SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

The police were here again ... for the 2nd time !!

phyl345
13 years ago

Our flowering crab tree (very healthy) overhangs our neighbor's roof, and she doesn't like the leaves that collect in her gutters ... She moved here three years ago from Taiwan and has complained about the leaves since day one ... maybe they don't have trees in Taiwan !!

She speaks English pretty well, but I still have a hard time understanding her .. She says: "Your tree . your responsibility .. you pay to cut .." The police today said she has gotten three quotes .. $250 to $400 ..

There are NO branches that even come in contact with her roof! She obviously doesn't like to clean her gutters. We called our village hall to find out what kind of *rules* pertain to issues like this, but because of financial difficulties, there have been many layoffs and they are pitifully understaffed & don't even return our calls.

Do you think she is being reasonable? Does anybody have any suggestions on how we should handle this? Thanks in advance ..........

oh, & one more thing, she had an elderly gentleman at her side who was a real curmudgeon of the finest order! .. His eyeballs were nearly popping out of his head when he threatened us with TWO lawyers & "YOU WILL PAY!" Yikes, I hope I can sleep tonight .......

Comments (39)

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can't say about your laws, but where I live, if it's on YOUR side of the fence, even if it's a neighbors tree, you can trim it, at your own expense, provided you don't damage the tree.

Our next door neighbor has a maple that extends so far over into our yard, we don't need an umbrella on our deck for shade. It rubs on the roof of DH's shop. Only problem is that if we cut off the parts that hang on our side, it'd make his tree all stubby and ugly facing our side. So I told DH to only cut the parts on the roof and we'll just suck it up and rake the leaves each fall.

You can try to research the laws on the net, or try your local library or law library. The clerks at the law library might be able to help you. Google ordinance for your town government, might need to be higher than your village, maybe township? (I confess, I don't know how the hierarchy works for villages...we have city, county then State.)

She's probably not being unreasonable, but it's more likely that she doesn't know the civil law...I can't understand why the police are involved, this is a civil matter. I'd explain to her that you're checking into who's responsible and you'll get back with her soon. I'm afraid you probably won't win her over, tho...but I suspect you're not going to be responsible unless it's a nuisance, in other words, going to fall on her house or some such. Dropped leaves...can't see how you'd be liable for that!

• trailrunner
    13 years ago

would be WAY cheaper to have your DH install a run of gutter guard on that side of her house...you can get it at Lowes. I personally would not want to have to deal with gutter cleaning , it is a nuisance and a danger to climb ladders etc for lots of folks. Get the GG it is cheap and works wonderfully. Problem solved. c

• Related Discussions

Frost for 2nd time on my grape vine

Q

Comments (1)
    Each "bud" actually contains 3 buds, primary, secondary, and tertiary. So it is likely you will get new growth again from the same buds, but the tertiary buds are the least fruitful (primary are most fruitful). If you get another frost that kills the tertiary buds you are not likely to get any fruit, but the vine will push dormant buds in other places and so you can get fruit next year, unless they get frosted again next year. Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Buds
    ...See More

Eggs of BB Nest Destroyed 2nd Time

Q

Comments (12)
    Sounds like you really have some challenges. You have my sympathies! A tiny poked hole is more likely a house wren's thin sharp beak, sometimes taking them some distance away, or simply tossing them out. The house sparrow will toss the eggs out, but their finch-like beak would not as likely make a tiny poke hole. And the HOSP is more likely to stick around, harass, or even take over the cavity. "Do BB's destroy their own eggs" ... No "the nest possibly could have been flooded?" ... are there leaks that could be fixed? "Are the HOSP really sneaky" ... yes, but HOWR are sneakier ... "and resistant to the Sparrow Spooker?" ... yes, and house wrens will not be deterred by a sparrow spooker. House Wrens are even sneakier, faster and silent, leaving no evidence behind, only destroying eggs or young. You might hear them singing, but might never, ever see them! There are some links to sound files of house wren song and chatter on Bet's web pages, so you can learn to hear the unwelcome sounds of house wrens. Visit Bet's web page for more info. And by the way, the Carolina Wren is a very different bird, welcome almost anywhere; not a threat to other birds. BlueBars Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sialis.org/index.html
    ...See More

2nd guessing myself, yet again.

