SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

ISO: The July 4th article that Marlen wrote

sue_va
15 years ago

I had saved it but somehow have lost it. I would like to have it again to share with friends for the upcoming holiday.

It would be good reading also for some of the newer KTers.

Thanks.

Sue

Comments (7)

• pianolady2008
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this what you're looking for?

The Marlen Chronicles: July 4th Mystery Revealed
    Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Sun, Jul 6, 03 at 17:16
    They got me and they got me good!
    This will be as long as the day that was.
    I got all decked out for the fiesta in my patriotic finest, got all the food I had cooked ready to travel, then called DH to load up the van. In his typical helpful fashion he announced, 'We ain't got #@$%^&* no catering truck!' After much grumbling, we arrived at our destination and I was elated to see several relatives from out of town whom I had not expected to see. Oh, so that's it, I thought. How nice! Then I saw the Pakistani couple and I knew immediately what they were up to.
    You see, a couple of months ago I reached my 100th mark. No, not in years, in Americans. Since 1972 to date, I have helped 100 people from 14 different countries to become American citizens. I teach them citizenship classes, I help them fill out the application, I take them to have their photographs and fingerprints taken, I translate all legal documents for official presentation to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, and I see them thorough the interview to the swearing in ceremony. I do it because my beloved adopted country can use all the good people it can get and I had nobody to help me when I went through the process myself. Many of the 100 are family and friends, and others were strangers who became friends, like the Pakistani couple whom I met in a Chicago supermarket. And they were there! 61 of the 100 - to party with me!! What joy!!!
    They flew in from California, Nevada, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts. They drove in from Georgia and all over Northern Florida.
    And one by one stood up to tell me what it meant for them to be Americans and handed me a thank you note. I also received thank you cards from those who could not be with us, 100 cards in all!!
    I was sobbing shamelessly all throughout. Just when I thought I could not take any more, I was forced to.
    The first of the 100, a cousin, came right up to me and said, 'From 100 Americans to a great American,' and shoved a velvet box in my face. I opened it to find a beautiful gold ring with three gemstones: a ruby, a diamond and a blue sapphire! Red, white and blue. Just like my heart and soul. They had all chipped in to get it for me!
    I could not breathe and thought I was going to pass out. Another cousin, a doctor, rushed to take my pulse, my mother kept fanning me with her apron, and DH kept telling me to drink water, as if swallowing was an option with a huge lump in my throat. Nobody thought of handing me tissues to wipe the snots off my face, so I had to sacrifice my mother's apron.
    The waterproof mascara held up but the entire front of my blouse was wet from tears. DH, ever the thoughtful, loving husband, added to my fond memory of the moment by loudly announcing that I looked like the big loser at a nursing home wet T-shirt contest. They all laughed and I forced myself to smile. I sure hope he ate enough there because it will be a cold day in hell before I cook again for that moron!
    Then it was time to eat. I was concerned about the Pakistanis because the only people they knew there were DH and me. But I needn't have worried. I turned to see the husband getting bongo drum lessons from one of the uncles while his wife was happily shoveling Cuban garbanzo salad into her mouth. All was well in the international arena!
    The one crazy uncle dressed up again. He has been Uncle Sam, Kate Smith and John Wayne among others. This year, he came as Miss America. He wore a 2-piece swim suit which left plenty of room for the fat rolls from his belly to jiggle freely. He had a sash made of white crepe paper and wore one of those gold cardboard crowns you see on people on New Year's Eve. He had red lipstick smeared all over the bottom of his face a la Bozo the Clown. He looked like a drag queen victim from one of those Friday the 13th movies. If he had been the real Miss America, I am sure many of us would have given up our U.S. citizenship to go back where we came from!
    I was once again elected unanimously to lead us into our traditional conga line. I said okay, but announced that, unlike last year, I was not going to stop the dancing to organize rescue efforts for any drunk who felled into the pool. Somehow, they managed to stay dry.
    Sadly, we did have a near drowning later on. My dog Max (aka Frito Bandido because he steals food) was pilfering a hot dog from the buffet table when one of the great aunts turned, was startled and shrieked in his face. The dog freaked out, turned tail, ran amok and felled right into the pool still chomping on the hot dog. He would have been just fine if we had left him alone to swim out on his own. But no!!! I screamed that my baby was drowning, the kids jumped in to save him, thereby splashing all over him and grabbing every inch of his wet fur, the parents screamed and dove in after the kids, and it took 10 times as long to fish the poor dog out. As soon as he was on firm ground, Max ran to cower under my wheelchair, and promptly puked at my feet. He now needs the services of a therapist to get over his fear of water and screaming old women. He lost his dignity and his patriotic bandanna. And he also needs a dye job. He went into the pool a lovely golden blonde and came o!
    ut platinum from all the chlorine.
    After eating, the women gathered to exchange recipes and the men gathered to plan, yet again, the liberation of Cuba. Even the Pakistani offered suggestions. This so endeared him to the crowd that he was gifted with a pair of maracas. Heads up, Chicago! On its way to you is is a bongo-playing Pakistani with maracas shouting Cuba Si, Castro No! His wife has recipes to make flan and black beans and rice. So be afraid, Chicago! Be very afraid!
    The rest is a blur of food, music, dancing, laughing, hugging and kissing.
    I told DH I was never taking the ring off. He said I had to for sleeping, or I might accidentally turn in my sleep and slash his face. I told him if that happen it would not be an accident and he could get himself a hockey goalie mask and sleep in that. He said it might freak out the dogs.
    It won't. The dogs have seen us both naked and haven't freaked out from that so they'd be fine.
    Hope you all had a glorious 4th as well!

• patti43
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are two more of her wonderful writings. She posted on several boards. Not sure where I got these, but I sure miss her. She was a jewel! If these don't make you proud to be living in the US, I guess nothing will. God bless her!

Memories of a Cuban-German-American July 4th Celebration. Written by Marlen
    Thu, Jul 5, 01
    DH and I are naturalized American citizens so this is a very meaningful day for us.
    As we have done since moving to South Florida in 9/96, we had a big family BBQ. This years was at Cousin YÂs, the family sweetie (I am using initials to protect the guilty). She has a lovely home with a back-yard pool so off we went in our red, white and blue outfits, the tri-color collars on the dogs and me wearing my Statue of Liberty pin!
    I am in charge of desserts and, of course, brought apple pie, but I also brought Cuban flan and a big Black Forest cake as the German contribution from DH. I also brought German red cabbage and lots of bratwursts (we have changed from hot dogs to brats to attain a more German culinary balance).
    Although I can walk short distances, I went in my wheelchair so people would look at me pitifully and get me food and drinks without me lifting a finger.
    Upon arrival we learned that cousin LM, the family grill man, had injured his hand playing tennis, and before I knew it DH had been elected to take his place. I know just what a big mistake that is, but I didnÂt want to argue and I figured I could load up on the salads and desserts, and I had left-over meatloaf at home.
    So fate took its course. Cousin Y has 2 birds, 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a turtle and 6 dogs, all Rottweilers. With my 4 dogs, the animal kingdom was well represented, and that doesnÂt even include the family kids.
    The celebration was taking hold as various people were using parts of the furniture as bongo drums a la Ricky Ricardo singing Babaloo, and somebody had brought maracas.
    Once we all had arrived, we proceeded to officially declare the beginning of the festivities by singing the Cuban and American National Anthems. The first year DH was asked to sing the German Anthem but he did not know it, so we decided instead to honor Germany by drinking more beer.
    This year I also recited Bonny GrannyÂs poem which elicited thunderous applause and will become part of our tradition by popular request.
    Uncle G, the family clown, always comes in costume. Last year he was Kate Smith and this year he dressed as Uncle Sam. True to character, he went around asking everybody for money. Not to be confused with Uncle P, the family loser, who needs no costume to do that.
    It was time to organize the family conga line and I was chosen unanimously to be the lead. This is a great honor, but I know they were just doing it so I would not run anybody down with the wheelchair. Even DH joined in with his apron and chefÂs hat, although he is to dancing what I am to intergalactic travel. He looked like a German marching band member. Nephew L, the family idiot, kept doing steps like NÂ Sync but his father bopped him in the head and he became a Cuban conga dancer real fast.
    South Florida is in the middle of the worst drought ever, so naturally it started raining and thundering. Fortunately, the back porch is covered and we bunched ourselves under its roof. Thankfully, we all wear deodorant, although nothing could be done about the wet dog smell.
    Then it was time to eat, and DH threw open the grill lid with a great shout of "Baaaaam" a la Emeril Lagasse. We all stared at the quarter pounders and brats, which now looked like black meatballs and Little Smokies. Everyone rushed to line up by the Cuban roasted pork as I rushed to DH with a platter so he could plate his burnt offerings. I figured I could get rid of it all when he went inside to tinkle - after all we had more than 10 animals on the premises, not counting the kids.
    After eating, the sun came out again and the kids dove into the pool along with assorted dogs, and Cousin H in her tiny bikini, her being the family slut (oh, stop it, you all got one too!). As the women sat and gossiped, the men gathered yet again to plan the liberation of Cuba.
    Thus, my 40+ years in exile. Judging from all the beer they drank, the best they can do is piss on Castro. Nephew C, the family juvenile delinquent, jumped out of the pool and shouted, "LetÂs roll Aunt Marlen into the pool!" and headed towards me. Such a fun kid! I laughed uproariously and in my mirth, I accidentally ran over his foot with my wheelchair so his mother rushed him inside for medical attention.
    The party wound down and there were lots of goodbye hugs and kisses. Some-body tell Ricky Martin IÂm the one "Living La Vida Loca."

A Fourth of July greeting from your resident Cuban Posted by Marlen on Thu, Jul 4, 02
    My fellow Americans: My husband Karl and I are naturalized American citizens. He emigrated to the U.S. from Germany at the age of 8, as I did from Cuba at the age of 11. Independence Day has always had a special meaning for us both, even before we met.
    If you were born in the U.S., you are blessed with a citizenship which is sought by millions of people the world over, and one of them was me.
    When I knocked on the doors of this great country as a shoeless child refugee seeking freedom on 11/11/1961, you opened your arms to me and let me in. You gave me a shot at the American Dream, which I have achieved through hard work, honest sweat and a firm belief in the American Way.
    And on 11/9/1971, two days shy of 10 years after I arrived, you bestowed upon me a very great privilege by granting me American citizenship in what I believe is the greatest and most generous country on earth.
    And I swear I have lived my life discharging every single one of my civic duties and responsibilities as an American to make sure I am always worthy of the great honor you have granted me.
    And I have also kept close to my ethnic roots while learning about others' ethnic roots, because I don't believe we are a "Melting Pot." I am part of a big American mosaic: each little piece beautiful in its own right, joining with others closely to form a wonderful and unique work of art.
    And so later on today, as usual, I will let my four male dogs out in the backyard to take care of business, except today they will be wearing red, white and blue bandannas. And as they have done every day since shortly after 9/11/01, they will lift their rear legs and take a leak over a photo of Osama bin Laden which we have tacked on their favorite tree at the appropriate level.
    And as usual, we will attend our family's Cuban-German-American Fourth of July celebration along with the 47 members of our family and friends who are expected to attend. Except this year, Karl and I are bringing a very special honored guest: our dear widowed neighbor Sarge, a WW II decorated veteran of Polish decent who is bringing pierogies to add to the buffet table which shall include hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwursts, German beer, Ginger's lemonade, black beans and rice, Cuban roasted pork, Amish cole slaw, German potato salad, flan, carved watermelons and 9 homemade apple pies made by me.
    And I shall wear my red, white and blue pantsuit, and over my heart I shall wear the lovely patriotic pin with which Flamingo gifted me, and which has been part of my outfit almost daily since I received it.
    And the fiesta will begin as we all stand and face a very special U.S. flag given to me by President Ronald Reagan, and we shall sing the National Anthem with various accents, but also loud enough for both bin Laden and Castro to hear it. And we shall remain standing and place our hands over our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and sincerely mean every word of it.
    And we shall observe a minute of silence in remembrance of all the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice so that freedom may ring throughout this great land, today and always.
    And I am going to hug and thank every veteran I run across including Sarge and my own husband. And we shall ask Sarge to lead our traditional conga line around the pool. And we shall listen to Ray Charles' America the Beautiful and Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA.
    And one of the crazy uncles, who always shows up in costume, will probably get a skin rash from all the green paint on his person as part of his Statue of Liberty outfit. And I know the kids will run around pulling on his toga which is actually an old green bed sheet. And he could not come up with a crown so I gave him an old green Happy St. Patrick's Day hat to wear which will probably slide off his old Cuban green-painted bald head. And for a torch he'll shine a green flashlight on everybody's face while screaming "Give me liberty or give me death" and we shall all try to kill him.
    And I'll join others in complaining about taxation, crooked politicians, the weather and the high cost of gasoline and health care. And we'll come up with magnificent ways to liberate Cuba and get Osama. And the babies will need their diapers changed and so will the two old great-great aunts.
    And I am going to wave the flag until my arms fall off. And I wish for each of you what I shall enjoy today: a day filled with American patriotism and pride, family, friends, food, fun and fireworks. And I thank you, my fellow Americans, for allowing me to be here to be part of it all. God bless America. And may God bless all Americans, like you and me.

A Fourth of July greeting from your resident Cuban Posted by Marlen on Thu, Jul 4, 02
    My fellow Americans: My husband Karl and I are naturalized American citizens. He emigrated to the U.S. from Germany at the age of 8, as I did from Cuba at the age of 11. Independence Day has always had a special meaning for us both, even before we met.
    If you were born in the U.S., you are blessed with a citizenship which is sought by millions of people the world over, and one of them was me.
    When I knocked on the doors of this great country as a shoeless child refugee seeking freedom on 11/11/1961, you opened your arms to me and let me in. You gave me a shot at the American Dream, which I have achieved through hard work, honest sweat and a firm belief in the American Way.
    And on 11/9/1971, two days shy of 10 years after I arrived, you bestowed upon me a very great privilege by granting me American citizenship in what I believe is the greatest and most generous country on earth.
    And I swear I have lived my life discharging every single one of my civic duties and responsibilities as an American to make sure I am always worthy of the great honor you have granted me.
    And I have also kept close to my ethnic roots while learning about others' ethnic roots, because I don't believe we are a "Melting Pot." I am part of a big American mosaic: each little piece beautiful in its own right, joining with others closely to form a wonderful and unique work of art.
    And so later on today, as usual, I will let my four male dogs out in the backyard to take care of business, except today they will be wearing red, white and blue bandannas. And as they have done every day since shortly after 9/11/01, they will lift their rear legs and take a leak over a photo of Osama bin Laden which we have tacked on their favorite tree at the appropriate level.
    And as usual, we will attend our family's Cuban-German-American Fourth of July celebration along with the 47 members of our family and friends who are expected to attend. Except this year, Karl and I are bringing a very special honored guest: our dear widowed neighbor Sarge, a WW II decorated veteran of Polish decent who is bringing pierogies to add to the buffet table which shall include hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwursts, German beer, Ginger's lemonade, black beans and rice, Cuban roasted pork, Amish cole slaw, German potato salad, flan, carved watermelons and 9 homemade apple pies made by me.
    And I shall wear my red, white and blue pantsuit, and over my heart I shall wear the lovely patriotic pin with which Flamingo gifted me, and which has been part of my outfit almost daily since I received it.
    And the fiesta will begin as we all stand and face a very special U.S. flag given to me by President Ronald Reagan, and we shall sing the National Anthem with various accents, but also loud enough for both bin Laden and Castro to hear it. And we shall remain standing and place our hands over our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and sincerely mean every word of it.
    And we shall observe a minute of silence in remembrance of all the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice so that freedom may ring throughout this great land, today and always.
    And I am going to hug and thank every veteran I run across including Sarge and my own husband. And we shall ask Sarge to lead our traditional conga line around the pool. And we shall listen to Ray Charles' America the Beautiful and Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA.
    And one of the crazy uncles, who always shows up in costume, will probably get a skin rash from all the green paint on his person as part of his Statue of Liberty outfit. And I know the kids will run around pulling on his toga which is actually an old green bed sheet. And he could not come up with a crown so I gave him an old green Happy St. Patrick's Day hat to wear which will probably slide off his old Cuban green-painted bald head. And for a torch he'll shine a green flashlight on everybody's face while screaming "Give me liberty or give me death" and we shall all try to kill him.
    And I'll join others in complaining about taxation, crooked politicians, the weather and the high cost of gasoline and health care. And we'll come up with magnificent ways to liberate Cuba and get Osama. And the babies will need their diapers changed and so will the two old great-great aunts.
    And I am going to wave the flag until my arms fall off. And I wish for each of you what I shall enjoy today: a day filled with American patriotism and pride, family, friends, food, fun and fireworks. And I thank you, my fellow Americans, for allowing me to be here to be part of it all. God bless America. And may God bless all Americans, like you and me.

A Fourth of July Greeting from Your Resident Cuban
    Posted by Marlen on Fri, Jul 4, 03
    Today we Americans celebrate my favorite holiday. Both DH and I are naturalized American citizens so this day is very special to us. He emigrated here from Germany and I from Cuba. On 11/11/61, when I was the age of 11, the people of this great country opened their arms and hearts and took me in. I didn't ask for a handout and never got one, but I was taught that through hard, honest work I, too, could achieve the American Dream. And I learned, and I worked and I have. I wave Old Glory and hum God Bless America every day. So July 4th is the only day of the year I can actually appear normal.
    I'll be heading later to my family's annual July 4th celebration, wearing a brand new red, white and blue outfit and wearing the lovely pin of the U.S. with which FlamingO gifted me, and which I wear almost every day. Even the dogs will be wearing new patriotic bandannas. And we will sing the National Anthem and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, in various accents but meaning every word.

And we will pray for those members of our family who are serving our beloved country in the military, and all the brave men and women who serve alongside them. Because we came here seeking freedom, and we know only too well that freedom isn't free. Special hugs and a big kiss to rabbit's son, Jerm. who is a proud Marine. Semper fi, my dear!
    And we will hold a minute of silence to pray for all the heroes and heroines who paid the ultimate sacrifice to preserve that freedom.

And I am going to hug every veteran I run into, especially my own husband. To all the veterans and their families here at the KT, special hugs to you all. Know I will forever be grateful to you and in your debt.

And I am going to overeat, have fun, bask in patriotism and be surrounded by the love of family and friends.

And while I respect the patriotism of all my friends in foreign countries, I know only too well that American citizenship is sought after by many millions all over the world. And I am very lucky to have it and I can't help but be proud of it.

I was granted that privilege on 11/71, almost 10 years to the date of my arrival, and I am very grateful for it. I have tried to live every day since so that nobody ever regrets having bestowed such an honor upon me.

So thank you, my fellow Americans, for letting me in.
    I wish you all the best Fourth of July ever!
    God Bless America.
    And may God also bless you, my dear fellow Americans.