SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gneegirl

teen driving on cbs - local dc area

gneegirl
16 years ago

It is a beautiful Sunday evening here (all weekend actually), so I'm kinda hesitant to bring up this subject. However I think it's pretty important - teen driving.

It's prom and graduation time and I think they are doing this TV Special to provide awareness to teens and parents of the dangers of not driving responsibly. This subject is pretty close to my heart as my 18yr only lived 4-days after an accident in which she was a passenger. She passed six days before HS graduation (but I was at the graduation!!) Funny thing, alcohol was not involved,which is where most of the emphasis is placed. It's kind of hard to stand on a soapbox and urge caution when driving when the more notable conditions, speed and alcohol weren't involved. But, no matter the cause, I think caution and knowledge is always essential when behind the wheel.

One of the stations' reporters was involved years ago in an accident as a teen in which 2 close frinds didn't pull through, and she and her twin sister were very seriously injured. It's pretty tough to hear them still so emotionally drained, even after all of this time.

I'm not bringing up this subject because of my situation because I'm living through it pretty well actually. I miss her and wonder every day what she would be doing now. That being said, my main reason for bringing this up is because I know many of you are going through prom and graduation, and have new drivers in your families. Accidents happen but the statistics are alarming for teens. Also PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT!!! Even though we had just had a conversation about seatbelts, and she assured me she always wore hers, my DD wasn't wearing one at the time they hit that tree, and the tree didn't move. The Drs said that her injury from from blunt force trauma typical of passengers that don't wear seatbelts. If she had been wearing one, she wouldn't have been pushed into the dashboard and hitting her chest area, thereby rupturing her aorta.

So, not to cast such gloom on everyone, I am just passing along info about the show. I understand that the station is making copies available for schools, churches, etc. It's channel 7 her in my area, but it's an ABC news program, in case anyone is interested.

Happy and safe driving all!!

gneegirl

Comments (14)