Q

Comments (21)
    They will be white. Haven't decided on the shade yet. Alabaster, Pure White, Dover White, and Extra White are top contenders but the painters haven't done the samples on boards yet to see how they look with the lighting in the room. It's called Ashen White granite. It's not my fav, but it's white which is what I wanted and it's within our budget. This is the backsplash we are doing for our little bar area that is in the family room, right around the corner from the kitchen. I really love the look of it. But, if you look at my kitchen layout, the only places we will actually have backsplash is around the sink. On that side you have the fridge and double oven with microwave stacked on top of the ovens. Then the dishwasher, sink, and other side of sink which will all have backsplash. On the other side is the pantry, broom storage, and appliance garage. Don't think tile would be needed in the appliance garage since it will have doors that conceal everything. Duh, why am I just having this revelation now? Oh, because I haven't built a house before. HA! Do you think I could get away with the blue-gray tile from the bar area in the kitchen too? It wouldn't be a whole lot. This post was edited by aimless07 on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 18:34
    ...See More

Failed Paint colors for the 2nd time... Need help!

Q

Comments (11)
    Rugged Suede is the color on the peaked wall that divides the rooms? That's a very warm grey or a beige with grey and you are trying to pair it with cool greys -- onces with more blue. The warm undertones and cool undertones are going to accentuate each other when you put the two together. I'm not sure I understand what look you are after -- lighter/darker contrast or beiger/greyer contrast. If you are happy with the Rugged Suede, have you considered just using that color at a ligher value? You can have the paint mixed at a percentage of the formula for a gallon of Rugged Suede. If you try to mix it yourself with white, you could have trouble matching the color if you need more. Lowe's here has Sherwin WIlliams colors -- if you want a different color rather than a lighter shade of the same color, try looking at something like Requisite Gray or Wordly Gray. On my monitor, they look good with the Rugged Suede photo. If they aren't right, maybe they will give you an idea of the direction to look. You could also look at Anew Gray and Mega Greige -- Agreeable Grey if you want something lighter. If that doesn't help, give us a better idea of the look you are after. Grey means different things to different people and in different contexts.
    ...See More
  • moonshadow
    13 years ago

I'd urge you to go into your village hall and pick up a copy of town codes relating to this. (They should give it to you at N/C, I often have to get a copy of specific code for rental property). Most municipalities have a Code Enforcer. But even if cut backs have temporarily closed that position someone has the Codes in their possession, its essentially laws on the town's books. Based on my experience with properties every town is different, so you need to know your local ordinance as your starting point.

Maybe she doesn't know any better or understand, but when people call the police department for trite stuff like this it just boggles my mind.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

What did the police say? Just because they told you the quotes doesn't mean it's your responsibility.

In most cases if a tree hangs over the property line you can trim what's on your side - just as pesky said. If she wants she can trim the branches away from her roof.

I wouldn't install anything on her roof. We had to remove our gutter guard because pine needles clogged it. If you install something and for some reason her gutters back up you don't want to be held responsible. I might consider trimming the tree myself just so she doesn't have someone butcher it.

I second the advice to go to town hall.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

trailrunner: "would be WAY cheaper to have your DH install a run of gutter guard on that side of her houuse"

Not where I live, either that or you and I have a very different opinion of what's cheap. It cost me a small fortune to Gutter Helmet my home. May be that we did the process when the systems first came out?

I don't think you are responsible for putting gutters on her house/shed, or anything for that matter. I would imagine that if your tree is hanging over onto her property, she has a right to remove the part that is on her side.

Is your village run by an HOA, are you under the township code? I am a bit confused as to the configuration of your properties'. Is this situation taking place in a 55+ community? Some of these "villages" have their own codes, etc. you need to follow as opposed to the township code. I would try to get as informed as possible as to who has what right.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Maybe your village has an ordinance regarding trees, but more likely there is state law that covers matters like this.

