SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

My condo.......

patty_cakes
16 years ago

Here's the photos that will appear on the listing-the agent has the outside pix. The inside ones he took were terrible. These still show dark, but at least you can see more of the bedroom and not just the bed, or the shelf of a closet. When the listing is put on line i'll post. ;o)

(hope i'm doing this right)

Please be honest in your opinions. I don't know if I can do anything about the lighting. The agent's were even darker!

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/pavinson/

Comments (58)

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

I'll be honest too, since you asked.

I don't think those photos do your home justice. I think the lighting and angles are bad.

The foyer shot give me the distinct impression of looking up the lamp's skirt!

The kitchen shot is odd, and doesn't show off the whole kitchen. The granite's beautiful, though!

The living room shot should be redone without so much light coming in the window. It looks simultaneously bright/too dark.

I personally LOVE your laundry room, and that one photo would be enough for me to send your listing to a client!

I would re-take the shots with all of the lights on, and experiement with flash vs. no flash. Sometimes if the lighting is good enough, and you have the lamps and ceiling fixtures turned on, you get a better shot if you don't use a flash.

I think your home (and taste...very similar to mine!) is lovely.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I have to agree that I don't think the lighting etc is doing the home justice. I've seen other pictures you've posted on other occasions and they have looked way better than these. It is either the camera or something else done differently.

There is a shadow that is repeated in a few spots that makes it look like dirt on the walls. In a few pictures so I'm guessing it is on the lense.

The laundry room looks like it has a bunch of dirt hanging from the ceiling in the popcorn.

Actually I think I see way to much ceiling in the pictures and a constant reminder of the popcorn ceiling. I would try not to highlight that part in the pictures.

• Related Discussions

NEED HELP WITH DECORATING MY CONDO PLEASE - REALLY BAD AT THIS

Q

Comments (6)
    First of all, congrats on your new place! Very nice layout. I think the navy where the wall paper is, would look great. The other walls looks like they are painted a light beige/tan. Your ideal look is definitely white instead of that color. White maybe be the trickiest color as there are so many shades of white. You'd want to use a crisp white that doesn't have any undertones. With just the accent walls being navy, I don't think you'll need to worry about it being too dark at night. It looks like you have a fair number of canned lights that will help. I can't tell what the colors of the sheers are, but white sheers would pop on navy walls, and will help break up the navy. The clean flat front of the kitchen cabinets look modern, so you are good there. Your local paint store might have a color expert that take look at your place and give color recommendations according to what you're trying to achieve. Please keep us posted, would love to see how your place turns out.
    ...See More

Need help with a new garden space for my condo in Morris Cnty NJ

Q

Comments (19)
    Unless that area is at least 8 ft deep, it's too narrow for hydrangeas. And deer love hydrangeas. I would want to know if it gets sun from noon or 1 on, the hottest part of the day. If so, I'd go for plants that prefer sun. And BTW, perennials are no more "hit or miss" than are shrubs. Deer love phlox, but leave many other perennials alone. Shade perennials they leave alone include Ferns, Digitalis, Brunnera, Pulmonaria, Lamium--many choices among those. Don't attempt hostas. Sun perennials they leave alone include Achillea, Irises of all types, Nepetas, Coreopsis, Gaillardia, ornamental grasses, and many, many others as well.
    ...See More

Please help choose paint for my condo

Q

Comments (2)
    When I bought the house where I live now, the previous owner had just painted every room the same color. I don’t know the color name but it’s kind of a white/pale champagne. Very appropriate and I’m very glad she did.
    ...See More

Help with a paint color and theme for my condo

Q

Comments (15)
    Looks like you are pretty well starting from scratch. You might want to look at inspiration pictures on Pinterest and search coastal condo. Note combinations you are attracted to, how they complement, and especially colors. Usually accessories, tiles, and rugs guide the paint color and then are narrowed down based on the natural light and preference for lighter/darker shades; see below (starting with paint makes it harder). If you are in a hurry to paint, you can’t go wrong with a soft neutral and be sure to consider the undertone; ie: see differences below. Also consider your kitchen cabinet undertone in your decision. Your bathroom will have tiles to consider and chose the bedrooms’ color based on your bedding or curtains if you already have. If not, again look at pictures to help you narrow down. Again consider light or dark shades and undertones, if you like a focal wall, etc
    ...See More
  • kellyeng
    16 years ago

I'm a fan of major decluttering. This is what I would do to your livingroom. Sorry about the rough photoshopping, I did it pretty quick.

