SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Bookcase in the LR?

User
12 years ago

Hi guys!

I had a carved 1/2 table here but I've long tired of it and it's in the attic. I think the space looks strange with nothing and I've been considering buying a bookcase. I would add books (yes, that I read) to the shelves along with some framed candid photos, a few baskets for misc. stuff (future kid stuff - I hear you end up with a lot of stuff :)), and maybe even some art propped up. I know not everyone likes photos in public areas but I do.

It will have to be an inexpensive bookcase and I'm a little concerned about how that will do in a room with a solid wood entertainment stand. Saving for a really nice one isn't anywhere on the top of our priority list for a number of reasons. I've also been looking on CL for a long time.

I was considering this one but in general I WILL NOT be using the cardboard unless I cover it in fabric. I may use a completely different backing that's painted or stained. I have a large piece of unfinished oak beadboard paneling leftover that could be stained or painted. I thought about beadboard wallpaper (I've used it and like it.) but it dings easy.

{{gwi:1844640}}

It comes in a cherry or black finish but it may look better painted..possibly the same brown as my stairs, SW Woodsy Brown. I'm not really worried about dust.

Here's the size mock up. What do you think? Size is 29.29 x 13.07 x 71.14

{{gwi:1844642}}

{{gwi:1844643}}

Additional room shots

{{gwi:1844644}}

{{gwi:1844645}}

{{gwi:1844646}}

Deb from the Bungalow Blog beefed up her bookcase with some trim. I don't really feel like adding trim but would consider feet. I like how the back is stained.

http://www.thebungalowblogonline.com/2011/01/beef-up-bookcase.html

{{gwi:1844647}}

***A few general room notes:

-The furniture arrangement isn't super but we (GW and myself) have rearranged this room every way possible over the past few years. It will have to stay until we replace one of the main pieces of furniture and that won't be happening for a long time.

-I know the paint color doesn't work with the carpet. It looks worse with the lighting in these photos. I'm not repainting right now as we'll be installing hardwood soon enough.

-There's a picture not shown in these photos that's above the wing chair/table. I'll be having that matted and reframed in the upcoming months and am considering doing a small wall arrangement around that main photo.

-Some of you may remember the skirted 30" decorator table I had beside the chair. I'll put it back eventually but wanted a new look for a while. Still need to get that Ballards tablecloth.

-And too much stuff makes me feel cluttered, which is something I'm a little concerned about with the bookcase. I don't want the room to look cluttered but I don't like how that side of the wall looks. I didn't really want to add a different console type table because it doesn't really do much for storage and I feel like there needs to be some height there.

Thanks!

Comments (64)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really like this one but not sure if it coordinates with the entertainment stand because of the glass or fights with it. I know white wouldn't work here so I'd paint it. I'm not opposed to a color, btw. In general, I've been really wanting to add a rich navy blue to the room. I'd also paint (Deco Art's no prep metal paint) the silver hardware.

Dimension are 13 x 30 x 48. It would fall an inch below the light switch.
    {{gwi:1844653}}

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I just don't like the tall, narrow bookcase there. I think the scale of it is what is bothering me. It seems very small compared to the rest of your furnishings.

I like what you had there before better than the small bookcase. I see what you are saying about how that wall is so "lightweight" compared to the other three walls in there, but I think it is a nice break from the heavier areas.

One big floor to ceiling storage piece is probably enough for that size room. As someone else said, I'd hold out for something much more interesting to put there.

Yesterday someone on CL gave away a huge, very nice dining set for free. One of the pieces was a really nice server. Something like that would fit the area nicely, provide closed storage, and have room for a lamp on top. It looks like you could use a lamp or at least an accent light in that corner.

• Related Discussions

Would it look odd to put bookcases in the dining room?

