SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silkies

New, Open-Concept Colonial Needs Fab Wall Color. Advice Needed Please

silkies
5 years ago

Long-time lurker here,. So HELLO :) finally!

We've just recently moved into a 10 year old colonial that is pretty open concept. It's transitional. We have touches of traditional but the first floor is fairly open. Currently, the 1st floor walls, including foyer and stair wall, are painted in 9 year old BM Carrington Beige. At the center of the first floor is the kitchen which is dominated by Giallo Ornamental Granite. It's hard to pin down all the colors but the granite, as you see in the pics, has beige, bronze, a little bitty bit of black, a little white, streams greeny greyed gold. The cabinets are a lightest creamed coffee type color...a browned off white.

The floors are a yellow honey oak.

Now this part of the first floor is north-east facing, and, despite the larger windows, is on the dark side. In summer it will get more light thru the breakfast nook. The other half of the first floor is awash with sunlight. The family room which is openly connected to the kitchen and just left as you walk into the kitchen is about 25' long by 18' wide. Has big windows, but again, a little dim. Needs something!

We haven't decorated yet and will have to wait on new furnishings but my family wants the Carrington Beige gone. They find it dingy and 'pukey.'

I'd like to add more contrast and interest. I love whites but feel that it will be too blah here. I'd like to have the cabinets painted...maybe BM Cotton Balls or BM White Dove. The trim is a shock white now and much brighter than the cabs. I could paint the island a deeper tone..

The Carrington Beige makes some sense and looks good in some sections but needs to go. We are changing out the pendant lights for brighter ones. We've got soooo many samples. BM Gray Owl...seemed to cool. Balboa Mist ...too cool again maybe. Classic Gray BM? BM Edgecomb seems too dull. Ballet White BM? Bungalow Beige Behr seems warm and toasty but..dark. Silver Sage Restoration Hardware? Sometimes I just want to slap a gallons of shelf white over all of it and be done. Farrow and Ball rep. Suggested Slipper Satin with Wimborne cabs. Maybe the kithcen could be a distinct clear rich color, while the rest of 1st floor a neutral light? Hard because I tend to like naturals and sometimes a bright berry, turquoise accent.

Should I do all one color on the first or slightly varying colors of same tone?

ANY advice would be

much appreciated.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath