SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

respond to offer by 6;00 pm tonight, advice please?

marys1000
16 years ago

2 yr old house plus 9 acres, on market in semi-rural Nebraska

Has been on market 90 days

Not sure what the new "normal DOM" is but its about or plus that in Omaha

but I'm in a small town south of there so its probably a fair bit longer.

Some showings, people at open houses (15? 20? total ) with some interest

but while the place is new and shows well (other realtors have told my realtor they thought the price was about right) it has some things we can't get past -

Comments: #1 its too small at 1450 athough it has a full walkout that will be easy and nice to finish, #2 it has no mature trees (built in a soybean field) and other #2 its on a curve which bothers some people

Recent similar property to sell was quite a bit further away, not really Omaha market at that distance that was a foreclosure but showed pretty well according to my realtor's realtor friend who had showed it. Was a larger ranch (1650?) with outbuildings, 10 acres but older and it sold for 280.

FIrst offer just came in from someone who came to an open house about 2 months ago. She must have looked around for awhile before coming back

My initial price was 296 (its on 9 acres)

After 30 days dropped to 289

They offered 250,000

contingent on

Home Inspection,

Radon Inspection

property survey that must come in plus or minus 2% to my survey which shows 9.1. acre (previous was 8.9 I think, not sure what that comes out to in percentage deviation).

Home Warranty (about 450)

Access to the home for remodeling - apparently the buyer is looking for a ranch because a family member had an accident of some sort and they want acreage to set up for horses for the kids.

Appraisal - it appraising to something

Apparently the buyer has an appraiser (friend?) and a realtor but the realtor is just doing the paperwork and the advice is coming from the appraiser. They did put down earnest money of 2,000

My realtor says no one ever passes Radon in Nebraska and mitigation will be plus or minus around 1,000

I did Geothermal Heating and Cooling, which is great.

upgraded light fixtures but not granite or whirlpool tubs because that wasn't important to me, knockdown on the ceiling, 2 bathrooms but their small but one has a walk in tile shower cuz thats what I wanted, low-e windows etc.

I probably paid too much for the land.

So my problem is I built the house for me thinking I'd be there 10 years and I'm losing money at the high end of what I could reasonably think of getting in a good market.

I'm not insulted by the low ball but am having troubling deciding to wait it out, rent or lose money at age 50 when I'm scrambling for retirement. If I was 30 maybe I'd be a little less paniced about losing money.

My mortgage payment is somewhat low because I put all my cash into the house. I can continue to pay mortgage and rent for awhile.

But at 850.00 a month plus utilities, say another 5 months on the market that's equivalent to another 5,000 price drop or 5,000 less on an offer.

Not sure what the rental thing is like, I think that market is generally good but you don't know what your getting in tenants. I'm willing to consider it if this doesn't work out.

Now I don't feel insulted by the offer but its really too low for me to consider. Not sure where my cut off is except a lot closer to where my price is right now.

I am a little freaked out by the appraiser thing. This is a small town, there are only 2 appraisers I think. One of them knows all about my business through a former mutal friend but he's not my friend, as a matter of fact I don't care for him to much and think he's a bit sleazy. So if he's the one advising her, and turns out to be the one that the bank contracts with - he could throw a wrench into things. A lot of ifs but its got my antannae out and without knowing if its this guy or not its affecting my ability to negotiate because I'm suspicious about his low-balling the process.

Advice?

Thanks,

Mary

My house with the terrible front of house picture I can't get my realtor to fix is 16608 18th st.

mls 20710050

and I just extended with her for 30 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: House search for comparables

Comments (29)