Q

Comments (31)
    Tibbrix is right, the moldings would have to come off of the wall in order for the wall to look right with the bookcases in front of it, unless the bookcases are a bit longer than the wall and you have a way of covering the end - where you would see the wall gap behind the bookshelves. You could place a convenient pedestal and narrow tapestry there, I suppose. The only other non-destructive way of using the bookshelves in the dining room is to use them to create a fourth wall. If the three bookshelves are not as long as the opening into the dining room, you can create a secluded - but sunny - space in your home. Simply place the shelves, book side in, as if there was a fourth wall in the room. If you do not like looking at the back of the bookshelves, consider getting stain-grade plywood to attach to the back and stain it to coordinate with the flooring and put a few coats of polyurethane on it. A hanging rug or tapestry or quilt are also possibilities to cover some of the space, or you could make a montage of family photographs or other artwork. Or do artwork on the wall. If you are into any particular genre of music, you can get album cover art to mount. Or posters. Only lack of imagination limits you. Inside your new room, there is no reason to remove the dining table. You can add a pair of comfortable reading chairs with lamps and a side table, yet still have the dining table on the other end of the room. The room looks plenty long enough for the table to go in the other direction. You can also take a leaf out (if the is one to remove) and put it and a couple of chairs in the basement. You can also set two dining chairs in a little conversation area away from the table, maybe around a tea table. Then you may use the dining table as a dining table, or for doing jigsaw puzzles, playing games, or for some less-messy projects that you don't want to have to put away each day. Add a couple of area rugs to define spaces, raise the chandelier if it is too low, and put it on a dimmer if it is not already dimmable. Now the room is more usable and comfy.
    ...See More

Strange Thoughts about Bookcases

Q

Comments (9)
    Annie, I pinned it and reposted the pic that way-- hopefully will stay put now! Yes, I agree that the narrowness is an issue. Unfortunately, I think the same of my own (too narrow) but it was the only one I could find that would fit my space and my $. As for adding trim and moulding-- yes, that is my plan, except that my bookcases are wood veneer, and not white. It seems everyone who adds trim and such are working with white. I guess it will just take finding the right stain to make it work, and getting real wood trim. I've been wanting to add doors, but this wouldn't work for my kids . . .the little ones need easy access to their books and doors + little fingers are a problem. Graywings, I will work on getting some up. Roarah, your photo is very inspiring. My setup is the same-- enough room for one bookcase on each side + a window. Are yours made entirely from scratch or did you "hack" ones you bought? I have also been thinking of putting a bench under my window. I also love the idea of putting something under the bookcase. That gives me more options if I find shorter but vintage or antique ones. Jakabedy, I fully agree that one bookcase is the problem. However, that is all I have room for as well-- as I said above, a wall of bookcases creates a different feeling. I only have room for one on each side. Peegee, that isn't my room. As I wrote above, my wall color is much darker and there is not much contrast between the bookcase and wall color. My books and such are already arranged so that not much is on top. These combined ideas have been very helpful. I will have to think about the "problem" more and come back with pics. Thanks so much!
    ...See More

Playroom: bookcase wall and built-in bunk beds same color?

Q

Comments (7)
    Have you seen this post on Built-in Bunk beds? There are actually 4 on this wall, but only 2 can be seen. The area is painted SW Warm Stone. ' If you Google the image, you'll find other built-in bunk beds with a similar paint finish. I love the idea of a bunk room, and wish we had left the space over the garage accessible through the house so we could add them for our grandchildren. Here is a link that might be useful: Built in Bunk Beds
    ...See More

Dark stained built-in bookcases and FP

Q

Comments (21)
    I changed black on the fireplace for antique brass, lol. And an old one at that. Everybody and theirs aversion I guess.. Together with that, whitewashing seems more natural looking. (I remember one of the last entries in Maria Killiam's blog was dedicated to changing a brick fireplace..many comments about fully painting vs whitewashing vs completely changing..if you want I can find it for you. Commenters share their experiences and all. ) Otherwise, I don't think the transformation is better than what they had. They like it more because it's newer, and they got tired of the old look. But for me, who sees it for the first time, nothing screams "What a great transformation". (and yes, I am somebody who hated her newly inherited fireplace so much she changed it as much as she could. (Still not done). So I get it. I fully get the desire to completely change the look of an irritating fireplace. I am just not particularly impressed with the article) I agree with nosoccermom-it's better to tackle(or not) the fireplace last. You'll see better what it asks to be, when you change other things around.
    ...See More
  • User
    12 years ago

Did you give your sister the beautiful half table? If so, did she cry like mine did when I gave her a family piece?

