SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkiv808_gw

Went into contract on a new townhouse and I want out - read why

mkiv808
14 years ago

So I went into contract on a new townhouse. It's being built by a relatively upscale builder in the NY tri-state area that I will not mention as of yet.

The unit is at the far end of the complex at the secondary entrance. It's about 250' from a major road and about 80' from the back of a light industrial building. I knew these limitations going into it and compromised. They are building a berm with a line of privacy pines to buffer the view. That I am fine with.

The other night, I went to go drive by my unit around 11PM. That's when I discovered something that would've been a mystery to me had I not been there at that time. What appeared to be a pretty low-key cafe with a bar in the vicinity is in reality a loud, obnoxious biker bar. Booming music was clearly audible from where my townhouse will be. That and Harleys and obnoxious loud drunks.

The bar is about 200-300' from the Unit, down a hill.

I'm bothered for a few reasons: 1. That a supposed "upscale" builder with a good reputation would not do due diligence before deciding to build in that area on their very large site, and 2. that I went through this whole process being told that it would be a good spot with low noise and privacy and the sales rep never divulged that a noisy bar was within ear shot.

I understand I am partially at fault for not asking the question, but I you'd think that with another apartment building literally 50' from the "cafe" that it would be a non-issue.

A friend of mine knows someone that just moved into that apartment, which is fairly new, and I had her ask how bad the noise it is. She described it as an "annoyingly loud biker bar".

This is hugely disappointing.

I already put 5% down and am in contract.

Do I have ANY recourse, or am I stuck? Should I get a lawyer? Does anyone have experience with builders or been employed by one?

Heck, I would be happy just to switch units at this point, even if it means having my money tied up for a longer time in order to get a unit being built later on.

It is NOT Toll Brothers, by the way, but a company of similar vein; just smaller and more regional.

Comments (29)