BEFORE
    {{!gwi}}

AFTER
    {{!gwi}}

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

- The foyer needs to be shot from a different angle.
    - Kitchen, living room and family room pix are too dark.
    - The bathrooms need to be de-cluttered.

People are shopping online and looking at listing after listing. Pictures matter a lot. Especially in a tighter time. Do whatever you can to have nice, well-lit pictures. I want to see what the architecture of the rooms look like and get a feel for the size, not look at the furniture and decorating.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You would not believe the decluttering I did! Well maybe reno-fan would as I know she likes her 'stuff', too. LOL Again, i've ASKED the realtor if I needed to remove anything, and he said, 'no, it looks like a model'. Most 'serious shoppers' look at size of rooms/sq ft, location, condition, and upgrades, with paint/decorating being secondary.

Also, we did have the lights on in most of the shots, and also GS used a flash. He was using his $1,000 camera, but i'm thinking i've taken better ones with my cheap little $150 camera.

I'll have to go back and check the 'dirty smudges' and 'hanging dirt' on the popcorn ceilings. If *I* take more pix, i'll try to avoid so much of the popcorn. LOL

I really do appreciate everyone giving their opinion, but know, I may not take all your well given advice. If it hurts the sale, i'll only have myself to kick in the butt.

I also told the realtor I want to hear ALL remarks by lookers and from other agents also. That will give me a true representation of what I might need to do. ;o)

• triciae
    16 years ago

patty_cakes,

The biggest problem for me would be the lack of any exterior pictures. Especially since it's a condo. I would want to know what the building & front door area looks like. Without that, I'd probably skip on past your listing. Some condo developments are very attractive & some are well...rather bleak. So, since there's no exterior pictures...I'd assume yours was the later.

I love the laundry room but agree there's a lot of ceiling in the picture. I also like the powder room. I find the photoshopped picture above to be stark. I like the way it actually looks much better.

What I don't like though are the lack of moldings. It looks like there's not even any window trim. That gives it an apartment feeling, IMO. I know you can't change that; but it would certainly affect what I offered for your condo. Maybe, in your area that's normal or is this an older building?

Good luck. Hope it sells quickly for you.

Tricia

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tricia, knowing you're in 'the business' I always appreciate your input. The agent took what I thought were some great exterior pictures~pool area, building, and grounds. My GS was just trying to help with the interior shots. Exterior/interior will be on the listing.

The laundry and powder rooms will not be featured. He only has so much space, and although the rooms are mentioned, pictures are probably not that important.

I disliked the photoshopped picture, also, but thank the poster for taking the time to show the difference. I have a large space behind the loveseat(the back is what you're seeing)and a small table with a lamp to take up some of that space. The wood flooring makes the room look even larger. The agent did an 'arial shot' so you will see the total room, though a little glare from the window.

There are no mouldings, except around doorways~it's the nature of the beast in S. CA. Our old home recently sold for the second time at $1.3M, and no mouldings were added, just kitchen/bath and flooring upgrades. Both condo and home were built in '84. So yes, it IS normal, and ugly~not what i'm used to, coming from the midwest. Do you think I should add a drapery panel on those windows? Then we're getting into more decorating. LOL ;o)

• brody_miasmom
    16 years ago

I think it looks very nice. I like the powder room! I think part of the lighting problem is that the sun is shining in the windows. Can you try taking the pictures at a different time of day when the sun is still out, but not shining in the windows? Has anyone ever checked into having a professional photographer take their photos? Foxtons realty company has the best photography, I got a flyer one time that discussed in detail how much time and emphasis they put on getting great pictures. I've included a link to a random Foxtons listing in my county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Random Foxtons listing.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Cute condo! Like the way you decorated, looks like what I try to do (before I packed my stuff - which I miss *sniff) but in different colors. Have to say I am not a red person but I do like what you've done to the powder room. I also like the lime green for the laundry area, looks good with the floor.

