SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

Help on 1st layout 'chef's table' inspired kitchen

amberley
16 years ago

I would love opinions/advice from all you layout gurus out there. I have another post on my idea of doing a chef's table inspired kitchen/dining room space:

These are my main goals:

1. open combined kit/d/r space

2. warm and inviting family and entertaining space

3. DIY frinedly- we will be doing as much as we can ourselves

4. "casually elegant" french country vibe

5. balance (or symetry if possible)

Things that can't change:

1. load bearing walls between the l/r and kit/d/r.

2. all window and door openings (solid masonry exterior walls)

3. venting for range must go out rear wall (the one with 2 windows and backyard door)

4. new stud wall against concrete shared wall- no studs there now, and therefore no electrical.

5. fridge- 36" regular depth french door (new)

6. size of dining table. We have a family of four now, but plan to have one more child. Table will be freestanding and threfore moveable.

General Ideas:

1. Zones instead of traditional triangle.

2. Important: place for baking (probably island), place for butcherblock prep, 36" pro-style range, at least 30" sink, but would prefer a 36".

3. We are planning to use IKEA cabs, but paint them and glaze them to look more "french country" (see cleo_2007's kitchen- very much like what I am trying to achieve). We will also be able to incorporate "custom trims and other pieces since they will all be painted the same.

Also, this is not our forever house, but we will be here awhile (prob 10 years or more). We have small kids- 3 and 5- so that is important. We do entertain, but it is very casual, and never really consists of sit down dinners. I would like my guests to be able to interact while I am in the kitchen, which isn't possible now.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/amberleyMD/draft1kitchenplan.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: post about chef's table idea

Comments (26)