SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresava

Did you breastfeed your children?

teresava
15 years ago

Just curious to hear from those that breastfed their kids. I tried to BF my 1st DD and it just didn't work very well. So I thought I'd try with DD #2 and so far she has done really well with it-me on the other hand...

I'm two and a half weeks into breastfeeding Katie and "Jeez Louise" does it get less painful?? I would love to go for 6 months or so, but I'm taking it day by day right now.

The pain is right at first, 10-15 seconds or so, I guess until she latches on correctly, then it gets better (or should I say tolerable). Sometimes we must have a perfect "fit" because I barely feel it at all. But I dread the beginning of each session. And depending on the session, she needs to be burped or moved a few times. So pain each time! Then I tense up thinking about it and makes the rest of me achy. Makes for a lovely day!

I talked with the lactation nurse at the hospital who was actually really nice (the first one I dealt with with DD#1 was SCARY!!!) and said the pain would go away after 2-3 weeks. She gave me a few techniques that have helped, but she said honestly the first 6 weeks are ROUGH. And that's not counting sleep deprivation or baby blues!!

My DH supports whatever I want to do (breastfeed or formula) I know formula these days is pretty good, but I'd like to give Katie the best. With my first DD, I pumped for 6-7 months, so she got breastmilk and is quite healthy today. But with 2 kids, I just don't think that's possible.

I think I just need to vent!!!! That pregnant man on Oprah is looking better each day-I wish DH could do it! lol

Teresa

Comments (49)

• alisande
    15 years ago

YES! YES! YES! (two girls and a boy)

Did she advise you to try using hydrous lanolin (NOT anhydrous) on your nipples? If they don't get toughened up before the baby comes it can be painful for sure. But it definitely gets better. And you really are giving your baby the best start in life.

Don't hesitate to call the lactation nurse again. Or find a La Leche League in your area. LLL Leaders will be happy to talk to you. I'm a retired Leader myself, although I've forgotten too much to be a good breastfeeding advisor at this point.

I seem to remember the suggestion to pop a beer when you sit down in the evening to nurse . . . :-)

You're doing great, Teresa!

Susan

• carol_in_california
    15 years ago

I breast fed my three kids....the first one only for two months because of an abcessed tooth but the other two for a year each.
    Fortunately I had toughened up my nipples before delivery so it was always a pleasant experience.
    Susan, I used to buy those little six ounce cans of beer when I was breast feeding. Increased milk supply and relaxed me so my milk could "let down."
    Sorry you are having so much pain.

• Related Discussions

Are Easter baskets assembled by you for your children or do you g

Q

Comments (13)
    I make baskets or some kind of containers each year for my daughter, SIL, and all of my grandkids. This year they also got birds nests with eggs in them.....chow mein noodles and chocolate formed the nests, then foil wrapped chocolate eggs were put in the nests. These were then put in round fluted edged coffee filters and wrapped in white lace, then tied shut with a ribbon. Everything I make has to be mailable. Daughter got an egg carton filled with plastic eggs that had goodies inside each egg. She loved it.
    ...See More

Did your breastfed children develop allergies?

Q

Comments (28)
    I was breastfed and I have no allergies to anything. I have never even had poison ivy and I live in a sea of it. I breastfed my daughter and she had no allergies when she lived at home but now has some issues with pollen. No food allergies. She never had one drop of formula. The idea of that was horrific to me. And about women who can't breastfeed...that is extremely rare and unfortunately many women don't get the support or encouragement they need. Quite the opposite. Even well meaning people are forever saying things like "I don't think the baby is getting enough" because breastfed babies basically nurse around the clock, and it is discouraging to women who are trying but have to listen to stuff like that. I was a firm believer in not starting babies on food very early, which is said to cause food allergies. I didn't give my daughter a bite of any kind of food until she was 8 mo. old. I tried when she was 6 mo. and she had no interest, so I waited awhile. I never gave her sugar or anything with dyes in it. I wanted to do everything I possibly could to not have a hyperactive child. I was in my mid thirties and I had seen some pretty wild kids, raised by my friends. Some that would make me want to leave home when they came over, except I had to stay home and protect what I had. The only time I was ever sick in my entire life was when we first got married and bought a new house trailer. It had that "new" smell, and it was also very hot, so we used a/c all the time. I think that is why I was sick. Since then I have always lived in houses and could keep windows open as much as possible. I use a/c very little. Another thing....which I know is controversial and will bring the wrath of many people down on me....but it doesn't matter because I'm grown (hell, I am old) and I am okay with the decision my parents made to not have me vaccinated and I also did not vaccinate my daughter as much as I could possibly avoid. I didn't have her in day care or preschool and she was breast fed exclusively until she was well into being a toddler. She was hardly ever sick. I am hardly ever sick. I had a slight cold for the first time in almost 15 years. I have never had the flu. I have never had a sinus infection. Back to allergies. I believe people start feeding infants food much too early. I think they will do it so they will sleep more, but their bodies aren't able to handle it. My baby slept with me (another no no by most people), so I didn't mind that she woke up often to nurse. I don't think living in houses with no fresh air is good. And I think over medicating causes immune problems. Our bodies were not made to handle so much synthetic stuff....be it medicine, food, environment or whatever. Another problem, I have heard is being "too clean". I know you shouldn't live in a filthy environment, but having pets around and exposing yourself to a little dirt doesn't hurt you, and I believe it is a help.
    ...See More