If it was me, I would have to add something to the windows, either some kind of treatment or molding. Molding would look great with the shutters.

It's very hard to get the right camera / lighting combo to take inside pics. I have 4 cameras in the house and have yet to find one that takes "the picture". I never did get to see the agents pics, she was having computer problems that day & couldn't get hers off of her camera. I'd taken shots when she left and already had them open when she told me what was going on so I let her use mine. I figured if hers were better, she could replace them but never did.

I've found that some rooms I will have to shoot at different times of the day depending on where I'm standing & the sun. It would be worth it to bring in a pro instead of having to do it this way. It gets very time consuming if you are moving things out of the way. I may look into it when we relist (if I have time)

Love the kitchen counter from what I can see. You'll have to post more pics.

• peppermill
    16 years ago

You desperately need a professional photographer. And I like the green laundry room and red powder room.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brody, roselvr, and pepper, thank you for giving me some positive feedback too. I want honest opinions and that means the negative as well as the positive. Thank you for liking my powder room and laundry room~I love them too, that's why I didn't have the heart to paint them. Two small rooms in a 'lousy' color aren't gonna stop a sale IMO.

The consensus seems to be it's the lighting. I don't have overhead lighing, only lamps, and had them turned on. There's a roof over the patio in front, so that doesn't help the LR or DR. The kitchen/sitting rooms were fairly bright when the photos were taken, so I don't understand. My bedroom was also quite bright.

But out of this comes some good news. I called my realtor, and for the second time told him I was unhappy with the pictures. He told me he works with a woman who is a stager, as well as doing great photography~she'll be calling me to set up a time to take pictures. I asked him how much it would cost, and he said they work together and do favors for one another when necessary, so wouldn't cost a thing! I'm stoked!!

Professional? Maybe not, but if she's a stager, she's definitely visual. She should be aware of what angle a picture is taken to be presented well in a photo. She may also have some ideas for lighting, like moving my floor lamps all thru the house. LOL ;o)

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I like the color in the powder room, but there is way too much stuff in there. It also looks like that piece of furniture in the master bath is making the space a bit tight. Don't worry about taking new pictures with less ceiling showing. Just crop them:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• minibim
    16 years ago

I don't think your pictures are bad per se, the lighting though is a problem. Why don't you get a portable shop light and hold it in the background with it on? Take a lot of pictures with the light in various locations until you get a shot that looks good?

I think your laundry room is definitely a BIG feature as many condos don't have one. It's a little too cutesy for me, since I would probably have it doubling as storage, but that's just cosmetic. It's evident there isn't any storage in that room though, when you have to hide the detergent between the washer and dryer.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terriks, yeah, there probably is, but I removed the majority of it already. Glad you like the color too.

Mini, I was thinking of some sort of light~that's a great idea, but i'm going to wait and see what 'Ms. Stager' has to say. As for storage, see that big black thing in the right hand corner? That's a storage cabinet. The fabric softerner bottle was there to be thrown out. Would detergent that was not hidden out of view keep you from purchasing a home you otherwise liked? Let's hope not, as that's being just a bit TOO picky. LOL

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I also keep a bottle next to the washer for refilling the smaller bottle. Since the wholesale club is a little on the far side, I can buy 6 (detergent & Snuggle) 300 load bottles at a time. With a bad back, it's easier on me to keep one of each next to the machine so I don't have to lift / walk with them.

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

Ok, my 2c:

The pictures are pointed towards the ceiling a lot, showing the popcorn ceiling like crazy.

The candle chandeliers need to come down because a lot of people think those are hardwired and will freak out that they're in weird (to them) spots.

Turn off the flourescent lights in the kitchen when you take the picture, it's making everything look greenish and I can see that under the bad lighting it's a really lovely kitchen.