What state do you live in? Knowing that, with a little googling, someone here can probably come up with a website with the applicable law. Don't count on the police to know civil law.

Once you know where you stand legally and assuming you have no responsibility for what the tree does on her side of the yard, you might want to write her a short letter in plain, simple English that explains the law. It would be better to have a lawyer do it, but that would cost some money.

If you don't want her cutting at the tree (which she may have a right to do), offering some form of gutter cover isn't a bad idea if you can afford it. Or offer to clean her gutters. There are ways to handle relations with neighbors that are outside what is legally required.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

She probably knows she could have the branch cut at her expense but is trying to bully you into paying for it. Check out the laws and let us know the outcome.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

If it was me in your situation, I'd cut the limbs back and be done with it and get her off your back.

If you live where there's snow and ice, having limbs above her roof could do damage and then you're in a real pickle. lol.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh, I love crab apples! Prettiest trees in my yard.

How many branches overhang her roof? In Virginia, the law was changed several years ago to say that the tree owner is responsible for any fallen limbs or trees that damage a neighbor's property (used to be that if someone's tree fell in your yard or on your house, you would have to pay for damage to your property and to remove). It does not seem that your situation involves any damage-really, leaves??? I know we pay less than $100 to have our gutters cleaned now that I won't let DH climb up there anymore. Maybe you could just tell her you will pay or split the cost to have her impacted gutter cleaned after the leaves are down in the fall or you could always tell them to go ahead and sue. In that case, I would definitely start a paper trail detailing the issue with pictures and send them a copy. They won't be able to prove any damage and the case would probably be viewed as a nuisance by the court. They sound like charming neighbors-so sorry you are having to deal with this.

• natal
    13 years ago

We have a live oak with branches that hang over the neighbor's property. Every few years when we get the tree pruned we make sure to cut back any branches that might present a problem for the neighbor.

As far as leaves in gutters ... the other neighbor's pecan trees make a mess in our yard and conductor head. That's just Mother Nature.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

"If it was me in your situation, I'd cut the limbs back and be done with it and get her off your back."

How true. I agree with oakleyok's sentiment. It would be worth it just to have her go away. Given that, it would also foster a better relationship with your neighbor because in reality, if the limbs are hanging over her property she has a right to cut them back, if desired. I don't think she's handling the situation as well as she could, but it might be the language barrier that's impeding and frustrating her.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Our flowering crab tree (very healthy) overhangs our neighbor's roof, and she doesn't like the leaves that collect in her gutters ... She moved here three years ago from Taiwan and has complained about the leaves since day one ... maybe they don't have trees in Taiwan !!

She speaks English pretty well, but I still have a hard time understanding her .. She says: "Your tree . your responsibility .. you pay to cut .." The police today said she has gotten three quotes .. $250 to $400 ..

There are NO branches that even come in contact with her roof! She obviously doesn't like to clean her gutters.

You said your tree over-hangs her roof - but you say no branches come in contact with her roof.

I can tell you that while I love trees, some trees are worst then others & it's after having a neighbor with a flowering tree that also had fruit, that I will not plant anything like that unless the whole tree is on my property.

I agree, trim what hangs into her yard & be done with it. You will need her permission to cut what hangs over if they need to access her yard

• teacats
    13 years ago

Another vote here to trim whatever part of the tree hangs in her yard -- and don't forget to take many Before, During and After photos for your files (in case of future disputes or problems)

And yes -- you may have to clean out her gutters. (take photos here too)

• phyl345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: Just talked to our State Farm agent .. if a tree damages neighbor's property, THEIR homeowner's policy pays .. must admit, I would never have thought that .. agent said tree damage is considered *an act of God* hmmmm .. who knew ..

Pesky .. exactly! If she cuts the branch down (4" caliper) at the lot line, not only will it be unbelievably ugly, a *stub-cut* like that can cause serious health issues to a tree .. she had her son do exactly that to our Elm the first summer she moved in .. we were really furious; but never said anything cuz all the Elms in the area are being lost anyway ..

