SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony10_gw

Rooting experiment..egg vs. heat, sun, etc

Tony10
11 years ago

For the newbies that are having difficulties rooting your plumies, I thought I would do an experiment and keep you posted of my results.

I planted one cutting with an egg underneath on July 26th. The cutting was not given any water at the time of planting...just the moisture that came from the bag of soil and whatever moisture the egg would provide. It is left outside 24/7 in an East facing position and gets full sun until about 2 p.m.

The second cutting was planted on July 27 with no egg and also no water and the time of planting, but the end was briefly dipped into hot water and also rootone. This cutting was given full sun all day (I would move it around to get the most sun). It also gets brought into my hot garage before the temps drop and is set on a heat mat with a compact flourescent overhead until about midnight.

Cutting one had shown absolutely no activity until I watered it last night and today the tip looked more "alive".

Cutting two had almost immediately shown tip activity and had been watered with a cup of water twice. It already has a leaf that is 1 1/2 inches long though still unopened..along with the start of additional leaves.

The point is, I believe HEAT and light are your best friends for the fastest rooting. I also believe that there should be at least some moisture in the medium to at least start them off since they both seemed to react when the medium had been moistened.

I will keep you updated on their progress..

Tony

Comments (63)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012