The powder room looks like a gothic torture chamber. Seriously, one of my own houses had its own powder room torture chamber (nickname I give for any windowless room painted a dark color). Totally clear it out, make it neutral, bland, no hint of your taste (which I like, but it's more specific than I think you should have for selling).

I'd leave the laundry room acid green. Not because I like it (I do, our master bedroom is that color!), but because it will be how people remember your house-like, I liked that condo with the crazy green laundry room. It won't put people off from buying it, but it will help it to stand out in their memories.

You can go to Home Depot and get a big halogen utility light and use that to light your house when you take the pictures. It will give a clean, bright true color when photographing. Aim it at the ceiling, shoot towards the windows, and use an additional fill flash.

Hope this helps!

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

Is that wallpaper on the ceiling in the powder room? You really want to get rid of that because people will look at it and think, oh, man, how am I going to ever get that off!?

Remember, never overestimate your buyer's intelligence. See that other thread I was posting on...

I have to say I think the powder room is totally cool, but if I moved in I'd have to make it completely different because I would need to make it mine, and it's sooooooo strongly YOURS.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions, and I don't have much to add, except that what looks too busy in a photo looks perfectly fine in real life. So, if you are going to re-take some of the photos, you could remove some things temporarily.

I think your GS has been watching too much HGTV and tried to be too clever with the photo angles. :) I believe you can rent a set of shop lights at Home Depot in the rental department. And remember, you are taking photos of the room, not the furniture.

By the way, I found that photobucket slideshow immensely irritating. But you have a cool laundry room.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

I LOOOOOOOVE what Terriks did with the photos! Much better, and you get a good peek at the possibilities the condo offers.

By the way, where did you find your toile transferware? I love it! It's exactly what my new kitchen is needing.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I disagree w/ the photoshopping done above--removing the foreground lamp makes the room look SMALLER--and flat. The lamp in the immediate foreground helps you tell the depth of the room.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today is not a good day for me to see(read)bad things~Just a little pity party for myself as I had surgery getting ready for implants. No, not that kind~oral surgery for dental implants.LOL

Roselvr, I used to do that too, but now I have this huge corner cabinet(should I paint it white? It'll stay)Thanks for rescuing me.

Disney, you're right, they're IS too much ceiling, as already mentioned. I will point that out to the *next* camerman/woman who take photos. Will place a 'does not convey' sticker on the candleliers 'because they are not hardwired'. Odd spots to you, but someone else may not think so~will hold off on your suggestion. Thank you for the suggestion re:the kitchen lights. I thought they would make it brighter. My agent says to leasve the powder room as it will not keep the condo from selling. What would keep ME from buying is Pergo floors that sound like walking on plastic, which several of my 'contenders' have, one with a white powder room. I'd rather paint a powder room than replace a condo full of Pergo.(It's been on the maket since Feb.) I like the green laundry room a LOT~glad you do to! Good idea about the lights. Maybe i'll do that before 'ms. stager' comes. And yes, that is wallpaper on the ceiling~good eye. Thank you for all your commnets. Yes, the red color is sooooo strongly mine, but i've already disassociated myself so much for the rest of the house that in the 'larger scheme ot things' one red room probably won't matter. If it becomes an issue thru remarks by lookers, I will re-paint. Till then it stays red. I thank you and appreciate taking the time to look over the photos thoroughly enought to noctice the wallpaper. LOL

LOL reno_fan! Yes, you can see VERY up close, maybe too much. I 'chased after' all the toile dishes in the spring~I wasn't planning on selling then, just wanted black/white toile. Got some at Ross~they're stacked to the right and you can't see them and different than the square ones/pitcher/cups which I got at TJ Max. All the stores seem to get them in the spring and you have to act fast. Thank you, glad you like them and thanks you for commenting.

Tall_sue, i've already agreed~it would make the room look too empty. It's a very big room and needs the small table and lamp behind the loveseat. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Now i'm going to go take a Vicodin and pass out. LOL ;o)

• technicolor_cottage
    16 years ago

I don't think you should change a thing! I see a beautifully appointed, warm and inviting home that is bound to leave potential buyers with a terrific impression. (And you just know how I feel about your colors!)