Trailrunner: I agree that cleaning a gutter is a pain in the butt .. HOWEVER .. our gutters are overflowing with leaves from her enormous Maple .. it doesn't overhang our roof, but with the fall winds, our yard & gutters are loaded with Maple leaves .. just part of living in the suburbs ..

Moonshadow: I couldn't agree more with your *trite* remark .. I honestly think it's a *cultural* problem .. I don't know, MAYBE in Taiwan the police are who you call if your neighbor's leaves are falling in your gutter! (grin)

Marie: The police officers were very tactful .. they probably aren't exactly used to being called in on a leaf crime! .. BUT it's very unnerving to have police knocking at the door; not once but twice ...

Workinprogress: No, this *village* is not an over-55 site .. we are a suburb of Chicago; & it's only a guess on my part, but I have always thought we are all probably called *villages* instead of a town or city just cuz we're NOT the big City of Chicago! I've always thought it sounded kinda quaint to be called a *village* ...

Graywings: we live in Illinois .. we are waiting for the village townhall to call us regarding *code* .. the police officers said they would see to it that someone would contact us ..

Mitchdsj: Bingo .. I am 100 percent sure she is just trying to intimidate us into paying a tree service .. I may not understand her broken English too well, but I definitely am familiar with her saying "accck, toooo much money" about just about everything ......

Oakleyok: I understand where you're coming from with the *being in a pickle* comment, but, in fact, according to our State Farm agent, it would be considered an *act of God* .. I bet most of us didn't know that; I didn't 'til this morning ...

Cyn: I agree; our crabapple tree is the most beautiful tree in our yard too .. Yikes, I'm glad Illinois hasn't changed their law like Pennsylvania (although, in complete honesty, it DOES seem that the tree owner should be responsible for any damages it creates)

Lowspark: the reponsibility issue is covered above .. the limb isn't all that high up; her house is a ranch .. the tree has the typical horizonal branching habit of a well-pruned flowering crab .. my hubby keeps the offending branch well-pruned with an extension-pole saw; but she wants the whole thing cut off to a *stub* at the lot line ... not only that, but she wants her *yard* guys to do it!! I tried to explain that they cut grass & *shear* her shrubs, but pruning a tree is a completely different ball game ...

Thanks so much to all of you .. I will definitely keep you posted on the updates of the leaf crime (grin)

• phyl345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! I guess I took too much time being overly verbose in my post ... Four more responses came in while I was typing! ok, so I AM a slow typist (grin)

natal, mrsmarv, roselvr & teacats: I appreciate your interest & think I pretty much covered all your comments in my long-winded epistle above .. I am finding the comments of everyone very interesting ...

thanks,

p.s. just curious ... how many of you are surprised with the info the insurance agent gave me?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I'm not at all surprised because that has tended to be the rule rather than the exception - what happens on your property is your problem.

Although the laws are changing, vven the 2007 Virginia Supreme Court ruling applies (as I understand it) only to nuisance trees and actual harm or imminent danger, not annoying leaves and small branches dropping.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Regarding what the insurance agent told you. I am not surprised.

A pine tree fell on my niece's car, while she was parked in her girlfriend's driveway. Her girlfriend called her homeowner's insurance agent who told her it was an act of God because the tree was disease free and seemingly healthy.

She was told if a property owner had a sick tree fall on someone's car or house the property owner would be responsible. Her car insurance paid for the damage.

I love the trees that line my property, separating us and our neighbor. Some are ours and some belong to the neighbor. One of our neighbor's trees fell on our property during a snow storm. Our neighbor paid someone to clean up her tree from our property! We weren't expecting that at all and told her so, but she insisted. (I love my neighbor.)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I'm really surprised by that. Okay, what if there's an ice storm and your tree limbs fall on her roof? That's not an innocent accident, an "Act of God." It would be your fault if your tree was over her house. It just doesn't make sense!

