SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

Local police response time for your area?

16 years ago

I'm just curious, after reading the gun thread again, if you were to call the police because you felt you might be in danger, about how long do you think it would take for the police to show up at your door?

In our case, we live about 11 miles from the nearest town, but because we live in the country, we are covered by the Sheriff's office. That's about 20 twisty and hilly miles away, country roads. Unless a deputy was nearby for some other reason, we could figure it would take about 30 minutes for a car to get here, maybe a little less if he/she is hauling butt. That's one reason we are so well armed in this house, as are all of neighbors (that we know of, anyway.) I used to be home alone almost all the time and the sound of a car coming down our looooong, narrow wooded driveway was very rare and rather startling to me AND the big-mouth dogs. So when I would hear a car coming, I would plan for the worst case scenario. Usually it was some die-hard salesman (either of food, product or religion) but once it was 2 guys with a wrecker and they tried to hook up Woody's pickup truck and tow it away. Fortunately, he was home and stopped them. The mere sight of him with his hand behind his back was enough to scare them off. Yes, he was holding a weapon but didn't have to use it.

"No Trespassing" signs and "Beware of the dog" and "Keep Out" signs don't seem to work too well around here, lookie-lou's continue to come down the drive (which is a good 1/3 of a mile long) to "see what's back here." Sheesh. Some of them just stay in their cars and honk the horn to get our attention. Sometimes I feel like a car hop at the drive-in. lol Usually, though, if I'm home alone, I stand up a floor from the drive and ask them what they want, I don't get close to them. And no one ever seems to make it all the way to the door before they are noticed. What I really hate is when I'm outside already and they drive up unexpectedly, that's when I feel really vulnerable. I don't mind so much when Woody's home, but if I'm here alone I can get a bit spooked if I don't recognize the vehicle. We just don't get much drop-in company out here in the woods.

So, this is really a 2-part post. What's your local police response time and does that figure into your beliefs about self-protection?

Comments (23)