Do Your Children Help You?

Q

Comments (52)
    Unfortunately the holidays bring forth reminders of family issues, interpersonal conflicts, and historical baggage. Not everyone in everyone's family gets along, not everyone does what others expect or desire, yada yada. It's too bad but for most people, such issues aren't new issues and at some point, when remediation efforts have failed, it's time to move on from letting such problems be a downer. The fault isn't always with the kids, nor always with the parents, as an example. Some of you have told stories of having had cruel or indifferent parents, others about having problems dealing with kids who seem to not allow for mutuality in relationships. Among all the situations some of you have mentioned are probably all the possible permutations. People don't get along and act nice to one another simply because they're related, you all know that. Sometimes, it's the family relationship itself that can lead to jealousies, conflicts, etc. Relationships that are built mostly on feelings of guilt or obligation, or expected to be so, are rarely successful.
    ...See More

Did You Tell Your Children Stories About Your Life?

Q

Comments (30)
    As a southerner we have a history of telling stories and it was very much a part of my upbringing though trying to fit all those tales into some sort of coherent history is another matter. We practiced our own history with my mother starting "remember whens" My mother was a spoiled only child and most of her stories were about how special she was to her doting father. My father did not talk much about his childhood though I know they moved frequently as my grandfather was a mason and builder. I spent a good deal of time with my mothers step-mother-my Grannie- and learned as much about her life as I could. She was a child of the depression-something that for her on a prosperous farm in the south was just something they heard about happening elsewhere. Grow your own food and make your own clothes and you only need money for taxes and coffee and salt. I loved hearing about her life. she was one of a big family of girls and they had to work like boys. Their father did not want them to leave home so for each of them it was an adventure to leave. I don't have children and have always lived all the way across the country from my kin so I have had no one to pass on what I know nor about my own life but there you are. I love social history and yet historians will use the lives of the rich and famous thinking they are telling you how people lived in the past-the one tenth of the one percent.
    ...See More
  • donna37
    15 years ago

Yes to all three, boy and 2 girls. Breastfed DD3# the longest as I didn't have to return to work. I was very fortunate and didn't have any problems.

Stick with it and follow the advice given above.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

I tried with my first DD and didn't stick with it. I did nurse DS for oh boy 7 or9 mos I can't remember.
    I do remember the first 5 or 6 weeks being difficult! All I can say is hang in there, it WILL get better!!

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I breastfed both kids. The worst part was after they started getting teeth. Yikes!

• grammahony
    15 years ago

I tried with all 4 of my daughters. I have inverted nipples, and 1 month was about all I could hack. Fussy, hungry babies, crying (them and me). With #4 after 1 week, I thought to heck with it, I want to enjoy this one before I go back to work. I think now, the lactation nurses work with you. Had I known I had inverted nipples, I wouldn't have tried so long/hard. I'd have pumped sooner/longer. I had a good supply, just nothing for the poor little babies to 'hook on to'. Up every 1/2 hour - hour, makes for a stressed out mamma = no supply. I wasn't told until the last one that I had inverted nipples. I tried. And they did get the first week - 2 weeks supply, which is the most important, to get them off to a good start.
    Leslie

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

I did breastfeed for nine months. I never had any problems. The nurses actually tried to get me to reduce the amount of time I was feeding my son, but he was a hungry baby.

But problems do exist - some women do have issues, and it's perfectly OK to decide it's not for you. It never "hurt" for me, unless baby slept late and I got engorged. Hot showers usually fixed that.

If you actually hurt while breastfeeding, then feel free to use formula.

Breastfeeding is best, but it's not the be-all and end-all of motherhood.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

Yes I did for 7 weeks. It wasn't painful for me but DS wanted to eat every hour or two around the clock. I was so sleep deprived and then my aunt, a baby nurse, came to visit and said that baby needed to be on formula. After I switched him to a bottle he slept for several hours at a time.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

My nipples were sore for the first few weeks until they got toughened up. It happened with each baby.