If I were her, I'd sue no matter what the insurance company says. lol.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you to get her off your back. Maybe you can send her a letter telling her what the insurance says?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Glad you got an answer. I would just ignore her in the future. Sounds like gutter guards might be a good idea for both houses. Hopefully that would stop some of her complaining (but who knows)!

tina

• lindac
    13 years ago

I knew that her insurance would pay if your tree fell on her house....because twice I have had a neighbor's tree take my power line down. and there are huge branches over hanging my drive now...I am careful where I park my car.
    Does the wind never blow in chicago? Does she not know that other leaves will blow into her gutters even if she cuts that branch?
    I would tell her "sorry, my tree and the air above your house belongs to all"
    However My insurance agent did tell me that if I gave notice that the neighbors-from-he!!'s tree was in danger of falling on my house, then if/when a limb did fall theyw ere responsible because I gave notice.
    Linda C

• lowspark
    13 years ago

OK, I guess I'm sorta surprised but not all that surprised. But then that really does give her the right to trim it back to the property line on her side. She'd have to pay for that, but she can still do it. And if I understand correctly, you feel that if she does do that, it will ruin the look and possibly the health of the tree.

I think you're sorta stuck. It sounds to me like you don't actually have to do anything. But if she does trim the tree within her right to do so, you really have no recourse either.

I didn't say this before but like others, I'm baffled by the police's involvement. What exactly do they want you to do? I mean, are they saying that you are breaking a law? Or are they just trying to keep the peace by presenting her complaint to you?

It seems to me there are two separate problems here. Firstly the issue of cutting the tree. That might happen no matter what if they decide to just take the matter into their own hands. And I wonder if there is anything at all you can do to stop that. The second is who will pay. Maybe they can't make you pay but you might end up having to at least defend yourself with a lawyer??

The only thing I can think of is to try to come up with some kind of compromise. Cut it back but not as much as she wants? Find a translator who can help with communications between the two of you? Sorry! I wish I had better ideas. This is a tough situation!

• natal
    13 years ago

Oakley, an ice storm is considered a natural disaster. In some policies that would fall under Act of God.

Phy, can you take a pic of the tree and the branches that hang over your neighbor's roof?

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I actually love crab apple trees & don't understand why anyone would have a problem living next to one; but I do understand that some people like to be difficult or don't like the extra work involved with it coming into her yard.

After your post; I feel I would call my own tree guy out to get rid of the offending branch & be done with it; especially if you are worried about what her guys can do to your tree to damage it because she does have every right to cut it without notifying you. I'm sure we pissed off my neighbor by cutting off the plum limbs that came in our yard - now that is a dangerous tree. The fruit fell right by my back door; I've skated on fruit many times.

How close to your house is her maple tree? I doubt she realizes that you clean maple leaves out of your gutter. I would tell her that but what good would it do?

IMO, she probably wants the limb gone & if it hangs over her roof, I can understand why. She could be using the leaves as an excuse.

Either cut the limb to give her nothing to complain about (except heat issues because it gave shade) & have it done the right way or leave it & wait for her to have someone cut it wrong & possibly ruin the tree. I would just have the limb cut because I'd be afraid of her suing me. She has a record of calling the police for this limb; so if it does any damage to her house, she's probably covered from that aspect. I go with the least trouble way around things.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

If a healthy tree falls it is an act of god. It's possible that these laws may vary by state - but if your neighbor's tree is obviously diseased or has large dead limbs and one of them falls on your property it's normally your neighbor's responsibility. However they must be aware of the problem.

We've going through that right now with our next door neighbor who moved away and is renting his home. We sent him a certified letter with photos showing all the dead branches on his tree that are overhanging our pool equipment and my driveway. We also sent him photos showing the large pile of dead branches that had fallen during a storm narrowly missing my car which is parked in my driveway. The township has already told him that his pin oak is dying (most of them are dying in our town). My arborist has also told him that his tree is dying. He's just hoping he won't have to do anything. The estimate to take the tree down is nearly $3000.00. He also thinks that I would have to hire an attorney in order to get the money from him. What he doesn't know is that my son just graduated from law school - I won't have any attorney bills to pay.

