "resale is our kids' problem"!

• deegw
    11 years ago

Annie, Your post made me LOL. In 1986 my husband and I rented a small ranch on Rice's Lane in Westport. The owner of the house drove a red Porsche and was scraping enough money to be able to tear down the house and build to the limits of the lot. Small world and all that!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Oh Gosh, I thought this was going to be about you coming OUT, leaving years of marriage for a lesbian lover, and daring us to convince you to do otherwise! LOL! (Guess you would have posted that on the Conversations side, huh?) Guess I've been reading (about) too many racy books these days!

Your kitchen is beautiful & your entire house sounds very special! May you (and your dh) enjoy it (together) for many years ahead!

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I almost laugh out loud when people enter a house and call it "dated" just because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances. I've been wondering for a while now if in 20 years stainless steel appliances will have the same fate as avocado green and harvest gold!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Unlike the harvest gold and avocado appliances which were well built, the stainless steel appliances definitely won't last 20 years. They will maybe last 10 (?) and then we can replace them with the "in-style" stuff.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I like my stainless appliances a lot, & for my particular kitchen, I think that's the prettiest choice. The ones I have aren't fingerprint magnets, & in fact are the easiest appliances to clean that I've ever owned!

I liken stainless appliances to blue jeans--pretty classic, simple, sturdy stuff that can be dressed up or down. Having said that, nothing works everywhere, for everyone. It's all a matter of context & preference.

• User
    11 years ago

"...nothing works everywhere, for everyone. It's all a matter of context & preference."

A rousing AMEN to that!

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Annie- I love your kitchen! And I agree with what's already been said.

• hoyasncats
    11 years ago

Our first house, a split level built in 1955, had the original builder kitchen, which contained no dishwasher, but had a stainless steel wall oven and cooktop. The people we sold it to in the late '70s ripped it out and replaced it with harvest gold. Funny how the wheel turns.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl, I love it...let resale be the kids' problem! You're right we are all following trends of some sort, and it is the combo of those trends that make our personal style what it is.

Being "IN" is important to some people and certainly it is what makes the world go round. Green demolitions is full of Greenwich kitchens that have seldom been used but have been swapped out because the stove was getting dusty. And manufacturers count on us wanting the next and latest greatest whatever as that's how they sell product. But that is not very green, nor is it very cost effective. As wealth has dropped and the economy gotten rougher for the majority of people, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a slowdown in drive toward latest and greatest.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

stinky, you had me laughing out loud over coming out! Very funny! Personally, I don't understand how people can come out of the closet anyway....mine are too full of stuff to even get in them in the first place!
    ;)

stephf and blfenton, clearly what comes around, goes around. When the hip hugger bell bottoms started coming back with the platform shoes, I said, yup, I remember all that. Pedal pushers to capris. Short shorts to hot pants. But there are always a few items that are so iconic to their era, they won't be back again...like saddle shoes and poodle skirts....or aqua or avocado appliances.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

LOL, Annie!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And while sometimes what's out is in, and what's in is out, some things are always out....outhouse that is! We topped ours with a weathervane of a flying pig....considering we took 3 years to build and 7 years to design our new home, we figure we'll get this house finished when pigs fly!

I always wanted cobalt blue in my bathroom....didn't get it in the house, but did in the out house!!

I remember the story of the fellow who told his interior designer that he wanted a real authentic colonial bathroom....she replied, "Sure. How far from the house do you want it?"

And note the wisdom of the colonialists...the door on the outhouse opens in...so no matter how deep the snow gets, you don't have to shovel your way in to open the door!

• User
    11 years ago

One thing to remember about demolition of dusty, unused, high-end kitchens--- the appliances and often the cabinets are recycled! Sometimes they end up in remodeled houses, sometimes in the demo crew's house, sometimes in resale appliance shops or online for sale. They provide some very lucky second owners with top end appliances and cabinets at a fraction of their original cost :)

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Just saw a magazine spread featuring "dated" granite countertops being ripped out to make way for "today's sought after soapstone." Bet someone on the team of that re-do snatched the "dated" stuff up in a hearbeat, (speaking of "recycling!")

Annie your outhouse is absolutely adorable!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Love the outhouse and the pig!

I have never been one to need to be "in". I march to the beat of a different drummer. That said, I do not have stainless appliances or granite. We built 15 years ago and I'm starting to wonder about our dishwasher. Think it will be the first appliance to be replaced. Now, I'm actually thinking the stainless might look nice in our kitchen LOL (although like Stinky, if we go with that, it will have to be the printless kind). I am, however, a fan or ORB. I believe going with what you like. We don't plan to sell, although if the right property comes around, we might. We didn't think of resale when building, we built what works for us. Same in updating it.

tina (good thread!)

