SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Library bookcase layout: new issue, need a 'Filler' component

First, thanks to all who helped me with the basic design. I have decided to go with the short bookcase in the middle, making it look more like a sideboard, though the space between the taller bookcases is rather tight for the print. I have a pair of tall skinny buffet lamps I also wanted to use there, flanking the print, that would give a nice glow to that spot; but there is barely enough width for the print, much less the lamps.

I have an issue which does not really show in the pictures, which is bothering me more and more.

At the far right there is an empty space at the end of the wall, of just over a foot, where another narrow bookcase was supposed to fit in but didnÂt. In the pics we turned the spare bookcase perpendicular to the main run but it doesnÂt look quite right that way either.

If I could divide up that leftover space (which is 12 ¾"), and find 2 components that would fit on each side of the short bookcase, of similar height, that solve my problem. It would: be symmetrical, take up the odd space, and give me more room to fit in the print and the lamps. Even if they were a few inches taller than the bookcase, that would make nice pedestals for the lamp bases. The more I think of it, the more I would like to do this: it would set the space off more. For this idea I would need 2 components, each being in the range of just under 6", to a max of 6 3/8 inches wide, to make up that odd space of 12 ¾".

But I have gone through the Ikea site, and canÂt find anything in the same medium brown finish that Billy comes in. The Benno line also comes in that finish, but again, no components have the right sizes. I thought the Benno CD rack was going to work, but that is too wide to use 2, plus is too tall.

If I could get something unfinished I could possibly stain it to match. Even if it were an accent color, like black, that could work. I donÂt have the tools (or the time, right now) to build 2 skinny shelving units from scratch.

Anyone have an idea of what would work for that? I have been racking my brains for 5 days now, and am completely stumped. How do you do a search for something like this when itÂs mostly a specific SIZE you are looking for? There must be some creative solution out there that is just escaping me. Width needed : 6 to 6 3/8", Height needed: 41 ¾ to, say, 45-ish.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (12)