I think to resolve your issue I'd pay a professional to trim the branch away from her house. But take photos, lots of photos and let her stand there and watch.

Maire

• suero
    13 years ago

If the limb overhangs your neighbor's property line, she has the right to remove the limb up to the property line at her expense. You can remove the limb at your expense, but you are under no obligation to do so.
    I was not at all surprised at your insurance agent's answer. That's just the way it is. During a hurricane, a tree on our property was uprooted and fell on the neighbor's fence, breaking part of the fence. The neighbor had to pay for repairing the fence and removing the portion of the tree on the neighbor's property.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Some people look for any little thing to sue~~sue happy?? Have the dang tree trimmed to keep you blood pressure down, and watch while it's being done. ;o)

• natal
    13 years ago

We had 2 pines snap during Hurricane Gustav. The tops fell in a neighbor's yard. Since we had to hire someone to take the rest of the trees down we also included cleanup of the neighbor's yard. It was the right thing to do.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

The laws do vary by state. It used to be that almost all states used to not hold the tree owner responsible, but some (like here in Virginia-and graywings is right about the details) are changing the laws. We had neighbors take down a huge oak on a hill near/on the property line because it was starting to die from the top and they didn't want to risk it coming down in our yard. Good thing-it would have been just my luck to be under it when it fell-ha. We also just had several large, but dead limbs removed from another oak on our propery that were hanging over another neighbor's yard. Not worth taking a chance.

Also, although people do have the right to remove branches from a neighbor's tree, they can only do so if they don't impact the health of the tree. If they kill it, they would have to pay for it. I would rather take care of my own trees!

Good luck. Would love to see a picture of the offending tree!

• camlan
    13 years ago

At this point, if the law in your area allows, your neighbor can have the tree trimmed. Your prior experience with this indicates that she will not consider how the tree looks or how it will be affected by the trimming.

So you are left with a choice--do you let her trim the tree at her expense, or do you get it done yourself, and in the process get a better job, i.e. more pleasing to the eye and better for the tree. If you have the trim work done, you do not have to remove as much as your neighbor wants, which is probably to the property line. I suspect that the neighbor won't be totally thrilled with a trim that only takes away the worst of the branches hovering over her roof, but also won't be willing to spend the money to trim the tree as far as the law allows.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Natal, I talked to my dh about this last night and he agreed with you and the insurance company.

But it just doesn't make sense! lol. Especially if there's an ice storm and a neighbors tree is hanging over MY roof and MY roof was heavily damaged in an ice storm because of someone else's tree!

He kept saying, "That's why we have insurance"...even if our insurance company drops us or raises our rates because of someone else's tree.

It's just wrong! :)

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

oakley, it totally isn't fair! But, in the last ice storm in Oklahoma, our neighbor had a HUGE tree, with limbs that would kill you if they fell on you. Anyway, one of those limbs came crashing down in our back yard and fence. We had to get the fence fixed and remove that HUGE limb. Not our neighbor.

Also, in this last tornado in Norman, friends of ours house was hit, but even worse, was all the trees and debris from their neighborhood ended up in THEIR yard. My friend was responsible for the cleanup and the insurance company allowed them $500.00 for it. The cleanup was approximately $4000.00. It was a very "treed" neighborhood and it looked really weird right after it happened to see everything in their yard and the other neighbors yard had nothing. There is one neighbor in her nieghborhood, at the other end of street, very nice neighborhood, that have hit on hard times with the economy, and they still have quite a bit of debris and can't afford to get it moved, so they are doing it little by litte. She has already gotten poison ivy, so they are waiting until cool weather. $500.00 doesn't go very far. Their yard still looks horrible from the debris.

Regarding the neighbor from OP, I don't see why you just don't have the limb cut. It is the right thing to do. I wouldn't want it cut either and it wouldn't bother me, if I were your neighbor.