Gentle (((((hugs))))) to you -- hope you're feeling better soon.

Your home is classy and lovely. I predict a quick sale!
    :-)

• jy_md
    16 years ago

While not my style, I *like* the powder room. The only thing I would do is reduce the number of frames on the wall (e.g., take away the overlapping ones). It's clear that these things will not be around once the house is sold. I love the mini-chandelier! I was thinking of doing that exact thing in my powder room.

I also agree with Minibim that the mere existence of a laundry room in a condo is a bonus. I personally like the wall color and would definitely keep it. The thing to remember is these are relatively small distinct spaces so repainting is pretty quick and painless.

I also prefer the original living room photo. The photoshopped version of the room looks flat.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

My agent says to leasve the powder room as it will not keep the condo from selling. What would keep ME from buying is Pergo floors that sound like walking on plastic, which several of my 'contenders' have, one with a white powder room. I'd rather paint a powder room than replace a condo full of Pergo.(It's been on the maket since Feb.) I like the green laundry room a LOT~glad you do to! Good idea about the lights. Maybe i'll do that before 'ms. stager' comes. And yes, that is wallpaper on the ceiling~good eye. Thank you for all your commnets. Yes, the red color is sooooo strongly mine, but i've already disassociated myself so much for the rest of the house that in the 'larger scheme ot things' one red room probably won't matter. If it becomes an issue thru remarks by lookers, I will re-paint. Till then it stays red.

You know what your competition is. You've been prepping for a long time and I know you have to be tired. You get to the point where you have to have a space that is still a little you. With the market the way it is, you may have to live in it longer then you planned, so one space may as well make you happy. Although I've stated many times that red is not me & that I wouldn't want to have to paint, it wouldn't discourage me and I could probably live with it for a while. I do think the 2 rooms will make your place stick out so they will be easily remembered. I've seen so many houses, my brain is mush, but a few I do remember due to having something different.

btw, don't paint the cabinet.

Today is not a good day for me to see(read)bad things~Just a little pity party for myself as I had surgery getting ready for implants. No, not that kind~oral surgery for dental implants.LOL

Now i'm going to go take a Vicodin and pass out. LOL ;o)

Feel better. I can't stand tooth / mouth pain. They wanted to do the gum implants on me; thankfully my insurance won't cover it. I ended up hearing from a few dentists that they don't think it makes a difference. If this is what you are doing, you are a brave woman!

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My listing is UP!!! Can the photos be changed if the stager takes better pictures? I called my agent last night and told him NOT to put the photos on line until the stager came. I'm PO'd!!

Anyway, here it is:
    http://homes.realtor.com/prop/1087163742?gate=msn

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

A quick looks shows me 17 pictures, some of which did not upload right. Look at a few, you'll see what I'm talking about with clarity / focus.

Will look more tomorrow

• qdognj
    16 years ago

link for patty-cakes

Here is a link that might be useful: patty-cakes

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Why did he even put it on MLS before the stager came?

• marvelousmarvin
    16 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the exterior pics. For the first pic, I'm not exactly sure which one your unit is supposed to be. And, then, I wouldn't put other exterior pics such as the pool and surronding yard immediately after that.

Not everybody is going to go through all your pics, so I'd make sure the first pics are the most important or best selling features.

And, your listing states that you have a city view but we dont't really see that in any of your pics. The best such pic would probably be a photoshopped one where you can see the room and the view simultaneously in focus. Since you don't have to directly pay for a prof. photographer, I'd insist that your realtor get one.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marv, I think exteriors *are* important. Not all condo complexes are well mainained or as attractive as others. Since all the units are identical, except of course corner units, it really doesn't matter which building is in the picture, although I do have flowers on mine. I will mention this to him though.

I agree that not everyone will go thru all the photos, but it's also my belief that people don't always take photos at face value, and want to see things in real life. I happen to be one of those people.

