SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austinbirdman_gw

How to Frame on Sloping Slab

austinbirdman
17 years ago

I would appreciate advice on a bit of framing I have to do over a slab that is presently sloped. Here's the deal.

We are in the midst of completing a 2-story, 1000 s.f. addition to our house in Austin, Texas, which we bought 18 months ago. The addition has a pier-on-footing foundation which is connected with bolts to the slab foundation of the house. Both the slab of the main house and the new piers-on-footing foundation are in great shape, well connected, and level. You can see photos of the addition with more explanation here:

http://www.johnhorse.com/ftp/addition.htm

Here's the problem: Next to the new addition is a 10'x12' office that sits on its own little slab, and this slab slopes gently away from the main house. The slope is especially noticeable now that the office butts up against the addition.

Now, what we want to do is demo the office and reframe it to 18' high, same as the addition, making an open 10'x12'x18' high space for a stairwell up to the 2nd story of the addition.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to deal, economically but sensibly, with the little sloping slab under the 10x12 office. Mudjack it? Coat it with a self-leveling top coat? Leave it and just adjust with the frames?

The total slope of the little slab is about 1 1/4" over a 10' run.

P.S. I'd also like to know what would be BAD ideas, since those are the ones I'm likely to gravitate to by nature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of My Addition

Comments (4)