SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gertie2u2

Remodeling Nightmare is this normal?

gertie2u2
16 years ago

We made the decision to spend about twenty grand on some pretty major remodeling projects to our 1916 home about four months ago. We started calling contractors. I work days, husband worked nights, so I ended up doing the calling. Over the course of several weeks we called 25 contractors, the names having been obtained from friends, ads, and the phonebook. All said sure, we will be by. I said great, call me at this number, I can be at the house in under five minutes as I work five blocks away. If you can come by Thursday or Friday, you don't even need to call as my husband will be there awake. Finally two showed up. None ever called me. One wanted an astronomical sum to do the work. Having totally gutted and redone five rooms of the house ourselves, including bathroom and completely rewiring the entire house with the exception of the line from the pole to the head, we know a little bit about remodeling, we thought we had a pretty reasonable handle on what the charge ought to be. The second came in only a little higher than expected, prices have been going up, and so we decided that was acceptable.

The guys act like they've never seen a contract. I've seen samples of their work and been assured whatever they say they will do, they're great, so I went with minimal and wrote a letter detailing the scope of the work, payment terms, requirements they provide their own insurance, etc, and mailed it with detailed architectural drawings, and asked them to sign one copy and forward it back to me. I spent a few years as a legal secretary, and it seemed sufficient to me and to the lawyer I used to work for, who looked it over for me. I finally called them and was told oh yes, we planned to call you today, there is one small change and then we will sign it. Riight. Then the guy said he'd come by with the letter, was I at the house or my office? This was at 9:30 am and at 4:45 as I was about to leave work, I called hubby to say once again they'd failed to take care of business. (It took several calls to get the original estimate, and they were always planning to call me that day)

Now it's the first day they were supposed to be here, and hm. 8:46 and no one around. Seeing as it is summer in Texas, and judging by the roofers and construction workers I normally see already hard at it by 8 in the area, this seems odd.

Mind you, this is not our first experience of just this. Had the same round of bruhaha when we hired a plumber to add on to the gas line we had installed for the water heater so that we could have a gas fireplace in living area. Though that might be because we put in the line to start, but then we had central heat and air put in, and they did ALL the work, and we got the same deal. Most of the A/C contractors insisted the ducts needed to go under the house to floor grates. I had those in a trailer years ago and don't want them again. We have 12 foot ceilings and wanted furdowns downstairs with the ductwork. We even framed the furdowns as they seemed to have great difficulty wrapping their minds around this, I can't imagine why.

Is this normal? Is there just so much work no one has to show up?

Comments (10)