As for the view of the canyon, city and beautiful sunsets, he did take several shots, but the brightness factor made then terribly faded. The stager/photographer can't come until Friday, and i'm anticpating her pictures will be much clearer and brighter. For the moment, the 'bad photos' will remain on the site. I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

• brody_miasmom
    16 years ago

I agree that exterior shots are important for condos, your complex looks really nice. Regarding the interior, I'm sure the stager's pictures will be better; however, I think the smaller pictures in the listing help shrink the "flaws" in your photography. I am curious about the price range though, I've never seen that. Is that typical in your market?

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Brody, just realized I posted this on the 'finally met with realtor' thread'

The concept was first tried in Australia back in 1990, and brought to SD, or the North County area in 1995.
    In my price range and zip code area, over half are using(trying)the MRV(market range value)as a means of getting more action from their listing. So Yes, it IS typical in the SD market.

Here's an anticle someone was kind enough to post~the thread is on page 2 if you want to read more~"my condo is on the market".

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20051219_valuerange.htm

I find it hard to believe realtors in other states haven't tried what has proven to be fairly succeessful in SD. But then again, SD is a unique and try-anything sort of city where most things 'fly', given enough time.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Brody, just realized I posted this on the 'finally met with realtor' thread'

The concept was first tried in Australia back in 1990, and brought to SD, or the North County area in 1995.
    In my price range and zip code area, over half are using(trying)the MRV(market range value)as a means of getting more action from their listing. So Yes, it IS typical in the SD market.

Here's an anticle someone was kind enough to post~the thread is on page 2 if you want to read more~"my condo is on the market".

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20051219_valuerange.htm

I find it hard to believe realtors in other states haven't tried what has proven to be fairly succeessful in SD. But then again, SD is a unique and try-anything sort of city where most things 'fly', given enough time.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Patty_cakes, other states have tried it.... it just doesn't work. We saw it in NJ and NY and passed those listings (in a red hot market) right on by. That is why in the other thread, every person not in San Diego advised you to not do it. The only people in that thread who thought it would/does work live in San Diego. It seems to be very unique to your local market.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to share something that happened yestersay: I was sitting here, 'conversing' on one on the forums, when I heard a key in what I knew had to be the lockbox. I got up, still in my pj's(2:45pm!), as I just had 2 hours of oral surgery the day before, and with a swollen face, knew I wouldn't be going anywhere.

I walked into the DR where the railing overlooks the LR and the foyer is visible. In comes a man, sees me, stops dead, and asks, 'are you the owner?' I answer, and tell him he'll have to excuse my 'attire' as i've just had oral surgery, and not feeling quite up to par. He said he called and left a message(no message!), but then also said he tried calling and it rang and rang.(thinking i'm not home?) He left his card on the foyer table and left. I immediately called my agent and told him what happened, and he said the man called and he had told him to give me a call. I re-inforced it with my agent that I needed at least 1/2 to get dressed and maybe pick up. He understood that, as I had told him I could show at a moments notice. I then called the 'intruding' agent, and told him he could come back, and was told his client bailed on him. He said he might be back later in the week. If he doesn't come, am I to assume he out and out lied to me, and just wanted to look at the place? As a woman living alone, this makes me feel totally vulnerable.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I have a dead bolt on the inside door and the same key is required for the security door, which i'll keep locked at night. When about when I go out? If I don't receiver a phone call, would it be okay to 'batten down the hatches'? I don't want my home to become a swinging door where agents who have nothing better to do can feel free to come and go. ;o/

• guvnah
    16 years ago

That is creepy. We have a commercial property on the market & they have a service that schedules appointments. They call us to "request" a showing at a specific time. They are not supposed to show without calling. Granted, we are not there 24-7 so who knows if other people go in without calling, but if it were my home I would insist that someone talk to me - not just leave a message.

While home, you should throw that dead bolt! If they can't get in, so be it - they can call. If I was out (especially if I was unreachable for a period of time) I would probably make it accessable so I wouldn't have to stop what I was doing to go let them in.

Good luck to you - I think your condo is very comfortable looking & that's what's important to me. You are going to LOVE Austin. It's everything you said you wanted in that thread that's going with the woman in St. Paul who doesn't know if she should move now or later. Easy living!

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

Wow, that would freak me out too.

