SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778555

Affordable bookcases: Sauder or Ikea Billy?

User
10 years ago

The remodeling budget has dictated that I'll have to go with one of the assembly-required MDF/fiberboard/particleboard brands for my collection of books, CDs and DVDs. I need the equivalent of 20 ft of bookshelf space for everything. The two most popular such brands seem to be Sauder and the Billy line from Ikea.

The room is traditional and will have a desk that has a medium cherry finish, so I'd like to approximate the color (both Sauder and Billy offer some shade of medium brown) and would like something that at least gives the appearance of a dressier piece of furniture rather than just a plain box with shelves in it.

The tallest Sauder bookcases are either 72 1/4" or 72 1/2" tall (I'd like to get as much height as possible) and range from 31" to 36" wide. They are "prettier" but the downside is that no more than 3 of the shelves are adjustable, and I don't know if additional shelves can be purchased.

The Billy bookcases are 79 1/2" tall and 31 1/2" wide. Definitely a very basic look (no trim) but every shelf is movable. I'm assuming that extra shelves can be purchased.

Pricewise the Ikea bookshelves are much more affordable (the large Sauder bookcases described above are about $150 each, versus $80 each for the brown version of the Billy). I've read rave reviews here about the durability of the Billy bookcases but nothing one way or the other about the Sauder ones.

Would love some user reviews/input/etc from anyone who has had either or both of these brands as bookshelves (preferably heavily loaded with books! LOL) for any appreciable length of time. Thanks!

Comments (20)