SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrseldoo

Christmas Stocking and pattern I wrote

mrseldoo
16 years ago

Here are four stockings that I made. I couldn't find a pattern online that I like, because I wanted it to be a quilted stocking, but I didn't want to bind it!

Here is the pattern I wrote: Hope you Enjoy!

The "I hate to bind" Christmas Stocking

Supplies:

One large piece of template plastic

½ yard or so of focus novelty fabric

½ yard or so for lining

about ½ yd of fusible fleece

piece of fabric for top and hanger

walking foot (important for working with the multiple layers)

matching thread

Â

Directions:

1. Use an old stocking and trace around it on the template plastic. Use a solid line for this part. Make sure to fold the cuff up and out of the way so you can get an accurate measurement. Draw a ¼ inch dashed line from the solid line for the seam allowance. Cut your template out on the dashed line.
  2. Fold your fabric in half, making sure the design is going the way you want it. This is how it will appear on your stocking. Now place your stocking template on top and trace it with a pencil. Cut out and you will have your stocking front and back. Repeat this process for batting and lining fabric.
  3. Fuse fleece in place to focal fabric. Do NOT baste lining fabric. You should only have two layers at this point, the focal fabric and the fleece. You should have two of these, per stocking. Make sure you have a front and a back.
  4. Quilt as desired. For my stockings, there was already a grid pattern, so I took advantage of having to do no marking!
  5. Pin stocking with right sides together. Sew together with ¼ inch seam, securing at beginning and end. Turn right side out.
  6. Pin lining pieces right sides together. Sew using ¼ inch seam. Do NOT turn right side out.
  7. Insert lining into stocking. Match side seams and pin. Sew ¼ inch seam around top.
  8. Measure the top of your stocking (all the way around). Add ½ inch to this measurement for seam allowances. Deicide how long you want your cuff to be. For instance, my stocking top measured 19 inches. My first measurement would be 19.5 inches. I decided I wanted my cuff to measure 3.5 inches, so I would multiply that times 2. My measurement for my stocking cuff would then be 19.5 by 7 inches.

NOTE: If you are planning to embroider a name on the cuff, make sure to first cut the piece oversize and trim it down. Embroidering can really shrink a piece of fabric. Since I do not have an embroidery machine, I hand embroidered mine with a stem stitch, using two strands of perle cotton size 5. It was hard to pull through, though!

1. Sew ends of cuff together using a ¼ inch seam. Press to one side.
  2. Cut a 1/ ½ inch x 6 piece of fabric matching your cuff for hanger. Press edges into middle. Press these edges together in thee middle to form a strip. Topstitch.
  3. Pin cuff and hanger to inside of stocking. Hanger should be pinned at left side of heel, so toe points to the right. Pin hanger with raw edges sticking up out of the stocking. Sew ¼ inch seam, making sure to secure at beginning and end of stitching. Backstitch over hanger for added security.
  4. Turn cuff right side out. Enjoy your stocking!

{{gwi:2051874}}

{{gwi:2051875}}

Comment (1)