Here's where the 'disney' in my name comes into play-at WDW, they have these bolt throws that you flip on the door of the hotels so if you're in when housekeeping (Mousekeeping) shows up and you don't hear them, when they open the door it only opens a bit before the slide stops-sort of like a chain lock but much more effective.

Can you get one of these?

They've got to be easy to install...It has saved us from more than one "inflagrante delicto interruptus" episode at disney. ;)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, did your phone ring? If it did, you have to make every effort to pick it up or something like this could happen.

I would bolt up when home, especially in a place like yours when they can't visually see a car in the driveway.

Here's where the 'disney' in my name comes into play-

I figured Spike sent you to Disney at one time, you came back using that name after being sent to Disney lol

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guvnah(you must be in the south? Cute.)The deal was my agent IS supposed to tell people to call, and can be shown in a monent's notice. So YES, I made it very clear it could not be shown unless an agent calls my home/cell phone, FIRST. And yes, I *am* going to love Austin!

Disney, you nasty girl! LOL I know exactly what you're talking about. Most hotels have them these day, but I prefer not to put another device on the door~there are already two locks.

Roselvr, I was talkimg to my DD so the phone never rang. However, I can't remember if I got a beep while talking to her and ignored it. Since he said it rang and rang, that makes me think I was on the other line, didn't pick up, he thought no one was home, and came right in.

I've decided i'm keeping the dead bolt locked when i'm here *and* when i'm gone, unless it's a quick run out. You're right about the car, roselvr. It's a parking lot with very few cars in the daytime, so the normal assumption could be that i'm probably not home. Now that i've cleaned out the garage, I could park in it. What took me so long to figure that out? LOL ;o)

• minet
    16 years ago

What's the point of having a lockbox if you don't want people to come in while you're gone? I think you're saying you would put the deadbolt on if you're out ...?

We had one on our home in SoCal (Orange County) because we were both gone during the day. Then my husband moved on ahead to another state and I was left in the house alone while not working. I never had a problem with people walking in on me. I often came home from work to find a message or two on my machine and indications that a realtor had been inside. I was glad to see that! I wanted to sell the house.

If I were home and didn't want people coming in, then the deadbolt would have been handy. Never happened to me though.

Also, when we first listed our house last fall we used the range pricing. $600k-615k. First buyer offered $615k if we paid closing costs (around $12k) and we accepted it the first week. That buyer disappeared two weeks later and we later reduced the price to under $600 and made it a solid price. The range pricing is still used in Orange County but I don't think it's practical in a declining market. When prices were going up several years ago it made more sense - "we won't sell for less than this but we really expect to get this."

• kylie_m
    16 years ago

Patty_cakes, I am sending good dental implant thoughts your way! I just went through the same thing. Email me if you'd like... sun.diego at gmail dot com.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Minet, I think you've got it right~if I don't get a call, no one enters. Of course I want to sell the house, but I have some valuable antique(at least to me)furnture that I wouldn't want someone to 'take a liking to'.

Just this morning I had another call. It was a woman calling and I had to ask if she was an agent. I guess I expected a business such as Caldwell Banker, to show on the screen, but I guess many will call on personal cell phones. She asked if she could come by, and I told her noon would be fine. She called at 10:45 and said she thought the property was too expensive for the buyer. That makes two for two, neither came back with a client, and I was home both times. I WILL leave my home when I know an agent is coming as I know it could make a buyer feel uncomfortable, and probably me, also.

I had a stager(also an agent) come and take different photos. She advised to have written on the listing: please speak to owner before viewing. She said she never goes into a property before speaking to the owner, even it it takes a couple of days before the owner calls her back. She said she *personally* doesn't want to assume any responsibility if something comes up missing, and feels there is less chance of being blamed if she's spoken to the owner.

It would seem logical/considerate for agents to have this mind set, but in todays world, both seem to have 'gone to the dogs'. ;o)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

The reason I like the Remax system is because I get a call from them to confirm the appointment. It comes up on my caller ID as Remax, so there is no question of who it is if I am screening calls.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roselvr, Kellar Williams doesn't have such a system~sounds like something that should be mandatory as protection to the seller.