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

I really like the idea of something wider and lower, with art above it. It will make that corner more of a visual destination. You could even have a tall candlestick type lamp on top. I could picture a book-stand on top with and old dictionary propped in it. I'm probably one of the few people left in the world who use them!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Cindyloo123, it's interesting that you mention putting a server there. That was what first popped into my mind. It's low and has storage.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So it's a new day and I don't love any of the choices I ps last night. : ) Oh, btw the last one is deeper IRL.

Hmmm, server...server... like a buffet?

The foyer is outside the one entrance and here's the buffet there. Should I be looking for something not quite as solid/heavy looking?
    Old photo and that pic on the wall has been replaced.
    {{gwi:1844654}}

I'll keep looking. You guys have saved me many times from purchases I know I wouldn't of liked later. Things I was trying to force to work because I was impatient to get it "done". Remember the LR rug? Yeeah. If I'm being completely honest, besides the fact that this area has been bugging me visually for a long time, once we have a baby I know stuff like this...will be put on the back burner. I won't be able to justify spending the money for certain housey things even when we have it.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Javachic - Actually no. I ended up telling her before it was a "surprise". She was planning using it in her new place but once they were moved in and she started to decorate, she headed in a more pottery barn/coastal feel direction and it just doesn't go. She declined which is ok. I told her it's here if she decides she wants it later.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I think a server is one of those pretty tables where there are two wheels? Or am I totally off base? lol.

I do like the short bookcase. Don't get the Sam's Club or anything like it. Notice the bottom of the case? It won't be sturdy for little rugrats. :)

I also like the tall shelves too. We've got two of them side by side in a bedroom and I love them. They used to be in the LR before we had the built-in's made, and loved them there too.

A painted piece would be fine, even with glass. It doesn't matter if it matches your wall unit. Mixed woods and painted pieces are beautiful in the same room.

Not fond of the black though.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally missed your post, Val. A while back I was planning to leave the space empty for kids stuff - bouncer, toy box etc. I figured it would probably give some sanity to the room at the end of the day. A day of watching my niece and it looked like Toys R Us exploded in the LR.

If I can't find something that sings to me I'll probably give up for now and go with that idea.

Oakley - I'm picturing a tea cart now, lol.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Yea, I think the one with wheels is a tea cart. I like the idea of a server, but probably not with what you've got in the foyer.

I like the idea of a bookcase, and I'm thinking taller. I like the idea of painted, not something matching your entertainment center.

Do you have an Ikea? I know alot of people are into those Billy cases - at least that's what I think they are called. We don't have Ikea here though.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina - Sadly there's no Ikea near me. I wish they'd ship things!
    Any paint color suggestions?

I'm not sure what I think about the server idea but I'm not sure I'm picturing the right thing.

I'm not completely sold on the real short bookcases mainly because I also want to add photos and I'd rather them be closer to eye level.

This one is a little wider, deeper and somewhere in the middle for height. It's taller than the wing chair on the other side which I think would help break it up visually for me.
    It's 32 x 15 x 56. I left the green tape from yesterday to show the previous bookcase(s) height.
    {{gwi:1844655}}

{{gwi:1844656}}

Once again the perspective tool in Gimp kicked my butt. :)
    {{gwi:1844657}}

I took a pic of my computer screen so it bookcase looks a bit distorted and strange in shape.
    So you don't have to scroll back up.
    {{gwi:1582340}}

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I love the idea of a painted bookcase! You could buy an inexpensive one and paint it yourself, if you paint.

I do undertand what people are saying about holding off for a "better" bookcase, but I have to step in and say something.

I was Shee's age at one time, "first starting out." Money is tight for young couples, and the bookcases Shee showed us above are just fine, IMO. I had them, still do, but now they're in another room because I could afford the built-in's once I got to be an old hag. :)

Also, I think Shee's room is big enough to have two tall pieces of furniture in there. Actually I think it would make the room more interesting!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Shee, I've been meaning to tell you this since I saw the pictures. See the first bookcase you have up there?

We have two identical things on our bookshelves. See the smallish tan box? We have it but it's a Chess box for Chess pieces.