Then with the last two, the baby got thrush in the first couple of weeks and passed it onto me. That hurt. I'd have to treat my nipples with the same medicine that was used in the babies mouth. It doesn't sound like you have thrush, but it is something to watch for.

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

I BF each of my four kids for a year each, the first 6 months exclusively breast milk. Although it worked relatively easily for me, there was sometimes pain in the first few weeks.

The biggest reasons I remember for having pain w/latching on was one of two things. One, not a good latch. To solve that I would help the baby open extra wide, get as much of the (help me here) aereola (sp?) in his/her mouth as possible. If he/she only got the nipple... OUCH. I couldn't continue like that, I'd have to break the suction and re-latch even if it ticked the poor kid off.

Two, if the milk did not let down right away. When it was right, I felt the milk let down in anticipation of nursing a minute or so before we actually started a feeding. Especially true after the first few weeks when my body had the rythm down. But in the first few weeks before the supply/demand cycle was set, or babe's schedule might still be a little unpredictable, the milk would not let down before the feeding started. If babe started actually sucking w/out milk letting down first, then the milk let down ... OW, that could sometimes be very painful. To solve that, I tried to induce the milk to let down before starting a feeding. I would let "my girls" out of the bra and bend over a shake 'em a little, or press my hand from top to nipple a few times to stimulate the milk. That would usually work, milk would let down, then everyone was happier when the feeding started. Sometimes just a big deep breath- lift the chest muscles and then exhale and relax the chest muscles- would also make the milk let down. If I could get the milk to let down first, then get a good latch, then the sucking would be a relief, not painful.

I don't drink, so I never tried that beer trick. But I did take Tylenol and make sure to drink lots of water, since that helps milk production.

I hope there is something there that helps. The first few weeks are so tough. The stress, physical demands and sleep deprivation can make molehills look like mountains. It might also help to make sure you nurse in a very comfy, supportive chair so you can relax as many muscles as possible.

• hale_bopp
    15 years ago

I nursed both kids for 14 months each (14 seemed to be the magic number, LOL) and it hurt- I mean toe curling hurt- for about a week. After that, I didn't even notice a twinge.

I might call La Leche League to ask someone to see if your DD is latched properly. (((T and baby)))

Blessings,
    Haley

• kayjones
    15 years ago

I nursed the first two but the third was bottle-fed. Get a referral to a breast-feeding clinic - they will work with you to assure that you and the baby are 'doing it right'.

• hale_bopp
    15 years ago

I forgot to add; like someone said above, the first six weeks are soooo frustrating!!! I'd be crying, the baby crying, and my DH standing there looking at me helplessly. LOL! But we made it through and then one day, it just became simple. :)

Blessings again,
    Haley

• mcmann
    15 years ago

I breast fed all 3 and I was so fortunate that it went fairly well. I do remember one nurse telling me that it could be difficult for the baby to latch on if your breasts are too engorged. Depending on the shape of your breast and nipple and the size of the baby's mouth it can be hard for them to get the right position. She said if that happened to expell a little milk first so that the breast tissue is a little softer. It only happened a few times in the first month and then everything improved.

Good luck, give it a good try, but if it doesn't work out don't let yourself get too stressed out. And it can be quite painful until your nipples become adjusted.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

Leslie...I tried with all three of mine too...but I have the same problem you have....so it didn't work for me.
    The best success was with Jeff then I got uterine infection, ended up in the hospital when he was just a few days old. Bawled like a baby because I had to leave him. Came home and had some acid attack, had to go back to hospital, had a trillion test run. Had a none functioning gall bladder. They wanted to take it out that next morning. I said no and went home. checked with another doctor. He said that is quite common and to give it another 6 months and IF I had more trouble we look into it then. That was Dr. Peters, Kellogg's dr. Did you ever go to him?

patti

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Yes, I went to him, but only because I HAD to, to be able to return to work. He wasn't my choice, it was a company rule. I worked until I was 8 months, and couldn't get low enough to sweep up the floor. That was before women had the option to be PMO's. I had my own personal (OB/GYN) Dr's, but had to see Peters for my release form. Dummy me, I should have taken another month off. Play it up like a lot of other did. Not my work ethics I guess. LOL
    Leslie

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

did all 4 but for different lenths...my mother scared me out of it with dd1, went for 9 months with ds1, and tried for 6 weeks with the twins..(i just got very tired)

dd1 breast fed all 3 of hers, dd2 her 2... so it was a tradition started...dil did for a while but work and other complications stopped her with her 2...she did pump for a while...

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Tried with #1 (boy) but after an emergency C-section and BIG classical incision, I was in no mood to stick w/ it. For #2 (boy) and #3 (girl, yes!) I had a scheduled C-Sec., and I didn't even try. I know there are benefits for the baby, but honestly I think most babies do well on formula too.

