SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Another Finished UFO (w/ Pix)

pirate_girl
13 years ago

Hi Gang,

Last year while I was still looking for work I'd decided to finish up some UFOs. Now that the camera's back from the Shop, it's time to share some pix.

This was an exercise for a class in Color at my LQS. We had to make 4 different color schemes, these were

both analogous & complimentary (the back more complimentary). We were instructed to work in 4" squares.

The back view

Something about the vibe on the back felt kind of 'Sanscrit' to me & prompted me to quilt these circles (if you have no compass at home a salad plate works just fine).

Yet the piece is named "Indonesian Jazz Hands" as a close up of the print on the back reminds of that.

Detail of one side of back w/ binding:

I never worked in the compliments purple & yellow before, pretty wild, but the more I looked at it, the more comfortable I became w/ it. Talk about out of one's comfort zone!

back to the Front:

a favorite detail from the Back:

(this last one is supposed to be clickable)

It was a lot of fun letting go my normally reserved color sense & just letting myself go wild. Takes a certain amount of balls (both nerve & confidence) but was a blast. (It does help to tell the Quilt Police they are not welcome! I particularly had to tell the Color Gods it was time to play & we were not being graded (I am a recovering textile designer, the Color Gods stay very close by)).

I heartily recommend losing one's mind in this way from time to time.

Comments (4)