SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

'Temporarily' finish bath?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I'm wondering if this is worth it for a month or so. You all know we've been working on the house for nearly 3 years, living with 1 full bath (also have a toilet but no sink - no supply lines run - in powder room). I got sidetracked by a porch reno last month (really hadn't planned on that this year). I wanted to finish the master bath before DS starts Jr High end of August since he and DH will now be getting up at the same time and DS is going to *have* to start showering more often.

But I forgot that 2 of my siblings (each has 1 kid, and DB brings his DW though often my sister travels w/o her DH) always come to visit my parents for a week or so at the end of July. So sis and her DD will be staying with us again since my parents don't have room for 5 additional people. It will probably be about a week, they (or at least sis) will move to my parents' house once DB and his family leave but I don't know when that will be. DN wants to have a sleepover with my DD, so if she's not tired of being here, she'll stay an extra night or 2 after her mom moves 10 miles up the road.

We did it last summer, it wasn't too bad, DN is only 4, so no issue with showers in the morning (her mom bathes her at night), in fact with jet lag the both of them will sleep late and stay up late, so no problems with DH getting ready for work. I'm flexible with shower times, in fact I often don't get a chance to shower every day (much as I'd like to), I'm hoping sis will take the girls to my parents' to play with 3-yr old DN (DB's DD) so I can work and then I can shower late in the day, we usually have big family dinners almost every night so I'd drive up with DH (sis would take the Explorer).

So, should we just live that 1 week with a single shower, or lay some self-stick vinyl tile in the master bath so we can use the (fully functional) shower there w/o getting subfloor wet, maybe set the toilet (though pulling it out and resetting it after we get tile in would be a pain)? Maybe even try to get a sink in the PR w/i the next 3 weeks? I haven't picked countertop for master vanity yet, and want to add 3" to each end, rewire lights so they're centered over sinks, etc. so I'm not really ready to put sinks in master yet (though I have sinks and faucets, and all the plumbing is in place).

To complicate matters, BIL might come at some point too, we don't know yet if he will just spend a couple of nights at my parents' b4 he and sis take their DD to visit other grandparents in LI, or if he might come at same time or shortly after they arrive at our house. Seems he's being "encouraged" to take some additional vacation during transition time b/t current project (wrapping up) and new project (August). Does adding 1 more adult (though jet lagged and on vacation) change the bathroom situation?

Last May we had DH's 3 sisters here and even though they were on vacation there was a line for the bathroom in the mornings (after DH left for work but I was still trying to get kids off to school) and when the adults all decided to go to bed after staying up chatting. We can be a little smarter about it this summer and DH and I can brush our teeth early, and/or leave backup toothbrushes and toothpaste in the kitchen. So I don't know if we really need that sink in the PR yet (would like to wait til plumber is coming to install Roman tub faucet after we tile deck). The only issue might be the shower if BIL comes too and he, sis, and I all have to get ready (e.g., for a family field trip to museum or something) at the same time?

Comments (8)