The kids are all young adults now. No lingering effects. No allergies etc. and they are all healthy and active. And none of them are overweight. :)

• intherain
    15 years ago

I breastfed all 3 children and each time, it was very difficult the first 6 weeks. I am surprised I made it. I have light, sensitive skin and I would literally scream when the babies' latched on. It was awful. It actually got a bit worse with each child. I saw so many lactation consultants and eventually they agreed that I was doing everything right, but I just had extremely sensitive nip*les. 6 weeks was the magic number for me. After that, it was wonderful! I nursed the first 2 for 20 months and the 3rd for a bit over a year.

Sheryl

• wildchild
    15 years ago

Yes. I breastfed DD for just under 24 months because I had my DS 25 after her birth and I didn't want to tandem nurse.

I breastfed DS 'til he was around 3. I don't have a number because it was so gradual.

First mistake most unsuccessful breasting feeding parents make is using supplemental bottles. If baby can slurp from a bottle he/she will not care to work for his/her food at the breast.

There is almost always enough milk. The best way to keep production high is to nurse on demand. Round the clock. No schedule, no supplements,no water or juice is necessary in those early months. Baby cries, baby nurses. Period. No it will not "spoil" the child. Women have been nursing babies in that fashion for years until bottle came along and the poor babes had to be put on schedules in order to digest.

And shut your ears to all the peeps who comment on how she should be sleeping through the night,eating more, eating less, is too fat, too thin, etc. etc. etc.

Teresa the pain you describe is definitely poor latching on. Take two fingers and compress the nipple and guide it the wee one's mouth being sure to get the baby to open wide by brushing baby's lips lightly with the nipple or you fingers.Be sure baby's gums not just the lips bypass the nipple. Also make sure baby's lower lip is not tucked in. That can also cause pinching. Hang in there it gets easier. In a month or so your can tuck baby under your arm and have her nurse while you walk about with a free arm to do anything.

I used to wear over-sized tee shirts and nurse while eating,shopping and just about everything else and no one was the wiser. Relax and enjoy.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I nursed all 3 and never had a problem. Luck was part of that--I joined La Leche League before the 1st arrived and was asked to be their librarian. So I had a box of books in my home between meetings and read them all. As a result, I toughened my nipples before the baby was born and stretched them to be sure they were not inverted. I became a La Leche leader all those years ago.

If it hurts, the baby is latching on wrong. The nipple needs to be waaaaay back in her mouth. So when she opens her mouth the first month, help her by putting your thumb on top of the aerola and your index finger underneath and ram it as far back in her mouth as you can. After a while, she will manage just fine.

We are happy to help you. Seems like there is a lot of good experience here.

• scottymam
    15 years ago

I did all 3 of mine, for various lentghts of time, no difficulty I recall, but that was 22 to 29 years ago. DIL just nursed DGD, (she is nearly 2) she got one of those semi circle nursing pillows from Target and said it made getting the angle right much easier (she also has inverted nipples)I forget the brand/style name of them. I have since given 2 as baby shower gifts and they are very appreciated. I am also sure other stores carry them, I'm just familiar with Target for baby gifts!

Also wanted to let you know there is an article on the Yahoo health news links reporting a study is saying that Breast feeding reduces Mom's risk of developing Rhumetiod Arthritis, haven't read the whole thing yet to give further details.

Ellie

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

I pumped all of Nick's milk for 9 months, then pumped and supplemented for another 3 months. I agree, it might be more difficult with two kids but it actually made it easier with one. I'm not sure how things will turn out for me with this baby. I had teams of lactation consultants come through when I had Nick and none of them could get him to latch on and eat. I was getting tired of stranger after stranger coming in and manhandling my nipples.

I do think breast milk is best but since Nick has food allergies, I belong to some food allergy boards and there doesn't seem to be any clear connection in those groups among allergies and breastfeeding. Some of us may have made our child's allergies worse, some better by breastfeeding but the boards are definitely not full of bottle-feeding mothers. Some breastfed one child and he or she has allergies and bottle fed another child who is allergy free.

I will say that Nick was never sick his first year even being in daycare.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I've heard that a lot of food allergies could be prevented if supplemental food/juice isn't introduced so early....like wait until the baby is 6 to 8 months old, before you give them anything besides breast milk.

Some excellent advice here. And, yes...I did breast feed my daughter...exclusively. It was painful at first...and I did have inverted nipples...but hung in there. I breast fed her on demand, around the clock. Remember, the more you nurse, the more milk you will produce. Remember to drink lots of fluids yourself.

I nursed her until she was 3 1/2 years old. She never had one drop of formula or one bottle of anything. Absolutely no regrets here. And, if anyone thinks nursing a toddler is crazy...they only nurse a moment before going to sleep and when they need comforting. I would do it all over again, if I had any other babies.

