SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garoj

How to strengthen beam in order to remove posts

garoj
16 years ago

Correct me if I am in the incorrect forum.... I have a garage that is 25X25 with a flat roof. The stringers are 2X10's, where they cross there is a 8"X12" beam. It is stained so I can't tell what kind of wood, but in any case, there is no sign of bowing or anything. The posts are metal and were poured into the concrete floor apparently. They are 5 feet apart beginning in the middle -- the outside 5 feet on either end go into the (exterior) walls. Those walls are barely load bearing as the third exterior wall which runs parallel to the beam/posts does all the load bearing. In fact those two walls, at the ends of the beam, don't even appear to hold it up (there was no support there until I put in a two by six at each end) but still there is no sag or anything. So the three steel posts seem to do all the supporting, and this massive beam.

I would like to remove the posts and put just two at each end so I can use my woodworking tools better, move around sheets of plywood, etc. Right now they are right in the middle and in the wrong place.

How do I calculate whether this beam is sufficient, and/or whether I need to buttress it with an i-beam or something, and of course how to do that? Oh, the roof is barely pitched (rubberized). I am in RI. We just had the heaviest snow I've seen, so that's a consideration. How do I know if the floor is strong enough, since these new posts would sit on the floor rather than go through it presumably into footings.

Thanks!

Comments (18)