SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexia10_gw

remodeling nightmare

alexia10
14 years ago

I need some mental support please!

We used to own a 1940 colonial which little by little we ended doing everything. New heating system, update most of the electricity, gutting bathrooms, exterior work etc etc. Pretty much everything went smoothly and we managed great but the house was small for us.

So when a big and fabulous turn of the century colonial went on the market we decided to plunge and buy it. We knew pretty much everything needed to be redone we budgeted and thought we could do it. As if....

Everyday is horrible and one surprise after the other and nothing is going smoothly. Here is a count of the nightmare:

1. Needed a new roof because of leaks. It is cold so the new shingles do not necessary stick. Every time is windy some fly away. Roofer has to come back regularly. Still got water one day. But what can I do? Can not wait until summer due to water coming in the house.

2. Brand new heating system installed. Went away for a weekend. System went on default for unknown reason, house froze, 3 pipes broke, major water damage. Fight with insurance.

3. Electrical rewiring: We were told about one month. One month passed and only 1/3 is done. Is it ever going to end?

4. Found out that 3 radiators were leaky and needed to be replaced. Found out that supplier would not deliver them and also plumber could not pick them up due to weight. Had to hire special company to deliver and that cost way more than budgeted. Besides what a nightmare to go find old radiators that match the house.

I am in despair. I have regrets.The other day I called a new real estate guy to get opinion and he thinks it is worth the trouble because of location and history of the house and suggested to keep going. That was reassuring and good news. If I can make it to summer I think I ll manage but it is still January....Please send some words of support.

Comments (10)