A Grocer's Supply place donated me 38 cases of formula to give to my animals. Of course, it wouldn't do to feed the babies, because they have exact needs and the formula I feed is made just for them....but I couldn't bring myself to give it to any of my animals, even as a supplement, once I read the label. It is mostly oil based. I threw it all away.

• jaims16
    15 years ago

Both of my boys had a tough time latching correctly. Using a nipple shield for the first six weeks saved me. It's a little silicone shield that goes over the nipple. The baby pulls the nipple into the shield when the suck. It helps them latch on correctly and because there is something between your skin and their mouths (for some reason) it helps with the pain. They recommend these when people have cracked or sore nipples too. It's only like $6 and it will be the best $6 you ever spend. Trust me!

Also, if your nipples are sore, try putting lanolin on them after she nurses. It really does help.

Don't give up. It's worth it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nipple Shield

• vannie
    15 years ago

I only nursed the last one and wished I had nursed all 3. She never had a bottle and at 5 months started drinking out of a tippy cup. I was working on my Master's and was gone at night. I'd get home and she'd be screaming and would not take a bottle from DH, so she learned to take a tippy cup. Seems incredible now.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

The only down side of nursing, to me, was the idiotic comments I got from other people.

"She's 6 months old and you are STILL nursing?"

"Don't worry...you'll wean her when she gets teeth." (Not so.
    I just told her, "don't bite.")

And the number one, stupidest comment..."Aren't you afraid she will grow up and be a lesbian?"

One good thing...I was older. I was 34, so I was not easily influenced by what other people had to say. My mother was very supportive in nursing and nursing on demand.

Whenever I see someone nursing a baby, I always make a point to say something positive to them. And I always tell anyone who is thinking about nursing...do not listen to anything anyone who has never successfully nursed a baby has to say about it. You will get some of the most discouraging remarks. Not that they don't mean well. If you don't have a La Leche coach....I didn't...then read some good books about it.

• teresava
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and support. Katie is latching on correctly, I just need to make sure she is "deep" enough. I have some lanolin because my nipples did hurt at first, but I think they're used to it now (lol)

Haley-you described it perfectly-Toe curling pain!! For those first 10 seconds or so.

I do feed her on demand, and I think I have enough milk-she almost chokes on it at first. I'm trying to get her to nurse longer at one session, but she falls asleep on me, most of the time. I try to burp her or change her diaper that sometimes works.

I'm hoping that both of us will get a rhythm down in the next week or so, since we are BOTH learning, and it will be a little easier. I've also noticed that with my 3 1/2 year old running around-I'm more distracted and don't notice the pain quite as much. Plus I try to read DD#1 a story or something while I nurse so she doesn't get too jealous.

I could never really get that Boppy thing to work right for me. I just use couch pillows.

When I'm really tired, I daydream of living in the medivel times where they'd have wet nurses to do all the work-AHHHH!!! lol

• jannie
    15 years ago

When my first daughter was born, the doctor sent a nurse to my room to explain breastfeeding. I didn't know anything about breastfeeding, in fact, I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. She was very kind and friendly, gave me literasture from LaLeche League, including their phone number. Somehow, I was able to successfully breastfeed her for nearly a year (my daughter, not the nurse-HAHA). But I always kept that number, confident threy could help me. Now I believe it was the best way. BF babies have all kinds of advantages, less colic, less ear infections, smarter, better teeth, plus it's a great way for the mother to bond with the baby. I am so glad I breast fed both my daughters. If you're having any difficulty, find a phone number for LaLeche League.

• amicus
    15 years ago

I actually laughed out loud at reading sheilajoyce's comment "...ram it as far back in her mouth as you can...", but it is so true. Even if the baby does have your areola in her mouth and not just the nipple, sometimes in those first few seconds they kind of let it slip back out a bit and are only getting the nipple again, which is excruciating. It's also true that if you are really engorged, the breast is too rounded and you can't place enough of the areola into the baby's mouth, so you should express some first to get the breast more pliable.

• jannie
    15 years ago

And did you know there are health benefits for the mother, too? I quickly dropped my pregnancy weight and my stomach muscles adjusted back to their old shape. Some studies show BF correlates to a lower chance of breast cancer later in life. I know I sound preachy, time to go. . .

• hale_bopp
    15 years ago

LOL, Jannie! I was smaller in size when I BF than I am NOW!!! That was only 3 years ago....::Sigh:: You burn so many calories when you produce milk for the baby.

My kids would also choke when the milk let down, it would spray so hard. (Sorry if that's TMI!! :) If you're really engorged, hand-express some milk from the breast first to soften it so the baby can get a hold of it. When it's so taught like a ball, it's hard for baby to get a mouthful. Good job Teresa! Hang in there!

