SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roflol

Replacing picture windows with door - suggestions please?

roflol
15 years ago

Hi! We are replacing our west-facing deck with a sunroom (unheated/cooled so will be more like a 2-3 season I guess, still more than is used now).

These picture windows are original, and drafty, and serve only to let light into the living room. They are never opened. We had replaced nearly all of our other home's windows a couple of years ago with white vinyl, but these we left alone as we had planned the deck re-do and a change-out of the windows anyway.

The living room is 20 feet long (x 14 wide I think); ceiling is vaulted. There is a standard door on the same wall; this door will remain functional as the sunroom will have an open section of deck off that end for the grill.

The windows total 80 inches in width - too big an opening for standard 6 foot slider door without a lot of patching and matching (interior walls are textured, exterior board and batten).

We have four kids so usable floor space is at a premium... I was really hoping for a sliding patio door to minimize floor space loss versus French doors. Would an 8 foot door be too big, though? I've been told a new header will need to be installed. I think I can handle all that openness/view (trees, overlooking back yard), but is it safe do you suppose?

Also wondering if door brand will make any difference, since it will be essentially an "indoor" door - not being exposed to rain (at least it had better not be!).

Thumbnails of pictures below (please click to enlarge, sorry for the clutter/blurriness/lighting). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (8)