Everyone i've told the story to has told me keep the deadbolt on, and not even answer the door, but make them go thru my agent. The consesus seems to be if they're *really* interested in seeing the condo they will call him, and he will tell them to call me. I'm also having:Speak with buyer before viewing, added to the listing. I live in CA folks, remember? Too many nut-cases running around and it would be foolish not to protect myself, if I have that option.

As for losing out on a prospective buyer? Better that, than an assault to my home or myself. ;o)

• rrah
    16 years ago

It always amazes me how different parts of the country do things differently. In the two states I've lived in, an agent would NEVER call the sellers directly for an appointment. All showings go through the office or the listing agent. Office or agent calls seller to okay showing and returns call to buyers agent. My office uses a centralized showing system as it's more cost effective and the hours are later.

This has nothing to do with the company I'm affiliated with, but is custom (maybe law) in my state.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't even know if there's a correct/incorrect procedure for showings here, but I thought in the back of my mind it would be handled just as you say.

My agent gives my number to the agent who is inquiring, and he's the one contacting me, not *my* agent. I don't know if I like that either at it gives free reign to my phone numbers.

Maybe I should approach my agent with the idea, which would make me more comfortable.

Thanks rrah. ;o)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, if you don't have call waiting caller ID, you might think to order it in case you're on the phone again when an agent wants to show it.

btw, if you have a cell, add that to your number list and ask that they call it if for some reason the main numbers answering machine doesn't pick up. Be sure to leave the cell on :)

• minet
    16 years ago

When my house in SoCal was for sale last fall, my home phone number was listed in the realtor-only (not public) section of the MLS and a note said, "call seller before going there" or something like that.

I think having to go through my realtor would just hold things up - scenario: buyer's agent calls mine, who is in the shower or similarly not there to answer the call, so buyer can't see my house. So many houses on the market - they blow it off and go look at others. Or buyer's agent calls mine, who answers and then calls me, but can't reach me, so he can't get my approval to show the house, so buyer again just goes to look at others.

There were many, many houses for sale in my neighborhood and surrounding ones. We were moving out of state and couldn't wait to sell - I didn't want anything to prevent someone from looking.

The only time I had someone show up without calling the house first was when a realtor with clients was just driving through the area and saw the "FOR SALE" sign in the front. They knocked on the door and then waited a couple of minutes while I put away whatever I was working on and got the dogs outside. I just waited outside while they looked quickly.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

In my area there are different options for showing instructions. The most popular, because it is the easiest for the agent to set up showings is call/show/keybox. This means that the agent just needs to call the contact number, which is usually the seller's number, then either talk to the seller or leave a message that they will be showing the house. Then they go show it, letting themselves in with the keybox. The other options are appointment only/call seller, and call listing office/appointment only. As you can imagine, when an appointment must be set up through a third party - the listing agent - it makes it much more complicated for an agent who is trying to show up to a dozen homes in one day to schedule their time. I can't imagine trying to coordinate schedules if I had to call 5 or 6 agents, then wait to hear back from them while they call the sellers, and hope that the stars align and everyone is amenable to showing their homes according to schedule. (I am an assistant to an agent and I set up showings for her, and it makes my brain hurt to think of doing that!). Especially when the homes are not in close proximity to each other.
    So yes, you can request that all showings be scheduled through your agent, but know that if you do that you will most likely cut down on the number of showings you get. Otherwise, be prepared to have agents in your home at any time. It's no fun, but the quicker you sell your home the quicker it will be all over. And making your home easy to show should help it sell faster.

• time2sell
    16 years ago

I didn't have time to read all the postings, but here is my two cents. I am not fond of artificial plants and they seem to take over. I would suggest packing all of them away (for your next house) as I think they add too much visual clutter.

The laundry room seems fun and funky. The powder room is overwhelmingly gothic. Yet I don't think they would make or break a sale. I would hope that buyers look at the house as a whole, the "bones", the layout, the room size, the cleanliness, and not get swayed by the cosmetic. Tons of wallpapering and paneling is a turn-off to me. Paint colors in two small rooms seems to be minor.