I heard a someone say the other day, "you can be right, or have peace". Sometimes, peace is just better.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Yes, it's why we have insurance but there is always small claims court. Look at my son's ex-GF (recently broke up) - my neighbor backed into the GF's car. GF was parked in a no parking zone, so IMO, it was both of their faults - GF's car had a tiny scratch that could be buffed out - car is about 15 yrs old, this scratch did not affect the value - neighbors newer minivan has the worst damage - instead of letting it go or putting it through insurance, the GF's parents took my neighbors to small claims court & won. I would have loved to have been there; why didn't the judge ask if it was submitted through insurance because that's why we have insurance?

In the end, people do not want to file claims if they don't have to. I'd bet the OP's neighbor would go to court instead of filing a claim if her house got damaged.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I think you should just cut it back to the property line.

And she is calling the police about this? Is this Mayberry?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

There is always someone who will be unhappy either way-I wish I hadn't had to pay to have those limbs removed before they fell into my neighbor's yard, but if the laws hadn't been changed, our neighbors would have been unhappy if they had to pay for it. Oh well. It is always best when trees fall into the street-the city/county/utilities remove them-much easier ;)

• golddust
    13 years ago

Hijack alert! Just don't have a deer hit by a car and have it land on your property either. If the poor thing ends up on the roadway, the county will haul it off. If it's even one foot inside your property line, they leave it. That deer became MY responsibility!

Cost me $200. to have it removed and I didn't even hit it. If I would have known that little law, I would have drug the poor deer out a foot, placing it off my property, before I made the call.

I still don't think that was fair...

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Since it's your tree, I think you should take care of the problem with the overhanging limbs, whatever the actual law is. I wouldn't want them messing with my tree, either. I'd want it done properly and to my own satisfaction.

So who should they call? I guess I'd call the township to get to the correct department for the local laws but since they are foreigners they may not know what to do about it or the proper lines of authority. If you previously refused to remedy the situation, calling police enforcement might also be what comes to mind for them. Life is probably much simpler that way in Taiwan. I'm surprised the police would actually get involved in something like that rather than directing them elsewhere.

I'd just take care of my own tree. If its close location is keeping their gutters clogged frequently, the water can be a problem with the house.

• User
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the responses, so if this is duplicated information, I apologize in advance. That said, I think if it were me, I'd cut the tree back. I don't know about your tree in particular, but we have a treed lot and have been told several times that amongst other things, the sap from trees hanging over roofs can cause damage. In our town the rules are, your tree your responsibility and if it can cause damage it's only fair that it should be cut back.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

The reason you're responsible is that you are also allowed to remove any dangerous branches or offensive leaf droppers :)

A neighbor does not have the ability to go onto your property to trim their trees. Think about it...say you have the neighbor from hell who won't allow you to trim branches, even if they're an obvious risk to their property, do you want to face being sued for their lack of cooperation? I myself would not be excited about allowing just anyone over on my property to trim limbs if my neighbor wanted them trimmed. I'm putting in a complicated (but easier LOL) garden and I don't want some joe blow tree trimmer over on my property with equiptment or to trip over a brick and sue me because he's trimming my neighbor's tree. We require anyone who works on our home or yard to be insured...if the neighbor calls them how would I know?

My neighbors are lovely, so it's not an issue, but that does not mean that a new neighbor would be the same.

I'm actually trimming limbs off of my neighbors trees right now (legally allowed but we discuss any major changes because we're friends). She's for anything I do because we're improving the property on the line, but still, thank god she's not a busy body who wants to control every branch.

I'd trim your "offending" tree if it offended me :) I'm trimming pretty trees now, but while they're pretty, they don't fit the future garden's goals and they block my view. If I had a yard with too much shade and a neighbor's tree was over it...I'd cut the limb off because an ugly stub is in fact less ugly than me sitting in the yard in one square foot of sunshine :oP

And as to the lawn guy trimming the tree....don't judge a book by it's cover. My lawn guy trims the trees here. He's an arborist as well as a lawn mower and very qualified to handle something like a limb being cut off.

I'm sorry your neighbor sucks. In cases like this there should be a goverment fund that allows us to buy the house of any annoying neighbors to get rid of them :oP I would buy six townhouses in my other neighborhood LOL