Blessings,
    Haley

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Ohhhh, I forgot the most important thing to DDs success--get some nipple shields. Target sells them as does Babies R Us. The pain will go away immediately. Baby will be able to latch on immediately. It helps to prevent baby frustration to squeeze a little breast milk into the nipple shield tip too. The baby will eventually transition to not using it, but it will be awhile. Do not worry about that at all. DDs lactation specialist recommended them and says they all transition in their own sweet time. Nipple shields are a miracle--be sure to get some.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Every time you nurse your baby, your uterus contracts a lot. I never could feel it happening, but you will notice you get a return of the flat stomach way earlier than bottle feeding moms.

If you are lucky enough to have a friend offer to loan you her breast pump, take it. Use it when you feel engorged the first weeks to help soften the nipple for the baby and to make yourself comfortable. Pump and freeze milk for times when you will want to get out and leave the baby and a bottle with dad or grandma.

I always warn moms of the Six Week Growth Spurt. Some time in the 6th week, your baby's appetite will seemingly double overnight. It is soooooooo important to stay rested at this time so that your body can increase your milk supply quickly to satisfy the baby. At 6 weeks post partum, you are finally feeling energy and wanting to get back to your old routine and get out and about. PLEASE wait for the 7th week after the growth spurt and your adaption to it before doing so much galavanting. Pamper yourself till then as best you can. And remember, a well rested, stress-free mom (I know, what's that?) has more cream in her milk, and it is the amount of cream in your milk that makes the difference in making your baby feel full and contented. That is one reason babies are so fussy at dinner time--mom has not had any rest for many hours and so her milk is like non fat milk instead of creamy. So baby nurses but is still not satisfied. Remember Carnation milk company and their commercials about "contented cows"? Well, a well rested mom makes a huge difference in the quality of milk they and we produce.

• stephmc72
    15 years ago

Teresa, you've gotten some great advice! I'm sorry it's so difficult for you, hang in there.

I did not breastfeed Grant for a few reasons, which are irrelevant at this point, but I have to say:

Regarding what jannie said (BF babies have all kinds of advantages, less colic, less ear infections, smarter, better teeth, plus it's a great way for the mother to bond with the baby). Please don't let comments like this steer you away from formula feeding if that's what you end up having to do. I agree, breast milk is better but sometimes its just not in the cards and that does not mean that your child is going to be disadvantaged because of it. I never had breastmilk and I've turned out pretty good.

Granted, my son had colic, but has never had an ear infection, he's incredibly smart and imaginitive, has really good teeth so far and I bonded just beautifully giving him a bottle. Our relationship has never lacked because he didnt breastfeed. In fact, looking back, it helped me because I was dealing with some pretty bad baby blues.

• nicole_ont
    15 years ago

I breastfed Sophie til she was a little over 2 years, and Benjamin until he was about 10 months. Neither of them ever had trouble latching - they were both greedy little monkeys and would just slurp the nipple right in. With Sophie, I had to have my gallbladder removed when she was a month old. My doctor told me to give up breastfeeding, but I didn't. I was in the hospital for a week, but I rented a pump and just dumped the milk for that week (I was on medication, so couldn't feed the milk to her). It took a few days after I got out of the hospital to get my mlk supply back up, but from then on, she was pretty much exclusively breastfed until she was close to 12 months (she didn't want any other foods, and she was huge and healthy, and her pediatrician said that was fine)!

With Ben, I had brutal headaches from the time he was a month or so old. My doctor sent me for a CT scan, for all kinds of bloodwork, to an ENT, and then to a Neurologist who sent me for an MRI. Everything came back fine, and it was the Neurologist who suggested (when Ben was 10 months old) that the headaches may be hormonal from the breastfeeding. I had planned on nursing for quite a while longer, but the headaches were hugely interfering with my life, so I weaned Ben right then. About 2 weeks after I completely stopped nursing, the headaches stopped.

With baby #3 on the way, I'm definitely going to breastfeed again, but if I happen to get those headaches again, I just won't be able to do it for long. I would like to stick it out for the first 6 months, though. Breastfeeding really is a beautiful experience when it works out well for mom and baby.

Good for you for trying to stick with it, Teresa. I know a lot of people say that breastfeeding is so much easier and convenient than bottle feeding, but that isn't always the case. There are a lot of obstacles that you can come up against, and it just doesn't work out for some women. Ultimately, you have to decide what's best for you and the baby.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I just remembered one of the 'advantages' to breast feeding. The cost! When my daughter was little, I investigated using formula. I remember one was $9 for a one-quart can. Assume you use one can a day, that $63 a week, over $200 a month, or $2400 a year. I'd rather have that money for other baby necessities, even to put in their college fund.

