SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

A bit of * NOSTALGIA * from my past!

nhb22
16 years ago

After seeing judiegal's stairs on jesemy's "Wainscoting" thread, a pleasant memory was triggered. :)

The stairs reminded me of the staircase in my grandparents home in Georgia. I did a search and found some photos of the house online, in addition to a few family photos that I already had. Many happy memories were had in that house, and I wanted to share the beautiful architecture with y'all. They don't make them like that anymore!

The house is neo-classical style with fluted columns. The front door framing is classic Greek revival. The room to the left was originally a screened porch and later closed in as a sun room. Sadly, the house, is a home no more, and currently being used as an alumni building for a college. The online photos are of an event at the college, so I have "whitened" out faces.

Current Restored Alumni House

My bedroom was on the top left and I use to play on the balcony, accessed through a large walk-in storage closet. The closet, with leaded glass cabinets contained another staircase to the attic w/ sunburst window. My grandmother kept a collection of dolls (from around the world) in the cabinets and the room was a bit scary with that creaky staircase to above.

{{gwi:1710101}}

Grandparent's Home

To the right was a drive under portico with side entrance to the stairs.

{{gwi:1710103}}

My Dad

Taken when my parents were visiting for Christmas. Doesn't he look cool!

{{gwi:1710104}}

My Mother

Look at the beautiful lead glass windows behind her!

{{gwi:1710105}}

The Stairs

Notice the stair treads off to the side. As children, we use to sit on these and they also opened to reveal hidden treasures.

{{gwi:1710106}}

The stairs had 6 sections - Three sections with steps and 3 landings. Not shown in photo, but at the top landing, was a beautiful large stained glass window. Also, at the top of the first landing was a large niche for flowers and statuary.

{{gwi:1710108}}

Foyer

This foyer was HUGE. You can tell just how large, from seeing the group of ladies in the foyer at the alumni function. This room could accommodate many, many people.

The dining room was through the first door. I wish I had a photo of it, but I do own the table. The table (my current dining room table) had a buzzer under the rug that we could ring with our feet. It signaled a bell in the large butlers pantry which was in between the dining room and kitchen. We grandchildren would pretend play and fought over who got to be the "Master" of the house.

The next room is the music room and adjoined the dining room and screened porch/sun room. The room held a piano and an ivory tusk fireplace screen. My grandmother told us to never touch the tusk, or we would have a terrible spell cast on us. Of course, we touched it whenever she wasn't looking. :)

{{gwi:1710110}}

Foyer Fireplace

You can tell how large the fireplace is, and the scale of the foyer wainscoting, by the standing lady. To the right of the fireplace was an entrance to a back hall, a guest room w/ bath and claw foot tub (one of three in the home), kitchen, breakfast, laundry and back porch. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of that kitchen. :(

{{gwi:1710112}}

Beautiful French doors and transoms of the living room. The next room on this side of the house was the study with a huge and rich, red velvet couch. I'd give my eye teeth to have that couch now.

{{gwi:1710114}}

My Parents

Sitting under the wainscoting in the foyer. The Christmas tree would be set up next to the fireplace and we would open our gifts and run up and down the foyer with joy.

{{gwi:1710116}}

Hope you enjoyed my trip to the past. Show me yours!

Comments (27)