On the bottom shelf you see a storage box with a clasp. We have the same one (actually two, on the very top shelf) which is bigger and a medium green color. They hold our pictures. Perfect for decorating a bookshelf!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

shee, have you given any thought to a secretary? I did a quick search on my area's CL and there was a ton.

Though a bookshelf would work fine, these have a bit more character and they seem to be priced about the same as a new bookshelf.

Here is a link that might be useful: secretary

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakley - Hmm.. I'm confused. The bookcases above are stock photos. :) I do like the box you're talking about though.

Deedee - That was an idea a few years ago but for some reason DH really doesn't like the look of them. He doesn't usually have too much to say about what I do with the house, so when he has a strong opinion most times I'll leave it alone. Also, I know the style is more traditional but it feels more formal to me and I'm trying to slowly get away from some of that. Even thought the entertainment stand has carvings, I feel that IRL the hardware and chunks of distressing give it a more masculine feel. It doesn't photograph that way though.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

A server is about 2/3 the width of a buffet. Here is the first one I found when I googled "dining room server": http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-98514242922916_2177_272393244

A server would give you a little tabletop space for photos. You could put photos on the wall above the piece though.

I know the bookcase is an inexpensive piece to fill the spot, but you can probably find a more interesting and better quality piece (though it may need painting) on CL for less money.

I nearly suggested a secretary earlier, lol. And I often see very nice drop leaf tables on CL. A drop leaf table would fit there, give you a surface for some frames, and you may end up using it as an actual table sometimes in other rooms.

I think two or more of those tall bookcases look nice together. I am not crazy about a single unit when it does not fill the space. Maybe it's because I know that it is one of the cheapest solutions out there?

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Well if you really want to fill it, then I lean towards the suggestion of a server. With your ottoman there, I think it's something that could be both decorative and useful for entertaining. What I like about the server over the bookcase is that it is deeper and would fill out the corner better. Not sure what your entertaining style is, but this could be used as a makeshift bar - for alcohol, coffee, appetizers and/or desserts so guests do not need to drift into the kitchen. And, when you are not entertaining, you could decorate as you wish.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Shee, first of all, if you want a bookcase, and are looking at inexpensive, but pretty ones, it can always be repurposed later. If you get tired of the look, move it to another room, paint it, or whatever. I had a CHEAP (Walmart) shelf in each of my kids rooms when they were growing up. The bottom two shelves had doors (to hide the junk) and the top shelves were open. These cabinets held a multitude of stuff (junk) over the years - collectibles, stereos and speakers, trophys, pictures, and yes - a few books! It kept kid and teenage junk corralled into one area.

I watched "You've Got Mail" last night for the 100th time last night and really focused in on her bookshelves. They have "lots of books". Love this apartment.

I used to think I didn't have room for bookshelves - but realize, most of the time, chairs, tables, etc are angled in FRONT of them. I must rethink this aspect of decorating.

Tuesday

Here is a link that might be useful: You've Got Mail apartment

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I love the idea of a secretary too! Have you seen the painted one that Eddie Ross did? It is traditional, but I don't think of formal.

I just realized, we have one short "bookcase" although it is not used for books. It's in our office and holds many of hubby's old "things" he collects. I don't have books displayed on shelves anywhere in our house! LOL I have some stored in an old ice chest and some in a wicker basket thingy (used as a side table). I don't keep alot of books though.

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

Chiming in a bit late here, but think that everyone has such great suggestions! I completely agree that there should be something in that corner to balance the weight of the room. It's just waiting for a bookshelf! If you have a great piece of art that will fit in that space well then go for it - otherwise I think that a nice bookshelf organized well with books and maybe some of those collectibles (?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips on Filling a bookshelf

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy & Val - Thanks for posting that server picture.

Thinking about a server type piece some more, it's only about 7' from the buffet in the foyer and IRL it seems closer. With photos I also really want to mix them books instead of by themselves.

The last bookcase I posted is 15" deep which is the deepest point on the 1/2 table. (I know all this doesn't show very well on photos.)

Tuesday - I agree about that being a nice apartment!

I'm leaning towards nothing or a bookcase still and I figure if I don't like in the room I use it in the office since I eventually want one in there anyhow.

