SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Time to rent the house out?

jenswrens
15 years ago

So, house has been ~65 DOM with 45 showings and no offers. We've dropped the price once, a week and a half ago. We're not living there, have two other houses that I'm paying for, all my stuff is spread between the 3 places in 3 different states, and I'm getting fed up with the complicated lifestyle. I'm losing money every day.

At this point, with the market like it is and since we haven't had a single offer, I don't anticipate the house in MN selling at all. The REA doesn't go over and ready the house for showings like she promised she'd do (raise the blinds, water the plants, etc), so I'm sure it doesn't show as well as it could if I were living there. Once the snow comes, it'll really be hard to try to sell with no one there to shovel, etc. I'm just ready to get my furniture out and get on with my life.

So, I think it's time to put the house up for rent. What is the best way to go about doing that? I could advertise on craigslist and at the many colleges that are around the house. I think even going through a corporate rental place would be an option. But who would show the house to renters? Should I include the current REA in the renting thing? I honestly don't think she'd be much help, based on what she's doing (or not) to sell the house. But I do think that perhaps people who've already looked at the house might be amenable to renting, if not buying.

Thoughts? Other avenues to pursue that I haven't thought of? I'd like to hear experiences from others who have done this. Thanks.

Comments (13)