• sjerin
    15 years ago

I too know EXACTLY what that pain feels like. I also nursed all three for more than a year, dd3 for 27 months. She didn't want to stop but I was getting breast lumps (turned out fine.) So when I started with dd3, her sucking reflex was so strong that she drew blood. I thought her mouth was bleeding at first (scary!) but was relieved to know it was only me. Anyway, I did end up with a breast infection but was able to continue to bf through the course of antibiotics. So if you notice one area of the breast that is tender and sore and especially if it is hot, you've got one. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up. Hang in there-- it WILL get better!

• dances_in_garden
    15 years ago

My milk never came in, although I did try. But when I realized something was wrong I decided to go to the bottle. I don't regret that decision at all. DD never once was sick as a baby, in fact she never even got a cold until she started school.

They say the studies show that BF is better, but I have to ask where did they lump the babies that were fed breast milk from a bottle? Is it the formula, or is it the method of feeding?

We held dd for every single feeding. Made eye contact, smiled at her, talked to her. Never once did we prop the bottle. She had it for one whole year, and did not once hold it for herself. She would have I am sure, but I felt that was what WE were for. "I am at work all day. The least I can do is hold her bottle!".

I truly believe that the skin to skin contact, eye contact, closeness etc. is a better determination of how well a baby does, regardless of the liquid being taken in.

• jannie
    15 years ago

i hope i didn't offend anyone. I really liked breastfeeding, for me, it was the best way. But I was also young and healthy. I wasn't rushed back to work, nor did I have other stresses on me. The LaLeche League is a group of women who have successfully breast fed and hope to teach new mothers how to do it. There is certainly a place for formulas, if the mother can't or doesn't wish to breast feed. For example, if the mother and baby need to be separated. Plus it's the ONLY method that can involve the father in feedings. I thought it was great FOR ME AND MY KIDS. I remember the nurse telling me that Natural Childbirth is best, too, but as long as you bring a healthy baby into this world, it doesn't maytter how he/she got here. As long as your baby gets enough nutrition,that's all that really matters. On another topic, my MIL was strange in many ways, one of them was she didn't think breast feeding was good, too primitive, too animal, I don't know. Once I went to a restaurant with MLL and SIL (her daughter) with my first born. She was maybe three weeks old. I was wearing a nursing dress, very loose but with two slits in front, disguised with pleats. As we sat in a quiet dark booth, I started to nurse her. MIL looked shocked, said "That's disgusting, you better do that in the ladies room." I was embarassed, turned beet red, and ran in the bathroom. There was no special place to nurse, so I went in a booth and sat down, and locked the door. It smelled bad but I stayed and fed her, all the while crying. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Since then, I have always seemed to look for evidence that "validates" my breast-feeding. Sorry about this, I just had to "get it off my chest". And isn't it typical that MILs and DILs don't get along?

• wildchild
    15 years ago

Jannie I'm so sorry that happened to you. I have always been hard-headed and thick skinned. I probably would have told MIL to take her plate into the bathroom and eat HER meal there since she deemed it an appropriate place to feed a child.

It always bothers me when I see a babe being fed in a restroom. It puts a smile on my face when I see a mother comfortable with nursing in public. Most people don't even know a mom is nursing if she's discrete.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

It has been almost 24 years so I have to jog the memory about how long I BF my son. I think it was somewhere between 16-18 months. He started using a cup so only nursed him to get him to go to sleep at night for a few months more.

It hurt like He!! the first couple of weeks or so then I came down with a breast infection where your breast gets as hard as a rock and is HOT! I sure hope you don't get that. I think I got it from a thrush infection from my son. But I persevered and continued with the BFing.

They told us to toughen our nipples by using an air dried terry cloth towel that was rough. We were suppose to rub them several times a day at least a month before the birth. I don't know if it helped much. The only thing I couldn't do was the breast pump, so we didn't go out much or took him with us when we did. I also nursed in public by putting a baby blanket over him and my shoulder so no one noticed, or at least no said a word.

Good luck and I hope it works for you. Once you are past the tough beginning I think it is the most wonderful experience you can share with your baby. I felt so close to him when I nursed.
    Clare

• intherain
    15 years ago

It sounds like you and Katie are doing great! As everyone else has said, do what feels best for you and Katie.

Sheryl

• jaims16
    15 years ago

Just wanted to answer Dance's question - babies who are fed breastmilk from a bottle are still considered "breastfed." It's the nutrients, antibodies, etc. in breastmilk that can't be replicated in formula that are considered to have increased benefit for babies, not the actual manner in which they receive the milk.

And Jannie, I have to disagree about formula feeding being the only way a father can be included. I pumped breastmilk from the beginning (mainly to revlieve engorgement - my milk came in hard and fast!!) and my husband starting giving my sons a bottle of breastmilk every day at three weeks old.