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Tina, I highly recommend the Frigidaire Gallery line! I've been so pleased with it for ease of cleaning & performance. You know my sis just gutted an entire house & rebuilt it, and she also selected her appliances from this line! She has a beautiful kitchen & is quite pleased with the FG appliances. (We were just comparing notes the other day!)

I like your idea of bringing in some ORB. I especially like the look of stainless mixed with ORB in kitchens! Too much of one thing can get boring. In the case of cool metals, it can also get cold. A mix would add warmth & charm.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

For the life of me I can't figure out why appliances don't come in various colors, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg.

Home decorating is definitely "In" right now, so why does a yellow stove cost a fortune, IF one can be found?

I actually miss my harvest gold appliances. They'd look pretty good in my kitchen right now. lol

• ladypat1
    11 years ago

Stinky,
    I have taught in a school lab for years, and soapstone coming in style does not please me. Any black counter reminds me of labs. I would expect a dead frog or smelly chemicals on my kitchen counter.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

DH grew up in Westport! It's quite a bit different from when his parents bought their first house there in the 1960s.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Ladypat, not pleasant thoughts to conjure up while cooking, huh? Well, you'll just have to be "out" too, I guess! I will join the ranks as well, since I've had my granite for a year and half & it's not going anywhere! Fortunately DH & I think our stone is really pretty & we enjoy having it...even if it has officially been proclaimed "out" by home decor publications!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

The process of discovering cool kills cool, because that early cool person is scared of one thing, and that is of seeming like everybody else. So the faster everyone else adopts the idea, the faster the cool person has to run in the opposite direction. And also remember that one of their things that sets a cool person apart is they have short attention spans.

Gotta love Malcolm Gladwell...no matter how you try (or even if you want to try) cool/in style/trendy never lasts for long does it? You're so right Annie...who cares?!

Interesting interview about trends in the link. (The Dee Dee name is just coincidental!)

Here is a link that might be useful: The merchants of cool

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

And, I think, there are always distinctions between what is in or out, and what is in good taste. I also think a lot of people either disregard, or forget about that.

I think a lot of things that are trends are not in the greatest taste even at their hottest, or at least they can be used or combined in ways that are not in particularly good taste. And people still like them because they are trendy. But when the trend dies, that is when people start to look at it more objectively and start to think that it is ugly (which is part of what "dated" seems to be). My feeling is that it was always ugly, but people were blinded by the popularity of it. I feel like I can tell with some of these kitchens or decorating schemes still in the "selecting finishes" stage, which ones are going to take a nose-dive out of favor the fastest.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is also a time lag....it takes time for your eye to adjust to something new. Think fashion and when skirts went from short to long, at first they looked so dowdy. But then they looked good. When the 80s jackets with massive shoulder pads first hit, they looked like football players, but then without the pads, everyone looked so wimpy. Now that the shoulder pads have been out for a long time, they look ridiculous again.

Princess Diana, line backer!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladypat, you reminded me of high school biology which I had the misfortune of having during lunch period...no way could I get the smell of formaldehyde out of my hands before I ate my sandwich. YEECCHHH!

pal, what really struck me was your posting awhile back with a classic colonial house which you said was decorated in what the 1980s idea of colonial was. I mean a classic is supposed to be a classic like something from 200 years ago, yet you clearly identified an era of decor associated with that version of colonial. So even timeless has trends associated with it, given that generation's take on the timeless trend...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Shoulder pads all over the runways in 2011 and 2012.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

There was a misunderstanding of the paint colors of the colonial period from the first reconstructions at Williamsburg to toward the end of the 20th century.

We would not like most authentic color schemes of the 18th and early 19th century, nor would most people go in for the pattern mixing that they did. Most colors were brilliant, and they mixed whatever was available, which became more limited as you went down the economic scale. Remember, that especially in cities, they lived inside in the dark a good portion of the year. Things had to be bold to even show up.

I don't think "classic" means that the period is beyond identification. I think it means that its inconsistencies with current fashion don't jar as much as high fashion 1960 clashes with high fashion 1980. Classic can sometimes be a bit dull, but that is not a bad thing necessarily.

• User
    11 years ago

"Shoulder pads all over the runways in 2011 and 2012."

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Nice thread. Glad I found this tonight. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A rose by any other name...

I confess...I liked the copper tone appliances in our old kitchen.

finish looks cool, if not unfamiliar....

