SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stealthecrumbs

juggling emotion and reason in an offer letter

stealthecrumbs
9 years ago

Hey y'all. I've never posted in this board though I am a longtime member of gardenweb and find the wisdom here truly invaluable. We are relocating because of my husband's job. He has been commuting for quite a while because we have been searching patiently for the perfect home. I am a passionate gardener and finding just the right garden is almost as important as finding the right home. After 8 months of aggressive searching, we've finally stumbled upon a real gem- an older home on a very large lot with spectacular though very neglected gardens. The home has only been owned by one family. The matriarch is now in assisted living and her son is handling the sale. The gardens make my knees weak. The house is beautiful and has good bones but has a lot of deferred maintenace because the owner was not able to take care of many things in the years prior to going into senior living. She has not lived in the home for at least five years and much of that time it has been empty. The price of the home does not reflect the work that needs to be done.

I want to write a letter to the seller about my love of gardening and how special the home is- especially her 50+ years of gardening- and obviously I want her to pick us to buy her home. But our offer simply has to take into account that there is 40-50k of major work that needs to be done either by the family before closing or by us soon after purchase. How do I write a compelling letter to the seller extoling all the virtues of the property while also being open about the work that needs to be done. The home is NOT advertised "as-is." Thank you!

Comments (40)