SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Digging and holding plants temporarily

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

I'm having a major patio renovation done in August, and I need to dig up *a lot* of perennials and small shrubs to get out of the way - the patio and beds are being re-shaped, plus they need access points for their equipment.

So, where to begin...ugh! The when to begin is next week.

Can I just water well, dig, and throw in trash bags with some dirt and hold in the shade? Or should I take the time to actually pot them up? I have lots of plastic nursery pots I've kept over the years - the supplies aren't the problem, it's the time factor, since I've only a week to get it all done (on vacation next week).

I'm planning on re-planting the beds when he's finished, obvsiouly, but it will be in bits and pieces - I have to think about plant arrangement first (since the beds will be re-shaped), plus I'll only have time to work on the project here and there after work or for a short while on the weekends. That's my biggest concern - holding the plants over until replanting, it might take a good month or two to get everything back in the ground.

I know the perennials will take a beating and come back just fine next year, but I do have some rugosa roses and a tree-form hydrangea and possibly other shrubs I'm more concerned about.

Please advise on how best to handle.

It will be very nice patio when it's all done, but I have ZERO motivation for gardening this year, I am just not looking forward to all this work. I need to get my mojo back. Don't suppose you have any advice on that, do you? :0p

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21