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro colored appliances

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I think everyone needs to be mindful that some people do need to be concerned about resale, so asking what's "in" is smart in an economic sense, if that is what their concern is. It obviously isn't a concern if you are planning on staying put for years and are not worried about getting your money back when you do sell. I don't think it is a "good or bad" "right or wrong" situation. Some people have the luxury not to care, others have to look at their homes from an economic perspective because of tight budgets or because they tend to move around, others from an emotional one. No one should be embarrassed to ask what's in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gmp, I don't think anyone was implying that asking what's IN is a problem. Understanding modern trends, technologies, colors, and perceptions are important elements of design and should be part of design making decisions. Learning about what's available today really broadens your options in terms of design choices. And if you want the latest and greatest, and hot trends are your thing, then that's fine. That is part of your personal style. Design should serve what is important to you.

If you need to sell, then what sells is important. When we got our old home ready for resale, I did make decorative choices that were not my taste, but that looked more modern, like swapping out light fixtures, cabinet hardware, etc. I really really liked my 80s shiny brass fixtures in the bath, but out they went and in came the satin nickel. Out went my lovely jewel toned walls and in came the neutrals.

But my point is we don't all need to follow the leader when it comes to design. And if we are not into the latest and greatest, that doesn't mean we can't come up with good, tasteful designs that reflect our personal style and meet our needs.

Design should serve your needs and wants. If it doesn't, it isn't good design.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Annie, I wholeheartedly agree with your reply to Gmp3, and with the spirit of the thread in general, which celebrates individuality and unlimited self-expression and questions a mindless following of trends. And, I think Gmp3 makes a point worth noting. It is, as she concluded, a luxury, in a sense, to be in a position NOT to have to think about the "R" word & the issues that accomany it.

For those who need to stay flexible, who have career paths that may involve transfers, or have family issues that prompt a need to relocate, the spectre (strong word, but, well, in this market, it kind of IS a spectre) of needing to sell looms large.

It's enjoyable to read on this thread about houses that have become personal, unique homes that serve the owners well and delight them on many levels. In the midst of that, Gmp3 reminds us that everyone isn't in a position that allows them the freedom to live on such a creative path. Hopefully, every home owner will reach a place in life & on the map, where they find themselves able to have a home they can truly make their own.

The slump in the housing market has generated a lot of sadness & anguish out there. I do hope we're approaching better times on that front.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I didn't mean to be critical of Annie's post, just commenting and offering a perspective so those posters who need information on trends could feel like they could ask . I also didn't mean to imply Annie's intention was to belittle anyone, I think she was stating her point of view, which is great too, and Annie, your home is beautiful. People visit these boards for a variety of valid reasons. Please forgive me if it was taken as a criticism.

I don't disagree with any points Annie made in her reply to me, nor did my original post state that following trends is important, just that some posters have a valid reason for asking the question.

I am smiling about Annie's comments about getting a home ready for resale. I replaced my heirloom carved mahogany antique chairs with chairs from the dining room and replaced an expensive original oil painting with a framed print from Kmart of all places to make it "match" and not look dated. I even replaced the powder room sink with a vessel, which I hated but knew would appeal to buyers.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Gmp3, I also didn't mean to sound critical of Annie, her thoughts, or this thread either, LOL! Just noting that you raised an interesting point, and presented the flip side of the same coin. I didn't think you came across at all critical in your original post, btw. You were contributing another (important) POV, IMO.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm stunned at how polite folks are on this forum! In other forums, people don't take offense until the language gets worse than a drunken sailor's!

There was no offense taken. It was merely an attempt to get clarity about all the points being made. That is best done through pointing out differences. That is not offensive. That is not personal. Instead it is a way of honing communications so it is most accurate and most clearly understood among all participants. That is critical discourse and that leads to greater understanding.

I appreciate all the points of view being expressed here. It's a fun topic, I think...carry on....

What is less fun is gmp's point about how many people are not as well off as they were a few years ago and struggle to make ends meet. As another gal is posting in the forum about redoing her kitchen and going over budget, going with the latest, greatest trends can and often is the most expensive way to go and may not be affordable. The good news is we can still create beautiful spaces, even on a budget. The better news is we are only at our most creative when we struggle the most. Learning to make do with what we have is a great way to think outside the box and achieve creative solutions to difficult situations.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Annie you are so right about the struggle. We decided to downsize and purchased a home that has been a total redo. We decided we wanted a nice home, but didn't want to overspend. I am very satisfied with the modifications we have made and it has become a game to me to reuse, minimize and work with what I have. It would be fun to do some threads on low budget updates.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Annie -- your home is really really lovely!

So very very out here -- usually out-and-about (heehee!) and my home needs so many many updates .... but that is NOT going to happen anytime soon ....