Tina - I did not but I'm going to look it up now. I'm not sure what it is about those that DH doesn't like. However he also doesn't like rice but I added some with stuffed peppers tonight and he actually tried it and LIKED IT! ;)

Dalmadarling - I'm lacking in the art department. It will probably be a while before I can find items I really like to add with the picture above the chair. Thanks for the link!

Cindy said "...Maybe it's because I know that it is one of the cheapest solutions out there?"
    That's a big part of my problem! The fact that I'll "know" what I paid for it. I am pretty confident though, that I can deck it out to look nicer.

Anyone have any ideas on a paint color? A friend poopooed my deep navy blue idea. Can't do red. I like cream (or white) but I think it would look too stark. Getting even more offtopic, I've been wanting to change up my throw pillows (silk ones aren't people or pet friendly!) so maybe I could loosen up the color pallet.

Like usual I'm going to have to sit on this a few days.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I agree, a server or even a drop leaf table would be too close to the buffet.

It sounds like the bookcase would be a low risk investment. Your lifestyle may change considerably if you are about to start a family. But if you have an alternate location for the bookcase, you don't have much to lose by trying it out in the living room.

I agree that you can "beef" it up with trim and then it will really be all about how you fill it. It seems you are looking forward to having some shelves to arrange, lol. The bookcase itself may not be the most interesting piece you could put there, but if you do a good job filling it, no one will notice the piece itself.

Choosing the color will be interesting. I see gold (walls) and burgandy (sofa) in the room. What other color is on your sofa fabric? What about a darker version of the wall color?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy - "It seems you are looking forward to having some shelves to arrange, lol."
    Ha! Yeep, yep, yep. I just recently helped a friend transformed a bookcase and accessories it. I had a lot of fun and couldn't help staring at it when we were finished!

The walls are a gold (BM Shelburne Buff). The couch is a deep red/burgundy color but the paisley design is gold and, if you get really close and are looking for it, green. Just looking at it, I personally think it can pass for green or navy.

I painted posterboard for the back of the bookends in SW Mannered Gold, which is pretty deep but I'm trying to picture something larger. I would want to do the back of the bookcase different - fabric, or different backing stained or painted. I should also bust out that other large table for some photos. I plan to order a twill tablecloth from Ballard Designs in "Caramel" and then use a plaid topper in red, greens, browns. Currently I'm using a flop tablecloth I tried to make. I couldn't finish the bottom because I bought 45" wide fabric instead of 54" and it would be too short. Oops. :)

Hmm.. I could also use a glaze over whatever I do. I'm getting pretty decent at layering finishes. I need to post and update picture of the chandelier I just did.

• annac54
    12 years ago

How about a small chest? It would give you a little display space and some storage too. Put a nice rectangular mirror over it, as you have art on the wall on the other side of the door, or maybe some other type of wall decoration.

Maybe something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bombe Chest

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

Have you considered a wider bookcase, filling up as much of that corner as possible? I wonder if you covered most of the wall space there if it would marry those 2 doorways and the whole thing would then be one visual unit, which would feel less busy, and would then truly balance the window and furniture on the other side and the entertainment stand on the end.

• User
    12 years ago

Here are my server and a "bar" cart I'm coveting. The server top opens from the middle and extends to about 60 inches. There is a drawer and a shelf behind the doors. This particular server would be much too low for your wall, but idea is great in that all those Fisher Price toys could be stashed away.

The "bar" cart - not so good for babies but great for the grown up kiddies!

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I agree a wider bookcase would look better. If I needed another one in the living room, the link below is what would be considered.

Here is a link that might be useful: bookcase

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I totally understand about wanting to get things done before the baby arrives (and congratulations!), and I also see that without anything there the space does look vacant, however both graywings and valinsv hit the nail on the head about needing room for baby things. I don't know your story (sorry), so I don't know if you already have children and / or if you have another room in which you spend the bulk of your time, but based on playing with your niece in there I'm assuming this is the room you use a lot. ??? If so, I'm leaning toward keeping your spaces freer so you will have room for the baby swing (which you MUST have) and other tall / bulky toys.

