SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaandbilly_gw

Advice needed: how to add on to a Dutch Colonial Revival?

aliciaandbilly
10 years ago

This is the first time I've posted in this forum, so please forgive me if this is not the appropriate place to pose my question.

My husband and I have been living in our home for 4 years now, always with the understanding that for it to be a long-term home we would want to add on a master bathroom. While we're not quite to the point of being able to take on such a project, I'm realizing that many other decisions we'd like to make now are contingent upon if and how we accomplish that goal. Therefore, I've decided to we need to come up with a "master plan". We're hoping to speak with an architect soon, but first I was curious to get some opinions from the Gardenweb community on what you would do.

We live in a very densely populated 1920's subdivision of single homes, most of which no longer conform with current zoning regulations, our home included. As such, any addition that we do cannot expand the footprint of the house from side to side without a variance (which I doubt we'd be granted), but rather must go forward or back. Our backyard is already pretty small (our whole lot is only 60'W x 120'L), so we'd rather build up on the existing footprint or build towards the front of the house.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the exterior, as well as a rough sketch of the 1st and 2nd floor floor-plans and survey of the property.

The house is a 1925 Dutch Colonial Revival, originally 3 bdrm, 1 bath, with a 1/2 bath plopped into the sunroom during the 80's by an elderly previous owner. In terms of a master plan, I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a master bath and more closet space for the master bedroom and potentially relocate the 1st floor 1/2 bath.

The three options I'm toying with are:

1. Add a second floor onto the sunroom where the sleeping porch is, leaving the 1/2 bath in the sunroom. You see this all the time with Dutch Colonial Revivals, although I have yet to see a design that doesn't scream ADDITION!!!!

2. Push out the front of the house left of the living room windows, mimicking the gambrel roof facing towards the street. This may allow for the 1/2 bath to be tucked away in the sunroom and allow more master bath/closet space upstairs. However, this would block a lot of the living room's natural light and may be too narrow of a space to obtain the right proportions?

3. Using the same idea as #2, push out on the right side of the house, possibly gaining an entrance to a master bath from the existing master closet door, and use the enlarged 1st floor hallway to accommodate a 1/2 bath. This resolves the light issue, but would be even narrower than #2.

Has anyone had experience adding on to a Dutch Colonial Revival or seen something similar that you liked? Any thoughts or insights on the above ideas or other solutions? My husband (who has tolerated more than his fair share of me talking about this) thanks you in advance for providing him with some well-deserved peace and quiet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor-Plans et al

Comments (16)