I'm of the mindset that you have to do what feels best for you and your baby. That being said, if you are able to offer your baby breastmilk, it's a good idea. I lost my baby weight in two weeks the first time and one week the second time due to nursing. And, with two daycare bills and two kids in diapers, I don't know how we'd make ends meet if we had to add the expense of formula to that!! But I know that I'm very lucky that I have a good enough milk supply to nurse my son and pump while I'm at work so he can have breastmilk during the day while he's at daycare.

Good luck to all the mothers out there. You're all doing a great job!!

• jannie
    15 years ago

Yes, and I remember a great saying "Every Mother is a Working Mother." Nobody has it easy, nor does anybody have all the answers. But somehow we get our kids raised as best we can. And thanks to My Own Special Mom, who turned 85 this past Monday.

• Toni S
    15 years ago

I tried to BF but also found DS wouldn't latch good. I probably had twenty people at one time or another looking at my breasts and the baby, trying to help. Even they were unsuccessful. I Did the pre expressing, the covers, beer, every position know to women kind and it didn't work. I was very disappointed! I pumped for a few weeks and would try to breastfeed off and on until going to formula. NOW,,17 years later my son is a very bright, extremely smart, loving young man. Bottle feeding didn't hurt him or my other children (or me for that matter). I don't let the La leche league get me down. I did what I needed to do and my kids are no more sick (even healthier) than their BF friends! I can honestly say that I have not seen any of my friends kids who have been bottle feed, become sick or have problems anymore than the children who were BF. My children (knock on wood!) are rarely sick and very smart.

Genetics play a big part in what happens to children and how they react to formula, I'm sure some will benefit from being BF and as with me, formula did the job perfectly. I sit on the fence when it comes to feeding. BF would be ideal but Formula for a year works too.

• alisande
    15 years ago

Coincidentally, I got this in my email today:

MALMO, Sweden, May 13 -- Women who breastfeed for an extended period of time after the birth of their children may be less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis (RA), researchers found.

Breastfeeding for more than a year reduced women's risk of the condition 54% and breastfeeding for at least a month tended to reduce the risk 26%, reported Mitra Pikwer, of the Malmö University Hospital here, and colleagues online in Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.

However, giving birth was not protective nor was oral contraceptive use, according to the community-based study.

These findings add to the evidence for the many health benefits of breastfeeding for mother and child, the researchers said.

Responding to Toni's post, in which she said, "I don't let the La leche league get me down," I can say with some confidence that no one in LLL wants to get you down. They are a group of women supporting women. They understand that life is not always perfect, and we do the best we can with what we're given.

I founded the first LLL group in our county over 30 years ago, and made many lasting friendships that still thrive today. Most of our daughters are breastfeeding our grandchildren, but a few gave up after a struggle. Trust me, we don't love them any less.

Susan

• sooey
    15 years ago

YES...THE PAIN WILL GO AWAY! Good for you for sticking with it!

I tried to nurse my first daughter but found that I was not prepared for the reality of a baby latching on to my tender nipple. That BF experience lasted for about a week. I prepared for my second child and was ready for it. I nursed her fo just about a year. Yes, it hurts when they first latch on but as I remember, that pain...the kind that sucks all breath from your lungs...lasted for about 3 - 4 weeks. It gets better and better and then, it's gone. After that, it's as easy and natural as you could ever imagine. GOOD FOR YOU! And, good for the baby as well.

sooey

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

I was lucky and had no problem breast feeding my 3 kids. In fact, my milk came in weeks before they were born and I had them breast feeding within an hour of being born. I fed Rhiannon 9 months until she wanted to just eat solids so weaned her at that time. Peyton was different and wouldn't take a bottle or pacifier or solid foods. I breast fed her exclusively until she was 14 months old. Funny thing was that I found out 2 weeks later I was expecting number 3. Hayden I breast fed him until he was 6 months old. The only reason I stopped breastfeeding him was that we found out that the tubal ligation that I had done 9 months ago wasn't final. We don't know how it happened but we are expecting number 4 in November. I plan on breast feeding him until he is ready what ever the age. My sis and I were both very lucky our milk was leaking out weeks before we had our babies and they were easy to breast feed. There are products that are available to help those that have inverted nipples. I feel bad for those who have problems with breastfeeding or pain with feedings. I agree with the others that not latching on is probably the problem. Squeezing your breast and making the nipple and aereola area smaller help to make it easier to latch on, also if your breasts are over full then it is hard for the baby to latch on, squeeze out some of your milk and let some milk down, it will make it easier to have the baby latch on. Also putting some of your milk on your nipple then the baby can smell and taste the milk it attracts the baby.

Stacie
    girlsingardens