How far away is the nursery? Is it on the same level or will you have to go up- / downstairs? For some reason I'm assuming the bedrooms are on a different level. Having a server could be brilliant for two (at least!) reasons: you could use its top as a changing station and the storage underneath for add'l baby clothes & infant toys. As your child gets older (and I'm just talking about transitioning to a toddler) you could instead use the server for toys ... toys which seem to increase exponentially! When your baby is out of the swing, they might be interested in having their own push toys and / or a bouncer (mine LOVED the bouncer), and again, I think having room against the wall (so the toys don't sit in the middle of the room) will be useful.

Children aside: I liked the look of the demilune table you had previously but reading your and others' comments makes me think there's a whole backstory I don't know. I know others above have said it already but I think having a tall bookcase there will just be too visually heavy, and given the changing dynamic in your family I'd wait to add furniture to either side of your entertainment unit (which my eye really wants to do, but my practical side says "great empty floorspace for big toys").

Happy new baby! So so excited for you!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I have book cases all over the place, but I build them in for some reason. :)

My first impression was that the book case you showed was too narrow/small for the space. Something wider (and not black) would look a lot better.

I like the idea, too, of something shorter with artwork or something above it. I think it would also please you better and longer, given the fact you do vingettes nicely. You can arrange more, and change it out a few times before you tire of it. Longevity!

Your home is cozy and lovely.

Christine

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I wasn't trying to be rude by not responding, I haven't had internet for four days, gaaahhh!

AnnaC - Hmm. I didn't think about a bombe chest. I've always really liked those. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bungalow - I think something wider would be best. I agree about it feeling less busy.

Java - So that is your server or someone you know owns it? Either way, it's really nice and looks like a great place for storing stuff! )
    Ha, about the bar cart. : )

Emagineer - Thank you for the link. I looked there originally but I think I should end up with something wider, I'll be revisiting. When I finally get something, I'll probably end up paying more but I'd rather be content long term.

Rmkitchen - Thank you!! We don't have any children yet and are very excited! We use this room the most. Our basement is finished with DH's man cave, etc. but we're working on slowly furnishing it. Just got a great deal on a tv the other day from a friend actually!

The nursery will be on the same level, back the hall.

About the demilune (I can never remember that word!) table, my taste has changed quite a bit in the past few years. It used to be the more carved and fancy something was the more I liked it. I just like different things now and I bought that table off CL so it wasn't very expensive. IRL it is really formal with the carvings and marble top. I do still have a carved French style end table between the couch and loveseat that will stay but everything else I've wanted to tone it done more. I've even changed out the style of accessories a good bit. I plan to change out lamp with the crystals (the one where the lamp shade is the wrong size.) hopefully real soon.

What kind of furniture are you thinking for either side of the e.stand? Oakley had mentioned that above too. I just can't picture anything there. I tried hanging art there once and thought it seemed too much but my eye probably wasn't used to it.

CEFreeman - Aw, thank you. That was really nice.

So having a few days without internet, I'm strongly leaning toward leaving it bare for now because of the baby. The artwork above still bugs me so I'll continue to look for pieces I love. I feel like it looks like I just slapped that one on the wall.

Tomorrow I'll be dropping off that other picture to have matted and reframed. I'm pretty excited about that.

• natal
    12 years ago

Shee, did I miss something? Are you pregnant?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am. :)

I didn't actually say it (well, prior to my last post) so I don't know if Rmkitchen misread or it was that obvious.

I'll be posting a nursery layout thread soon.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

OK, did I miss something, shee. Are you PG now or just planning to start your family in a few years? Knowing that would definitely make a difference whether to leave it bare or put something there in the interim. I still learn towards a server type thing that you can stash baby/kids paranephelia behind closed doors and/or put baby locks on so they are not grabbing and dumping all the contents on the floor. Gosh, I miss that stage! It's amazing how these little ones can take over a space with their stuff. Whatever you put there though make sure it has rounded corners. My kids always seemed to be bumping their heads on corners that were around counter height until I got rid of them all.

javachick: Your server is looking wonderful and I like the choices you made. I didn't realize it opened up. What a fantastic piece. Did you paint the sides black?

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Congratulations, sheesharee! I suspected you were pregnant, maybe because of your lack of recent posts; I thought you were focusing on something more important.

