SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Hypertufa Party at Shirley's ... long w/pix and tips

Patty "Castrogardener" and I had long mulled over getting together and trying our hand at making hypertufa plant containers. Shirley "OakRockDeer" must have picked up our thoughts because she invited us to a 'Tufa Party' which we attended today.

Patty and I were estatic because we'd never seen the process where Shirley and hubby Neil had done it a few times before so they had some great tips and knew some of the pit falls and how to overcome them.

They have their own formula which starts out with Portland Cement. Neil had some bags left over from recent building projects ...

Added to the cement were sand, Perlite and peat moss which Shirley had sifted through a hardware cloth sieve to get all the lumps out. That was stirred and then water added in small increments. It helps to have an 'armed' man to do the mixing! Thank you Neil ...

Here we are looking all happy and hopeful that our projects would turn out well. We each made about three pots ....

Patty watches as Shirley and Neil show us how to squeeze the lumps of tufa mixture into patties which helps in getting the air out making a smoother tighter surface for the finished pot ...

The tufa mixture needs to be quite stiff; not soupy at all. The texture has to be such as to enable a lump of it to be worked with your hands ...

The mixture is tightly pressed into the pot which you've sprayed with an oil cooking spray so the tufa will come loose from the mold ...

We placed plastic at the bottom of the pot, pressed a pattie onto it, and start putting patties around the sides ...

After you get a little ways up the sides of the pot the tufa will start sliding into the bottom so another smaller pot is placed into the middle to hold the sides in place ...

It's hard to tell, but a smaller square black plastic pot has been placed inside the square pot being used as a mold. It might have to be cut out ...

The inside pot needs to be weighted with sand, bricks, or in this case a heavy rock to hold it down. On this piece I experimented with putting pieces of broken clay pots around the sides and top. After it dries some of the tuffa mix will be wire brushed away to reveal the bits of pottery. We'll see in a few days how it turns out ...

Here Patty experiments with decorating her piece with fern fronds ...

Shirley and Patty working away. There is a certain amount of speed involved to get done before the mixture gets too stiff. However, a little water can be added and the mixture stirred in the wheel barrow to slow down the setting ...

Our pieces were wrapped in plastic bags and will be left to cure for about three days. After that time the tufa can be gently removed from the molds (we hope!) and since it is not completely hardened any rough edges can be worked off with a wire brush, or the sharp edge of a knife. At this point the pieces can be filled with water to keep the hypertufa moist as it completes the hardening process. The plants appreciate some vinagar added to the water to counteract the alkalinty of the cement. The pieces are then left in the shade for a couple of weeks to harden completely. After drying holes are drilled for drainage using a drill bit made for concrete and ceramics.

Here is one of Shirley's previously finished pots. Beautiful isn't it?

Shirley's pots looked a little smoother than some you see because she adds sand and a little less perlite and peat moss.

After the work we sat down to a delicious chicken salad prepared by Shirley and served on their lovely deck ...

Here's a partial view of their deck which has many gorgeous plants in pots. It is overshadowed by the spreading limbs of several live oak trees. To the right you can see the green house that Neil is building to house tender plants in winter ...

What a lovely day. The weather was perfect. Thank you Shirley and Neil!

I hope this will give you some ideas on how to proceed on a hypertufa pot making party of your own. We'll show you our results in a couple of weeks after our pots have thoroughly cured and dried.

This is just one way of doing it. If you've worked with tufa and have some tips, experiences and/or photos to share we'd love to hear and see them. No doubt there are other ways of doing it and different mixtures of cement, Perlite and peat moss. Shirley, Neil and Patty, if I've left anything out please fill in for me.

Happy hypertufa! :-)

Comments (25)