SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scorpiohorizon

Can old rootstock from 4 yrs past cause RMV in my new roses?

scorpiohorizon
15 years ago

I have planted 21 roses in my new yard since last fall. I am told by my neighbor that the north side of my yard used to be planted with a lot of roses that were pulled out by the previous owner. My neighbor knows nothing about roses. She adopted two of the old roses from my yard 4 years ago and transplanted into her yard, and they are obviously Dr. Huey. And her Doc obviously has RMV.

I noticed late this summer that some of my new own roots from Chamblees that were planted on that same side of my yard appear to have signs on RMV--specifically, the yellowed veins in the leaves. I am hoping I am wrong and that this is some other issue, perhaps the product of a very dry summer and/or end of the season rose blues. At any rate, I actually had some old Doc Huey rootstock create a cane in that part of the garden even though the old roses were pulled out 4 years ago, so I know there is still something going on there. Is it possible that the north side of my yard has old Dr Huey rootstock that is giving my new roses RMV?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Comments (9)