I agree with your decision to leave the area blank for now. We had a similar area when our DD was young and a hot pink Strawberry shortcake toy box fit right there (though clashed with everything else):)

Dee

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!! Great idea to keep that space open considering the new addition on his/her way ;o)

• natal
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to seeing the nursery pics.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Wonderful news!!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Well you did a good job keeping the secret little mama!

tina

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Way to go Shee and Mr. Shee!!!!!

Isn't your dad a carpenter? For some reason I thought he was. Why not have him do some built-ins for you?

My vote is still for a bookshelf. You don't have to worry what to put on them right now, but they always add to a room.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

Congrats! You guys must be so excited :)

I had a thought, would you consider using a dresser there? Something with nice legs and 3-4 deep drawers. They are versatile, so can be used in any room when you want to make changes.

Some things about a bookcase give me pause. When the child is mobile and explores, he/she will be pulling off everything within reach. They are unbelievably quick, too. Second, what if the kid is a climber? I know you'd bolt them to the wall but walking in and seeing your little one halfway up will make your heart drop! Is your wallboard textured? That makes it a lot more difficult to spackle the big holes when you want to move things around later.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Congratulationa, Shee! What happy news!

Personally, I like Javachik's idea of a server best. There can never be too much storage space, especially with children. I'd also thought of a dresser. Whatever you get, do consider something that sits flat on the floor. So much easier to vacuum, and you also avoid the problem of getting down on your hands and knees looking for small toys (think Legos) that hide under anything that's even slightly off the floor.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Yeah!!! Congrats, Shee!!!! I was wondering why you've been so quiet lately and was wondering what project you'd been working on. Guess, we know now!! I also thought I'd missed something with rmkitchen's post. Well, in that case, definitely lay off the painting/glazing projects for at least the first trimester!

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I think a bookcase would work for flexibile storage. Perhaps you could find something with doors on the bottom & use that space for storing toys, etc. out of sight.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I must be delphic! Actually, your posts were baby-laden so I'd assumed somewhere else (like another thread) you must've mentioned being pregnant but that I just hadn't read it. I am so excited for you! xo

• User
    12 years ago

A baby!! YAY! My first impression of you from your bedroom decorating thread was: How much energy she has! (remember?) You'll need every ounce of that energy soon. Congratulations!

(Not meaning to hijack: valinsv, no I didn't paint the server. It was made that way.)

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I started reading this thread from the bottom up, wow !! what great news !!

Can't wait for the threads on nursery decorating !!
    Congratulations !

• loribee
    12 years ago

Sooo happy for you, hope you are feeling well!

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Congratulations Shee!.

My son has a 9 year old daughter whom we love dearly and she lives across the road from us so we get to see her often.

Just found out this summer, my DD who lives a couple of hours away is expecting in April - we're so excited. Just wanted to say I started reading your "decorating adventures" here two or three years ago, and you "virtually" remind me so much of my DD - your age, enthusiasm, your vision of your style direction, working on a tight budget, etc.

They waited 5 years to get pregnent, and were always doing projects on their house so that some of these things would be done before a little one arrived in their home. They even got their travels out of the way (a trip to Ireland, a cruise, etc), knowing they would be settling into the nesting stage for a few years.

We will all be anxiously awaiting the "decorating the nursery" party!

Tuesday

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!!

Oakley - My Dad does have mad workworking skills but his back is having some issues and he has a lot going on with work right now. We started a little project together months ago and I don't see that it will be finished anytime soon.

Alex - I would maybe consider a dresser there if I could find the right one.
    The walls are smooth.

Java - Ha, I also hope I can keep all my energy!

Tuesday - Aw, thank you. I was nodding my head reading the rest of what you wrote about your DD.
    You've always reminded me of someone I'd get along with well IRL.

Thanks again everyone! I change my mind daily about what I want to do with that area. I really want to decorate a bookshelf but I think I'll appreciate a cleared floor by the end of the day. However, I may run into that perfect something tomorrow.

I have nursery ideas for both a girl or boy that I'll need some help refining. We will be finding out and crossing our fingers the Dr. is correct as I have specific directions I want to go with each. Stay tuned!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tuesday - Oh, I also wanted to say congratulations to your DD and her DH! :D